Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stumpjumper Carbon FSR 29er 2013 BB shell question
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

Anyone have any idea if this frame has a aluminium BB shell that the PF30 bearing cups push into, or do the cups push directly into the carbon ?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Likely to be directly to carbon. The idea of press fit was to eliminate using Ali sleeves. All the carbon PF 30 frames I’ve come across (cannondale,cervelo,Parlee) hav’nt used an insert.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

OK that makes sense.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

I asked mainly because I have a new carbon frame bike which has a PF30 BB, the BB cup on one side wasnt correctly fitted in the frame on assembly as there was a small gap between the lip and the frame on the drive side about 1mm or a tad less.
    clearly this would allow the possibility of a bit of movement although not a lot clearly and I was concerned that any movement between cup and frame could do any mischief to a carbon shell. i.e wear

allthepies
    Free Member

Pretty sure my lurcher (with pressfit BB) had an ali insert.

Jason
    Free Member

If it is the same as my 2012 carbon Epic then it is carbon sleeve, it looks like it is lined with a different sort of carbon fibre to the rest of the bike. I am not sure for 2013 frames, but last year Specialized recommended fitting the BB30 cups with a special two part adhesive, once it is fitted it shouldn’t move (or creak).

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Hopefully its a surface harder than the material used in the cups. Surely they cant get that basic principle wrong…could they

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper Carbon FSR 29er 2013 BB shell question’ is closed to new replies.