Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stupid electrician in moronic light fitting debacle . Long. Semi rant
  • singletrackmind

Was after a PIR outside light fitting to the house, and an underfloor heating controller moving and wiring in . So i contacted a local electrician and they sent out an engineer to see what needed doing . He surveyed the work and a written quotation arrived about a week later.
    I was happy with the price and wanted the work doing so i contacted them and said to proceed with the works.
    Got an email last night saying an engineer would be in today to do the works.
    Got home from work and its all gone very wrong. The dullard has mounted the light at eye level, so you are half blinded by it as you walk toward te steps its supposed to illuminate ,and its only 60w bulb.

To get the power feed he spurred off the celing rose inside the porch.
    I guess he used a 300 mm long SDS to drill trough at an angle as a rather large lump of plaster has been smashed off the inside wall. He was supposed to get the power from the porch light switch, but apparently that was not possible.
    So he took the feed L + N from te ceiling Rose. This is switched live . So to make the outside light come on you have to have the porch light on . Which shines very nicely through the glass door out onto the steps, negating the need for an outside light . I can have a PIR outside light , only if i leave the inside porch light on for the rest of my life.
    I can take the bulb out of the porch lamp , and then the PIR will work, but I wont be able to see in the porch as the PIR outside will not come on till i go out, then come back in to lock the door / tie shoe laces etc, and as light does not go round corners the spill wont fill the porch at all.
    What I dont know is why the guy just didnt fit the outside light and do the other jobs. Or why not grab the N wire from the celing rose and feed it through with the permanent live from the wall switch .
    Thus giving a switchable porch lamp , and a PIR activated outside light .
    and i haven’t even looked at what he has done with the heating controller, I am expecting blue tack and sellotape fixings…

TheBrick
    Free Member

That is shocking. Boom thish!

Seriously phone the boss, that is a terrible job.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

argh so frustrating I guess the only answer is to get them back and redo the work.

First question have you paid??

If not don’t and wait until you are happy with the work.

Stoner
    Free Member

thats proper bodgin’.

Pook

Sounds like the bloke who fitted my shower. I said “I’m 6’2 so it needs to be high enough for me to get under.”

I came back that evening to a shower fitted at exactly 6’2, so I could wedge undder it. The water sprayed out at right angles from the shower head and in no way gave me the ‘deluge soaking’ it was supposed to.

oldgit
    Free Member

I was hoping those sort of muppets had died out in the recession.
    Seriously though at eye level? that must look dreadful.

singletrackmind

Not paid and already emailed complaint . Very effecient lady rang back within 15 mins and they are sending round the original guy who quoted on the job ( over £200 ) to see what needs doing. Before anyone says DIY , yes , but the underfloor heating is downstairs in a rental , and there is a tax bill to offset.

singletrackmind

Update .= The underfloor heating controller was placed in the bathroom. Under the basin , so you could touch a live 240v switch panel with one hand, and wash your other hand at the same time. bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Garage lecy now gone off as well , so no electric garage door or PIR over garage .

I dont believe in coincidences.

TheBrick
    Free Member

me no think this man has even herd of 17th edition wiring regulations let alone knows how to look anything up in it.

sugdenr
    Free Member

That will be what Building Regs call a ‘Competent Person’ – because he knows what he’s doing and we are all incompetent plebs who apparently cant be trusted not to live up our entire house!

epicyclo

Stoner – Member
    thats proper bodgin’.

Nah, proper bodging works… 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

That really is pretty horrific. However I’d expect to have stated “I want the light THERE” and “I want the controller HERE”, and let him find a way to do it, rather than leave him to place it where he saw fit?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Can’t beat a rant that spins of a good old fashioned proper complaint…

Possibly a little more sarcasm next time, but 7/10.

saladdodger
    Free Member

STM it is play time for you

IIRC this work for outside lights and the bathroom work DEFINATLY comes under the Part P was the work registered with building control????

Ask to see the building control report and ALSO the NICEIC minor works test sheet, that will get there arses pouting 😉

NZCol

Sounds pretty shoddy.

When i was renovating the house I had a sparky who was excellent, mate as well. He had an accident on his bike and was off so i had to get another one to do 2 things – 2 lights in the new dining room ceiling and 2 outdoor downlights.

Given the table was underneath the lights and holes were marked on masking tape I was somewhat surprised to find them at 90 degrees to where they were supposed to be. One over the table and one, well, I suppose lighting the middle of the floor. Bizarre.
    Consternation came with the small fireball caused by the outdoor lights being left on for a few hours. Turns out he had done something very stupid.

End result was large argument and they had to fix my roof (full new sheet of GIB, GIBs topped, sealed and painted) as the hole repair was so obvious and make right the outdoor bit. Qualified sparky, I only got one because we’re not allowed to do stuff here ! WHich is interesting being an electrical engineer 🙄

Sonor
    Free Member

I was hoping those sort of muppets had died out in the recession.

If only, there are plenty of five day wonders still out there. The “professional” bodies overseeing the Part P scheme are now getting a lot more stringent with who they allow into the scheme.

saladdodger
    Free Member

“professional” bodies

That will be the NICEIC which is a regestered charity 🙄

Yeah, I love these ‘professional’ bodies, that don’t see me as a fit and proper sparky, despite 5 years at college, C&G 2391 Inspection & Testing, 16th & 17th Edition, 20 years experience, 5 years in Contract Management, ran my own business for a year now turning over £90k – I don’t have the right jobs to show them, so don’t get the accreditation.

BTW, I’ve not applied and failed – just don’t fit the ‘criteria’ to even apply yet.

Sonor
    Free Member

This could turn into a Sparky’s moan session about those Professional bodies. Considering people are getting banned on this forum for swearing, I think I need to stop now.

You want to try being in the Highway Electrical Industry and comply with ASLEC/HEMSA – what a joke.

My ‘Portfolio’ that I seemingly need to prove that I’m competent to connect Brown, Blue & Green/Yellow into a plastic box within a lighting column (and seemingly a requirement to run my own business), was due to be compiled/assed by an ex painter and decorator – now Civils Supervisor, with no electrical experience, but an Authorising Officers ticket for the governing body…

How bizarre, but mine is not to reason why.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stupid electrician in moronic light fitting debacle . Long. Semi rant’ is closed to new replies.