Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Stumpjumper FSR 29er Evos – Feedback from owners?
  • warns74
    Free Member

Hi all,

Pretty new to the forum and looking for some feedback from those who own or have ridden a Stumpjumper FSR Evo 29er, either Alu or Carbon.

I’ve been riding a carbon enduro SL for the past 5 years and until recently it’s been my only bike. Being 6’4″ and riding an XL frame there is a certain amount of appeal in bigger wheels (not looking for another 26/29 debate I promise!). I’ve very recently built up an Orange Clockwork 29er and love it and the wheel size works well with the XL frame and I love the way it rides. Im now thinking about a similar build project with a stumpy fsr evo frame to replace the Enduro.

Anyone out there got one or ridden one (Alu or Carbon) who can give me some feedback?

Heart says go for the carbon as my enduro has been pretty bullit proof but my wallet says Alu!

Any pros / cons I shuold be aware of?

Cheers

Paceman
    Free Member

Check the “All Mountain 29ers” thread above. Someone was feeding back on their new Stumpy 29er.

warns74
    Free Member

Thanks, thats what prompted this post, was looking for a bit more info.
    Cheers

heihei

I bought one of the carbon Evo frames from Bikescene and built it up Saturday. Build is X-Fusion forks, 1×10 XTR, and carbon Roval wheels. All-in, the bike weighs 26.2lbs with a dropper post, with the frame weighing 5.6lbs including BB and seat-clamp.

To date, I’ve only done the one ride – a 20 mile loop through the Surrey Hills taking in St Martha’s. That said, I think this bike is the one that has impressed me most for 1st ride impressions. The light weight and being a 29er mean it climbs well, esp in the climb setting on the RP23, but perhaps not as well as the Intense Spider Comp 29er I tested or other DW / VPP linkage bikes, but not far off.
    On singletrack and descents though, this bike blew me away. The combination of 29er, relatively slack HA, and suspension design meant it was stable and supple encouraging v quick speeds, but what surprised me most was how fun it was. You end up looking for every lip to boost, every bank to wall-ride / hip etc, all stuff you don’t expect from a 29er.
    Putting an element of science into this, Strava times were quite telling – 30 mins after jumping onto the bike, I put in a personal best down Barry Knows Best, a trail I’ve ridden 100s of times on many different bikes. Further evidence of the speed of the bike came from my riding buddy who is generally a quicker rider than me struggling to keep up on many sections of trail. In fact the bike was so quick and laterally stiff over the rocky stuff, it started to show the limitations of the Roval wheels.
    As I say, this is only 1st-ride impressions, but as these go, I’m hooked and can’t wait to get my next fix! As a result, I’ve immediately sold my Ibis Mojo HD!

I should also add that the above probably also applies to the regular Stumpy FSR 29er. My mate got an S-Works version at the same time and rode with us on Sunday, with similar results as measured by Strava and general observations about his riding speed.

Worth noting that I also ride a Camber 29er and a Yelli, so this isn’t just a 29er thing! In fact one way I’ve described the bike is like a Yelli with 135mm suspension!

Cheezpleez

like a Yelli with 135mm suspension

Yes please!

warns74
    Free Member

Heihei – thank you that is really useful stuff, sounds like you are smitten 🙂

Did you buy the “Trace” fork and do you happen to know if you can run a 140mm fork on the non-evo carbon frame?

Was there any flexbility from bike scene when you bought?

heihei

Yep def smitten!

Running Trace forks @ 140mm on both the Evo and non-Evo. My riding buddy discussed fork choice with Bikescene and they didn’t mention any issues with running a 140mm fork with either. Front and rear feel very well balanced, and based on how stiff the frame is, I def think a 34mm fork is the right choice vs 32mm chassis.

Tracey

There isnt any flexibility with Bike Scene as they are selling Specialized clearance frames and bikes. I got a Sworks Carbon Enduro full bike for £3700, should have been £5900 Bought Kevin a Sworks Carbon Stumpjumper frame for Christmas at £1099. you cant go wrong at them prices

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/SPECIALIZEDCLEARANCEFRAMES-92.html?sort=2&page=1&bid=0&min_price=&max_price=

warns74
    Free Member

Great stuff and definitely food for thought. Thanks again.
    Will keep an eye out for you flying along the Surrey Hills!

Toasty

Good news about the Stumpy 🙂 I’ve got a regular one waiting to be built, with some tapered Revs.

Bikescene chucked in an S-Works M5 frame for £200 and I’m currently in turmoil, trying to decide which to chuck cash at and build up first. Mayhem in a month, not sure how well the FSR will handle slop.

heihei

warns74….seen this…..

Evo for sale

Tracey

Running 160mm on Kevins, feels OK

Gotama
    Free Member

Hei hei, where did you get your Trace from, I didn’t think they were available yet? Thinking about sticking one on my yelli if i can drop it down to 120mm.

heihei

LBS (Head for the Hills) ordered from Upgrade. You can see availability here…..

Upgrade

Gotama
    Free Member

Ah cheers, I’ll go and have a word with Rog some time.

warns74
    Free Member

Google is your friend. Freeborn Bikes seem to have 120 and 140mm?

Gotama
    Free Member

Or i could just use this forum to ask someone who i know lives locally to me where he got his……..which has been more useful than google as i would prefer to give Rog and Dan my business rather than a faceless internet seller or for that matter Freeborn.

heihei

Freeborn not in stock – they get them in from Upgrade too. I’m with gotama on this one – tell Rog I sent you!

PS What colour Yelli is yours? Seen black and pink around, and have a green myself!

Gotama
    Free Member

Will do.

Think mine could have been the pink one you’ve seen as i don’t know of any others….albeit it’s purple. Can’t decide if I like the colour or not but as i picked it up second hand I didn’t have much option. Great bike for round us although your comments on the stumpy have got me thinking……and £1550 for a carbon frame is a good deal.

warns74
    Free Member

Chaps, Ladies, as per title, any more first hand experience of the Stumpy FSR 29er Evos? Keen on the carbon but if the non Evo will take a 140mm fork is there a noticeable difference between that and the Evo?

warns74
    Free Member

Heihei, thanks for the heads up on the Alu Evo. I know this bike well, (belongs to a mate), it’s an absolute cracker, but having had the carbon Enduro and it being so good, plus your glowing report, Im sort of leaning towards sticking with carbon.

Toasty

Higher BB on the non-Evo, so I’d assume even higher with 140s on. Not a huge amount aside from that, slightly shorter top tube, slightly longer wheelbase, both of which might come from the longer forks.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Rog is the go to man 8)

llama

I’ve had a go on the non evo

Much much better than I expected. Liked it as much as a tallboy, if anything preferred it. Reminded me of the old old old 5 inch travel fsr enduros. But the carbon and the non standard shock put me off.

It comes with 130 up front so I don’t suppose an extra 10mm unsagged is going to hurt.

paulpalf
    Free Member

I have a 2012 Alu that i built from a frame with Fox 34’s:
    http://paulpalf.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/20120722-new-toys/
    Best bike I ever owned. I live in Vancouver and use it for everything from epic XC in the alpine to riding the shore.
    Only gripe is the bottom bracket is too low, keep smacking the pedals on rocks and roots. Maybe if I did it again I would go for a non-evo and fit an angleset.

Toasty

Yeah, exactly the reason I got the regular one. Bought a massive size which would only make the issue worse.

tomat0
    Free Member

I’ve had my non-evo for two months, stonker of a bike really.

Won’t win any hillclimbs but it’ll winch up owt you’ve got the legs for. Comes alive with a bit of help from gravity, more playful than i expected it might be, bouncy bits are really well balanced front and rear (but i suspect you’re going down the custom build road?).

I don’t expect i’ll grow fond of it in the same way as i did my Orange but, objectively, i can’t fault it.

JCL
    Free Member

I have a similar bike to paulpalf. 34’s, aluminum Evo 29, XO/240’s etc. Probably about 29-30lbs. Really wanted the carbon as it’s quite a bit lighter but could only get the horrid Troy Lee paint model. Still, it’s the fastest trail bike I’ve ever owned. I love the low BB and rarely have an issue with it. Certainly would trade the stability for it being any higher but I know others feel different. If it had another degree off the head angle and stealth routing it would be absolutely perfect. I’m keeping my fingers crossed they at least do the latter for next year and don’t put the stupid short stays like the Enduro on it. One of the guys at MBR has a carbon one with carbon wheels and XX1 that is just over 25lbs. Nuts.

tomw_n
    Free Member

got one, love it. replaced my 2011 enduro pro carbon. just like the other posters have said, feels lively & nippy, kind of the opposite of a lot of 29ers I’ve ridden.

Mine is around 13kg (alu frame). Put XT brakes on it and got Crossmax STs on the way. Perhaps a Gamut bashguard if I find one cheap.

pic

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper FSR 29er Evos – Feedback from owners?’ is closed to new replies.