Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Student Loan Co
  • Northwind

Ah now my other brother… He sent them the form to say he was living abroad. They sent back a form to say more or less “We have received your request to change your status to “living abroad” and it is all fine. Please contact us to confirm that you wish to go ahead with it”

We received the letter on the redirect and contacted them to say “He’s already told you that”, they said “Well we can’t take it from you, only from him”.

Taff
    Free Member

I thought if you left the country you stopped paying??

you can do if you don’t return! My friends have done it, don’t agree with it but its common

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I’m sure if I didn’t have relatives in the UK and i was dishonest I could have just left without telling them and nothing would have come of it.

It’s people like that who are partially responsible for the student loans co (an american company – wtf) going crazy on the rest of us who don’t just take out loans and then flee back home.

duckman

PAYE is a terrible way to pay it off, your employer takes the money off and makes one payment a year on your behalf 😕 I only noticed my loan going down after I started to dd it myself, not that that didn’t stop them threatening me despite me having references for the agreement to change to a dd….chuggers!

unklehomered
    Free Member

PAYE is a terrible way to pay it off, your employer takes the money off and makes one payment a year on your behalf I only noticed my loan going down after I started to dd it myself, not that that didn’t stop them threatening me despite me having references for the agreement to change to a dd….chuggers!

No way, I only pay anything at moment because of the idiotic way I’m paid, but over the whole year I don’t hit the threashold as I’m part time!

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’m slightly worried by all this!

I graduated in 2008, and have been paying off a reasonable amount since (got a job almost instantly), started at £70 a month, now quite a lot more, taken straight out of my salary on PAYE, I’d rather assumed it was going down, but I shall investigate! I’ve not had any correspondence from them for a long time, no idea what my online details are!

Taff
    Free Member

You should get an annual statement from them. Tempted to look into this DD alternattive to paye to see how much I would save.

njee20
    Free Member

Edit: you can only opt out of PAYE in the last 23 months though.

An annual statement goes to my parents, but I’ve not seen one for a few years.

Just managed to remember my login details, can’t work out if they’ve taken into account my PAYE payments made this FY, but it’s somewhere around £7000, so it’s coming down!

tarquin
    Free Member

Just to necro thread this, as it is April, my payment has been reassessed by them, and based on the “RPI” it has been adjusted from £131 to £77.

Originally it was about £111 in 2011, then increased last year, now it drops like a stone!

Seems to me someone thought shit, we are going to lose out on a lot of interest here, as at this rate the loan will be paid off in the next few years. Quick drop the payments so we make some more money!

We will see if they mange to take the right amount of money on the right day yet or if they will bugger that up again and try to blame me.

ell_tell
    Free Member

PAYE is a terrible way to pay it off, your employer takes the money off and makes one payment a year on your behalf I only noticed my loan going down after I started to dd it myself, not that that didn’t stop them threatening me despite me having references for the agreement to change to a dd….chuggers!

So let me get this straight, if I make dd payments my outstanding balance will come down quicker than if I stick with PAYE?

Kevevs
    Free Member

go up a mountain or ride a bike ffs, live a little tarquin you troll ****.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ell_tell

Aye. On paye the tax man takes all the payments stores them up and then once a year writes a cheque to slc on your behalf.

This means you accrue interest on the whole amount the whole time.

I phoned earlier this week and got a stop notice put on my account. Lets see if it actually works!

They are all paid off at last ! ( so they should be – due to the bonus scheme for working internationally at my work there were a few months where i was down on my paycheck by 10 times my minimum payment which believe me you notice….. )

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Well to be the odd one out I’ve not had a problem with the SLC, they gave me the loan instalments when they said they would, started the repayments when they said they would and finally processed the stop notice a couple of months ago when I showed them proof from my payslips that I’ve paid the loan off – and in top on this already refunded a small over payment before the end of the tax year.

Each year I’ve had annual statements etc and access to my online account, when ever I’ve had a question they have answered my call after a couple of minutes, no worse than any other financial institution.

I think it is HMRC that holds on to the repayment reductions not your employee when repaying via PAYE until a few months after the end of each tax year.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Ell_tell

Aye. On paye the tax man takes all the payments stores them up and then once a year writes a cheque to slc on your behalf.

This means you accrue interest on the whole amount the whole time.

Yep, I had heard that before but wasn’t aware setting up a dd would get around this. Will investigate further thanks.

FWIW I graduated in 2003 with around £12.5k and have been paying back ever since, yet I still owe around £9k. Seeing as I’m stuck home with man flu this weekend I might tot up all my repayments from my payslips over the years to see what I’ve actually paid back as this doesn’t seem right to me.

zokes
    Free Member

Outstanding. Just got off the phone with them.

Either they owe me 3000 quid, or I still owe them 3000 quid, and they don’t seem to be able to make their minds up as to which is correct, so they’ll carry on taking 344/m until they work it out 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

i got my letter through about the stop notice – tomorrows payday ….. lets see if it still gets taken…..

mrmo
    Free Member

i am on the old system and below threshold, I applied for a deferement sent off the paperwork, one month had a bonus that took it over the threshold for that month. If you read the pay slip it was quite clear it was the exception, so they refused the deferment, took a payment, i then cancelled the DD, called them up to ask what they were playing at. They apologised for their screw up, and asked if i would reinstate the DD.

They have asked every year since, **** will i. If i earn the money then i will reinstate, until then they haven’t a hope.

I do wonder how much money has been lent out and how much will never be paid back? Even those on the newer above 15/16k loans probably never pay the amount back as payments stop after so many years.

toby1

trail_rat, in your last 2 years they write and say ‘switch ti direct debit’ as mentioned above the taxman takes it and them lumps it to them at the end of the year. So they don’t take it, the tax office do. So they can’t stop it when they need to.

the switch to DD was simple and painless for me and it meant I stopped paying when I was supposed to with no stress and no overpayments.

I have no complaints about the system or the way it was administered. I am glad to be shot of it though 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

the last 2 years ….. they started taking my payments last june – my last 50 quid is due tomorrow.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Student Loan Co’ is closed to new replies.