• This topic has 106 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Fraz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Stupid ****holes with big, daft, loud exhausts
  • iamtheresurrection

Is it just me who this really pisses off?

When and why did the police stop clamping down on 17 year olds with 1.2 Corsa and Fiestas with massive exhausts without silencers? I live in a reasonably nice part of town, but about 200m away from a main(ish) road. By and large, we never hear the traffic apart from inconsiderate little pricks with scaffold pipe exhausts.

I could almost let it pass through the day, but when it's a Friday/Saturday night and you're sleeping with the windows open it can be pretty horrific if the winds blowing the wrong direction. I can't help but want them to crash (which the wife finds really mature).

I don't understand why you'd want attention drawing to yourself like that personally, but let's not get into that. Why don't the police still clamp down on this – I think it's anti-social behaviour and I want it stopped. It's doing my head in.

Maybe it's a mid-30's thing to get so upset by this.

allthepies
    Free Member

Chill out grandad.

Innit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When and why did the police stop clamping down on 17 year olds with 1.2 Corsa and Fiestas with massive exhausts without silencers?

Because it requires effort to look under the car and determine it's illegal from the markings on it (If any)

If you have a motorbike with a loud can, it's easy for all to see and nicely stamped "not for road use" and makes bikes an easy target.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Didn't you know… by putting a big exhaust on their car, lowering the suspension and putting on a bodykit they are, infact, improving on the design characteristics that those folk with degrees spent ages trying to get right and turn their cars into superb handling 400bhp (out of the stock 1.2) sports cars.

Do you know nothing? I suggest you read Max Power to understand them better… then you too will want to do the same.

Or not 😉

Pisses me right off too, usually cos they drive like nobs and think their 1.2 Fiesta is faster than anything else on the road… and hence try to race anything they come across. Including my Speed Triple.

pearlbaz
    Free Member

To be honest, if that noise was present in the workplace, it would be sorted…promptly. But these little chavvy oiks seem to think it's their right to be disruptive and attract attention.

bless em!!!

glenh
    Free Member

Think you self lucky your next door neighbour doesn't sit revving his phat exhausted XR3i outside your house every day.
    It even interferes with my TV.

If only I had a potato big enough to plug it….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If only I had a potato big enough to plug it….

??

😈

iamtheresurrection

It is massively inconsiderate. I've got friends how live on a more major main road who have a one year old. They can't have the wondon open on a night cause the child* is scared shitless with the noise every time one of them goes past.

I once did put some Termis on a Ducati I had, but I left the silencers in and it was no louder the the stock exhaust. They took out the cat and re-mapped the engine so it was better in the mid range – althogh in truth I couldn't really tell the difference. I can half understand it here, given I did it myself, but some of the cars I'm talking about are MUCH, MUCH louder than that.

Who do I write to? Points of view? Readers Digest? The council?

* When people start thread saying they have this 'friend' who's sleeping with his best mates wife, we all assume we know who's involved. I promise I'm not the scared one year old 😉

iamtheresurrection

Peterpoddy.

I would. I seriously would.

mt
    Free Member

the size of there penis is inversely proportional to the size of the exhaust.

retro83
    Free Member

Chill out grandad.

Innit.

Yea blud!
    And besides, when you buy your midlife-crisis Harley you can be the one annoying the shit out of your neighbours with "THUT THUT THUT THUT THUT THUT THUT" as you sit outside their house on your surrogate youth. 😈

JEngledow
    Free Member

If southPark can change the American dictionary then why cant we change the English one:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don't really have too much of a problem with them (but then I don't live on a road). Didn't we all do things like that when we were kids – I had K&N air filters because it made my car sound better and would leave a blowing exhaust unfixed because I thought it sounded better.

And after all, many sports cars can make equal amounts of noise (usually hidden behind a valve that opens up at certain revs to get around noise regs). What I have a big problem with is when the loud exhausts are accompanied by kids driving like c0cks – that's where the real problems are.

CountZero

It's the stupid dump-valve noise on a 1.2 bloody Saxo as well, combined with a cheap subbox that is slightly out of time with the actual music that irritates me. I can remember one mag doing a custom job on a 1.6 Fiesta; K&N filter, chip, phat exhaust, spent £600 and improved performance by 3%. Which isn't great when the car had less than 100bhp to start with…

CaptJon
    Free Member

Teenagers in bazze up hatchbacks make me laugh out loud. All that noise from the stereo and exhaust but it is still a Saxo ffs, and your chubby becapped mates aren't going to help you get up that steep hill.

Keva
    Free Member

I could almost let it pass through the day, but when it's a Friday/Saturday night and you're sleeping with the windows open

<snigger>

stay up then, or is it too much effort on a Saturday night now you've reached the grand old age of mid thirties ?

jeesh… it's only some plebeian kid trying to draw attention to himself so that he appears to be 'cool'.

I can't help but want them to crash 🙄

Kev

iamtheresurrection

Didn't we all do things like that when we were kids

A lot did, yes. But the police were forever handing out producers to my mates which stopped the exhausts from getting too noisy. Now, as they don't seem to care the exhausts have grew bigger, noisier and more numerous.

iamtheresurrection

stay up then, or is it too much effort on a Saturday night now you've reached the grand old age of mid thirties

So, you're telling me I should stay up til 2 or 3am every Friday and Saturday in order for me to comfortably sleep with the window open. Really?

And you can roll your eyes at the crash thing, but it's true. I really have no compunction about hoping they'll write off their car on the next roundabout, putting an end to their midnight razzes up and down the road. I don't want them hurt, but if it's a consequence then I'm happy to live with it. 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But the police were forever handing out producers to my mates which stopped the exhausts from getting too noisy.

I can honestly say that I was never stopped and don't recall any of my friends being stopped either.

I must admit I do find myself getting very annoyed with 'kids' sometimes but I always try to tell myself what I told myself when I was a kid – 'don't ever become like a grown-up when I am older'. At the end of the day, kids have always broken rules and will always do so. I would rather the police were concentrating on stopping the kids with knives and the ones harrassing old ladies than stopping some Kev because they think his exhaust might be a bit noisy.

coogan
    Free Member

There is so many whinging little girls on this site its unbelievable.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I hate cars. As far as I'm concerned they are all loud and horrible. The 17yr old chav mobiles with the loud exhausts are indeed worse than most, but that's just relative to other motor vehicles. A large road, even without boy racer cars, still stops one year old children sleeping and forces people to shut their windows.

If you ask me, motorised vehicles (other than ambulances and fire engines) are selfish, loud and destructive and they should have their licence to use the Queen's Highways revoked. Pity no one ever asks me 😥

bedmaker

If you cant beat em, join em. 🙂

As an 18 – 19 year old in my succession of old vans, I was a total **** really.
    I'd slash my tyres if I saw myself do some of the things I did then around my 'hood today.

Keva
    Free Member

There is so many whinging little girls on this site its unbelievable.

exactly….

Kev

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mine's loud when I want it to be and quiet when I need it to be. As the owner of a noisy car I'm careful not to make more than a low grumble around residential areas after ~9pm, but it does have a small mid-box in there as well and it's all perfectly legal. I'd have preferred two 3" exits like the original instead of a single 115mm exit, but it's only really very noisy at 3000rpm (right in the middle of motorway cruise speeds IIRC) and there were no other options on the market at the time except a toyota original at twice the price of a turbo-back stainless setup.

Incidentally there's apparently some newish laws under which if the car is used in a way that alarms or upsets people (read as acceleratign past people and purposefully letting off to fire the dump valve, or revving it loudly for no reason etc) the police can give a warning (IIRC its called something like "section 59") – on second warning the car is taken and crushed.

But I have almost no problems with loud cars going past at night with the window open, my main problem is kids on the school field at the back booting a ball against a wall at 2am. But you don't hear me whining about it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

My midget is louder than most chavmobiles 😀 a friend of a friend has one with a brass exhaust which sounds awesome even compared to my stainless one!

Given time and money……………..

Next step is possible a 16v 1.4 k-series to shed some (considderable, its a BMC 1500 at the moment) weight form the front axel and get a revier engine,

Brake servo & 4 pot callipers (deperately needed)

knock 2" off the suspension all round, and covert to coilover/telescopic depending on budget

'body kit' well, take off the rubber bumpers and fill the holes, front air dam like B's, fair the underside and maybe bodge a diffuser under the rear end (isn't having access to a fluid dynamics simulator awesome 😀 ), replace the screen with a windshield.

Move battery to the back and shed all unececary weight.

Roll cage

Its either all that or buy a kit car, I'm undecided.

See, fiddling with car's isn't just for teenagers 😀

iamtheresurrection

I do love this site: it aint a problem for me, so just MTFU and get on with it.

Brilliant.

Go on then Coffeeking, out of curiosity, when/why would you want it to be loud?

Mine's loud when I want it to be

iamtheresurrection

mastiles_fanylion – Member

But the police were forever handing out producers to my mates which stopped the exhausts from getting too noisy.

Might depend on the force, I suppose. I'm Northumbria, and I'm talking about 15 years or so ago…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Go on then Coffeeking, out of curiosity, when/why would you want it to be loud?

When I'm out on the open roads or driving about town during the day, the sound makes me smile. I enjoy the sound, much as I enjoy music. The way it reflects back off buildings/tunnels, the way you can hear individual valves opening, muffles slightly by the initial whir of the turbo, then completely covered by the jet-like whistle as the turbo spools. The soft pop and burble of the overrun (if I'm running with that map). All things that make me smile to myself inside. And before you say it, none of it is for the benefit of others and I don't care if people dislike my car. That's the wonderful thing about personal choice, one persons noise is anothers orchestra, and providing it's not forced on you all the time it's all good. I suppose you could say I'd like mine loud all the time, but after 4 hours at motorway speed you tend to want it to be quieter and a constant drone has no audio quality, hence I've got a removable baffle for longer runs 🙂 As I also stated, at night I tend to crawl everywhere at <2krpm in residential zones as I'm aware its not fair on the neighbours who may have sprogs asleep.

DezB
    Free Member

The soft pop and burble of the overrun

I usually call that my follow-through.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well so long as you don't follow-through near me you can call it what you like 😀

But going back to the OP, what you're effectively saying is that the noise from a fairly distant main road annoys you on some nights when you choose to sleep with the windows open and when the wind is in the right (wrong) direction?

I hate the noise of other traffic too. I got a house away from main roads. On the odd night the wind is in the wrong direction I hear the planes landing at the airport. Damn those planes for being so noisy occasionally.

iamtheresurrection

Honest and open answer. I don't relate, but I can understand what you're saying.

It's a shame though that the noise isn't just inside the car and only you hear it, and instead everybody else is forced to listen to it too. To a lot of people, it's just a pain in the arse to have to hear it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's a shame though that the noise isn't just inside the car and only you hear it, and instead everybody else is forced to listen to it too. To a lot of people, it's just a pin in the arse to have to hear it.

Definitely, thats why I say I keep it minimal while driving in areas where it might be heard, some people are not so nice I'm aware. If it's that often surely a quick word with the plod would see an occasional car posted listening (they can do the roadside loudness testing easily, they've no need to check anything on the car phsyically).

BoardinBob

I miss my old MGF with it's de-cat pipe and Mike Satur Imola exhaust.

7am.

Cold frosty morning.

Start it up.

Blip the throttle.

Set off every car alarm in the street. 😳

mossimus
    Free Member

Not cars but when I was in my teens it was more or less compulsory to stick microns/allspeeds on to your 2 stroke motorbike.

Noisy as ****, no doubt annoying as **** to the middle aged/elderly but surely this is just what kids do?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Might depend on the force, I suppose. I'm Northumbria, and I'm talking about 15 years or so ago…

North Yorkshire, 25 years ago.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

loud pipes save lives. Or so the asshole harley riders think.

stumpy01

Gonna sound like an old git here, but loud exhausts do my nut in.

Where I live there is basically a square rectangular circuit around the town with roundabouts on all but one corner.
    And how the kids love to race around it in the evening either in their cars or scooters (age dependant).
    Round and round they go – when they'll stop nobody knows.

Oh….well that one's stopped by T-boning the person trying to pull out of the end of the road & his car is wrecked – oh and his girlfriend's head appears to have struck the windscreen……hmmmm. Better go & see if they are OK……..you what, you were doing at least 40 & didn't slow for the roundabout….and it's wet & your girlfriend didn't have her seatbelt on. Nice one.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stumpy – that goes back to my point. Loud exhausts should not be a cause for concern, but the associated bad driving should be.

I would rather see Goon A in his mum's bog-standard Corsa pulled for driving dangerously, than Goon B pulled just because his exhaust is a bit loud, irrespective of whether or not his driving warranted it.

stumpy01

MF – yeah – see your point about people being stopped for bad driving irrespective of whether their exhaust is loud or not.

But, IN GENERAL, round our way if you hear a car with a loud exhaust it won't be a sports car. It will be a 1.2 Saxo struggling to accelerate the 6 occupants to 50mph and being driven around corners way too fast.

The annoyance with loud exhausts is coming home in the summer from a hard day at work, wanting to relax with a beer in the garden but being forced inside to shut the patio door as there is a constant stream of stupidly loud exhausts going past the house for 3 hrs.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I don't mind loud cars provided they sound good. All these exhausts do is make the car sound like a wet fart.

Its utterly tragic. Your shitheap sounds worse with the stupid exhaust on than it did before, its only becuase you've spent 30 McDonald's shifts to pay it off its still attached to your shitheap.

Getting away from the lights sounds like someone with explosive squits being passed through a PA system.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Stupid ****holes with big, daft, loud exhausts’ is closed to new replies.