Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Studying for a Computing and IT degree with the Open University
  • rentachimp
    Free Member

Hi all; Looking for some sagely advice.

I can potentially get funding to study the above degree through my current employer.
    My career arc has been an interesting one; from studying music up until 19, to working as a tree surgeon for 5 years, to my current position working for an Assembly Member at the National Assembly for Wales.

I have been thinking of study at FE level for a few years now, and time is ticking to enrol for 2014. Just want to know if anyone has experience of this field, and what to expect both from study and doors it will open, career prospects etc.

Also thinking of Mathematics and Statistics as an accompanying module.

Ta.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you’re interested, can handle staying in you’re current role long enough that you will not have pay anything back and you can get funding go for it. Even if ypu never use it getting a qualification for free is very rare. Tree surgery sounds more interesting though! Adding some maths and stats to the computing is a very good call.

rentachimp
    Free Member

Tree surgery is interesting, but pays badly, at leaSt in South Wales. Loved doing it, and still do when I can, but have a family and cycling habit to provide for now :P.

Cougar

You’d almost certainly be better served with something like an MSCA, CCNA or VCP if you want a career in IT, I’d hazard.

Conan257
    Free Member

Have a look at the wages you’d likely earn with those qualifications…

Then appreciate companies are really after experience to go with them.

As above, i’d suggest CCNA/CCNP would be a good line to persue…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Depends what area of IT he want to go into.

rentachimp
    Free Member

I had no idea that there were other paths. I Also have no idea what area of IT I want to go into :/

brassneck

VCP will be costly as you need the VMWare course ticked off to be accredited. Cheaper than a degree mind.

If you’ve the aptitude I get a lot of recruiters harassing me for having RHCE & VCP for cloud / hosting companies.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Studying for a Computing and IT degree with the Open University’ is closed to new replies.