Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stumpjumper, Im 5'9" do i need med or large frame.
  • daz395
    Free Member

Hi. My first post, Ive decided to start riding again after about 15yrs. My current bike is an original orange clockwork 17" which feels and looks small.
    Ive decided to go for a stumpjumper fsr comp or elite and will be buying by mail order so would like any advice regarding most suitable frame size. Theres no specialized distributor in my area so trial isnt an option at the moment.

Nico
    Free Member

It's a tricky one. Normally you'd expect a medium to be as big as you'd want for 5' 9" but you might find it quite short. There'll be plenty of standover room on a large, due to the frame design, so it's down to top tube. I've got a medium and I'm five ten, but initially I found it very "not stretched out". Medium is still probably your best choice.

Moses

At 5'9" I'd be choosing between a samll and a medium. You need to try one, even at the bother of travelling to a dealer.

mtbrDot
    Free Member

M only, L is too large for you save you have the shortest legs in the world.

CHB

definately not large.
    I am 5'11 and have a 19" 1992 Clockwork that fits fine. I have a large 2005 FSR that if anything is a tiny bit on the large size of perfect for me (I fitted a shorter stem).

rs
    Free Member

I'm 5'10" and had a medium enduro, it was relatively long compared to my DB alpine that i have now, no way do you need a large.

grumm
    Free Member

Definitely a medium imo – I tested one and it seemed the right size for me at 5'8 ish.

I take it you've seen this?

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/contentPages.asp?pageID=62

robarnold
    Free Member

I'm 5'9" and the medium suited me perfectly. Last thing you want after not riding for 15 years is to be hindered by a bike that's too big for you

baldSpot
    Free Member

5'7" and ride a SML Rockhopper.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Most likely a medium would suit best. I'm about the same height as you and ride a medium Epic, however I did also try the large and felt that would also have been ok.

pcb
    Free Member

I ride a large and i'm 6'3".

Medium i'd say.

simon1975

Aren't these fairly common hire bikes at trail centres? Go and treat yourself to a fun day out on one before spending that kind of money!

v10
    Free Member

Go for a medium unless your wildly out of proportion! We sell loads of SJ FSRs every year, I tend to find them to be a little bit smaller than most for a given size but at 5'10 i find myself inbetween M&L (ive ridden both sizes from our demo fleet comfortably) but would probably opt for a medium if it was my own money.

However there is still no better sizing tool than getting your arse on a saddle and having a go 😉

Wharfedale
    Free Member

I'm 5,9 (29" leg) and find my medium SJ FSR a perfect fit. Mines an 08 model which has the same frame design as 09.

HTH

daz395
    Free Member

Thanks guys for the great response. I had seen the size guide at cyclestore which says medium up to 5'10" so knew it was a close thing. I think im proportionately short at 5'9" with 29.5" inside leg. Ill try to see one the weekend before i splash out.

daz395
    Free Member

Went for the medium frame. Got a stumpjumper elite 09 in white from ebay imaculate condition £1260. Currently theyre retailing for £1860 so not a bad deal.What do you think? Cant wait for it to arrive now and get out there.

racefaceec90

sounds like you got a great deal!!!enjoy your new steed!!! 🙂

daz395
    Free Member

Thanks. It took a while to convince myself that i liked the white 09 frame over the 08 black/grey.

racefaceec90

i had an 06 fsr comp,and can vouch that they are great bikes.you can tackle just about anything(within reason)on them.i'm thinking about saving for one of the 2010 comp models,as i miss the fsr!!!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I've just bought a medium 09 Rockhopper Expert for £750 and I'm 6'1" and a bit… Felt spot on for me. Plenty of standover and reach is perfect.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper, Im 5'9" do i need med or large frame.’ is closed to new replies.