Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 212 total)
  • Stupid names for kids
  • bodgy
    Free Member

I always thought that ‘Insertnamehere’ (pronounced INS-URT-NAM-EHERE) is a lovely name for a girl. 🙄

Seriously though; it’s not the kid’s fault that the parents are wazzocks. I can testify that weird names aren’t easy to live with, be they Chav or be they Posh.

funkmasterp

Seriously though; it’s not the kid’s fault that the parents are wazzocks. I can testify that weird names aren’t easy to live with, be they Chav or be they Posh.

Is your real name Joaquin? Go on, you can confide in us

Harry_the_Spider

Overheard in Pilsworth ASDA about 15 years ago…

“CANTONAAAAR! GET ‘ERE!”

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Yeah… you’re right…. Far too judgey for my own good…

Just checked out Mumsnet…

Apparently some daft bint wants to call her son “Penis Beaker.”

What you think?

RustySpanner

Smells a bit fishy to me.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My eldest is Ethan… some people call him E-fan or even Eeef. It makes my skin crawl. Real grown up adults mind you. When he started school some of the other kids called him E-fan, but they were only 4… by 5 or 6 they’d mastered it.

I’ve a nephew with a badly spelt name (in my grumpy mind anyway) but he’s a star of a lad so I let it slide 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Meet Kaos.

jairaj

Just found out an old colleague has had a new baby boy and called him Isambard

GrahamS

Meet Kaos.

Oooh I hope he makes it to captain!

crankboy
    Free Member

I have an odd name sufficiently odd to have only met one person who shares it in my life and am aware of a single fictional character who has it. Despite my mum’s strenuous denials I am sure she named me after the fictional character as she was a big fan of the radio show.

I have never really felt burdened by it and it meant I never had a nick name at school as oddbod said “why give you a nick name when your given one stands out?”

I have given my son a pensioners name but we call him Harry on a day to day basis and Harold only at the Drs and when telling him off.

shermer75
    Free Member

Since when the Spanish pronounce J as a Juh sound?

They pronounce ‘c’ as ‘juh’, hence

(obvs)

bodgy
    Free Member

It’s Mace.

vinnyeh

I have an odd name sufficiently odd to have only met one person who shares it in my life and am aware of a single fictional character who has it. Despite my mum’s strenuous denials I am sure she named me after the fictional character as she was a big fan of the radio show.

Bluebottle or Eccles?

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Wait for the day you meet someone called Siobhan but pronounced Sigh-o-ban or a Sian pronounced Cyan!!

donks
    Free Member

Used to work with brothers named kenson and Kayson……. never really thought that much about it untill nearly 2 years later we found out that their parents were called Ken and Kay!!!

bodgy
    Free Member

Vinnyeh – Slartibartfast, is that you?

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

“Zaphod…?”

maccruiskeen

of a single fictional character who has it

Sherlock?

Jabba?

Groucho?

I never had a nick name at school

The thing is – back in the day kids had to have a nickname as there were probably at least 3 or 4 kids in the same class and a fair few more in the school who all had the same name as them.

I did a bit of work in schools a few years back and out of a year group of 40 no two kids shared the same first name (and nobody had weird or weirdly spelled names either). Just the other week I worked with nearly 100 kids from 4 schools and there were hardly any duplicates then too. When I was that age you were lucky if you could manage to get 4 people round a table without some of them having the same name. In my geography class we had a table where everyone was called Andrew.

Amongst the kids I was working with it didn’t seem like anyone had a nickname – not just because of there being no repetition of names but because they all had names that were short and easy to say in conversation to begin with – there wasn’t even the need to shorten them.

vinnyeh

Take your pick.

Makes me a bit sad that my child naming days are behind me..

GrahamS

Harold only .. when telling him off.

“‘AROLD!” surely?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

took me ages to work out how to pronounce Niamh

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graham, can you please keep political photos out of this thread? Thanks.

crankboy
    Free Member

I missed the goon show bullet by a hairs breadth they went for the Archers.
    Defiantly the correct generation GrahamS , named after his granddad.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I know a couple who called their daughter Maybe, I queried the spelling expecting it to be May Bee (no better) but nope, it’s Maybe.

rossburton
    Free Member

I know someone who has just had another child and one of their two middle names is “Danger”.

beej

Geek baby name:

stuey
    Free Member

Time to re-post …
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw&t=2s[/video]
    🙂

MoreCashThanDash

From a family I saw at work once – if your family name is Sogi, don’t call your child Kuntal.

No one ever believed me until I was at a party and bumped into a teacher from their school who could back me up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

drlex
    Free Member

but few of us would care to put it on our cards. It takes a Turk to do that.

kayak23

cheekymonkey888
    took me ages to work out how to pronounce Niamh

Why? It’s like the batteries innit…

schrickvr6
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSf-KQORRk[/video]

milky1980
    Free Member

My brother in law wanted to call my nephew Axl as he’s a huge G’N’R’s fan 🙄

My sister managed to get him to accept it as a middle name, he’s going to get bullied at school enough as he’s got bright orange hair*!

Nothing against redheads, I like them but he’s bright blood y orange, hopefully it’ll calm down..

Markie
    Free Member

My dad saved me – mom wanted to name me Tarquin Hermes Trismegistus.

ads678

I prefer the good old fashioned Victorian names*.

Minty Badger, Scary Looker, Toilet and Susan Semolina Thrower are a few of my favourites!!

*According to horrible histories.

bob_summers

Since when the Spanish pronounce J as a Juh sound?

My point was, the kids were saying it more correctly than the teacher (if the child’s name was Spanish, rather than being named after a movie star).

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Joaquín

sirromj

I don’t get why anyone would want to name the kid after Otis the Aardvark – it just reminds me of the Otis & Marvin Reeves & Mortimer sketches.

jimbobo
    Free Member

My eldest is called Edward. The registrar asked us “how are you spelling that”? I couldn’t think of a different way, but he said you’d be amazed at the crap people try. He could make suggestions, but unless it was offensive he had to go with it!

funkmasterp

The book Freakanomics has a section about a scientist (it’s always the scientists) who called his sons Loser and Winner. Winner became a criminal and Loser a police chief. This adds nothing to the thread, but meh

grum
    Free Member

Just found out an old colleague has had a new baby boy and called him Isambard

I quite like that!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘Stupid names for kids’ is closed to new replies.