Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Stuff I wish I'd never planted in the garden
  • bearnecessities

Jerseychaz, you’re not suggesting creating a 1/4 acre veg patch are you?!

If you are, I’d nuke the lot and then dig over roughly in November with a spade – let a few good frosts get into the soil (good for nutrients) and then next year, rotavate and use as veg patch. That’s a hell of a big area though unless you really know what you’re doing! (Or will be using membranes etc).

If you don’t want to nuke, just cover now and repeat step above from November. Ideally you’d take the turf off, but that’s a hell of a lot to dispose of.

jimmy

Stevenmenmuir is trying to lure me into his trees. Concerned

I’ve been and it was quite a ride.

My garden’s 2 year old so I’ll bookmark this for ~5 years. I have put in quite a few of the aforementioned.

jerseychaz

Does the mint smell nice when you walk on it though?

Sort of. The sheep that live there now are ready sauced!

bear… – oh yes, and probably more! The plan is for a bout of self-sufficiency in France, largely organic and we’ll be growing some of our own meat as well. The septic tank soakaway has been earmarked for a wildflower “meadow” for the bees (apologies for the slight hijack!)

bearnecessities

You know that you don’t grow meat don’t you 😀

Good luck then; if you’re going totally chemical free, just cover up now (well). No point in trying to just irradiate the mint; just tackle the whole plot, and good luck.

maccruiskeen

Does the mint smell nice when you walk on it though?

I stayed at a campsite in Forcalcier which had mint growing amongst the turf. Lovely mintiness everywhere you walked and sat.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

My neighbour has been shovelling dirt into my garden for the last few days….. the plot thickens

timber

Dangerourbrain – unfortunately horse chestnut doesn’t keep well for too long, 3 years at a push. On the positive side, it splits easy.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Too kind Jimmy, too kind.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Stuff I wish I'd never planted in the garden’ is closed to new replies.