Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Student Loan Co
  • tarquin
    Free Member

Big bunch of bullies sending rude letters accusing me of not paying them in November.

Jumped down my neck fast enough to say that I was in arrears. Checked my UK account, payment was taken fine in October and December, but not in Nov. phoned the bank, turns out that they never requested payment then for whatever reason hence it didn’t get paid.

Tried to login online but it won’t work, now I have to do the run around costing me money phoning the UK, the place I left as I couldn’t get a graduate job earning enough to be able to repay my loan. If I was still there I would just be covering the interest plus a small amount if I was lucky enough to have a job.

Now they jack the repayments through the roof every year. No option to bulk pay 6 months or so I have to pay them monthly.

And breath, poor rant I know, more expletives and capitals needed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh yes ….

they eventually started taking mine after 3 years of earning over the threshold…. but no letter , no notice …. they just started taking it. Lucky i was aware of it and that they may take it at any time… i have friends that live so close to the bone that it would have left them un able to eat.

im curious to know what happens in may when i calculate its paid off and they TRY to keep taking payments till the end of the tax year…. they can forget that.

headfirst
    Free Member

I thought if you left the country you stopped paying??

tarquin
    Free Member

I’m sure if I didn’t have relatives in the UK and i was dishonest I could have just left without telling them and nothing would have come of it.

If you leave the country you are supposed to give them a UK address and details of your earnings abroad, then they just make a big number up and force you to pay them that monthly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you leave the country you are supposed to give them a UK address and details of your earnings abroad, then they just make a big number up and force you to pay them that monthly.

It’s the same number the rest of us have to pay.

tarquin
    Free Member

It’s the same number the rest of us have to pay.

No it’s not, earnings based depending on the exchange rate and cost of living as well as some BS factor.

trail_rat
    Free Member

some may say its the lowest interest youll ever pay …but i want shot of them ….. dont trust them at all !

zokes
    Free Member

They wrote me a priceless letter a while back saying I needed re-assessment for this year, and threatening that a default payment of 249 GBP would be taken each month by DD from my account.

I never bothered replying – up until then they’d been taking 330 GBP 😆

However, the silly sods don’t seem to have tried to take anything from my UK account, and list me as ‘in arrears’ on their website. Not sure how – it’s hardly my fault that they’ve not bothered to use said DD agreement to take their 249 GBP.

Bunch of asshats only surpassed in incompetence by the DVLA

ojom
    Free Member

Never has another more inept company existed (well apart from British Gas) as the SLC and Thesis Servicing.

Paid all mine off after 12 years this year but it was a struggle trying to explain to them that they took the wrong amount by DD last september and were trying to load other DD’s later on to make up the difference.

Apparently they miscalculated payments across thousands of accounts one month so charged a blanket £25 and came chasing the money outstanding! Utter ineptitude as they were accusing people of non payment of full amount – they were the ones who messed up.

Anyway i would put money on them being at fault.

MrSmith
    Free Member

. i have friends that live so close to the bone that it would have left them un able to eat.

But what’s the salary level to start paying it back? 22-25k? Perhaps your friends need to get their lifestyle expenditure and priorities sorted.

jonba
    Free Member

trail rat, you should contact them and they will make arangements to stop taking it from your payslip and set up a direct debit – this is now a standard procedure. If you don’t they will keep taking the money until the end of the tax year and you will have to claim it back. This happened to my sister and it was a maassive pain and also a significant amount of money being taken.

Useless company – took them 6 months to take money off me then they had the cheek to write to me and tell me it was my fault despite both me and my employer having contacted them on several occasions. Finance department says this is standard so just ignore.

Paid mine off last year. Settled just before the end of the tax year to make things easier.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“But what’s the salary level to start paying it back? 22-25k? Perhaps your friends need to get their lifestyle expenditure and priorities sorted. “

i agree , im not going to defend them but surely they could send out a letter the month before saying “next month we are going to start taking money from you”

spawnofyorkshire

But what’s the salary level to start paying it back? 22-25k? Perhaps your friends need to get their lifestyle expenditure and priorities sorted.

mine is set to take 10% of everything i earn over £16.5k, so if you’re at the threshold and have a high cost of living (e.g. daaarn saarf) you could easily get caught out

I have no option to defer and making extra payments isn’t feasible at the moment so i’m stuck with this stupid loan where i only started paying off the original loan this year after 7yrs of racking up interest

somafunk

I took one out in 1996/97 to help cover my rent when i was sitting an HND in Mech Engineering & CAD, the course was stopped after 1 year due to the amount of folk that dropped out and i was given the option of transferring onto the second year Electronic Engineering at the same college or traveling 110 miles to sit Mech Engineering & CAD at Glasgow Caledonian, i choose to sit the Elec Eng and do the Mech Eng by distance learning. I still get chased for the loan but as i’ve never earned above the threshold they can sing for it seeing as i was fked about so much.

withersea
    Free Member

Tarquin, if they’ve p!ssed you about write to your local mp asking them to complain for you. For some reason you’ll get a much better response although it still isn’t quick

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I graduated in 2002. I started earning above the threshold ( was it 16k back then) almost immediately. I called to advise them as I was a frightened 21 year old who’d never had debt before. Since that time I have changed jobs 4 times with considerable salary increases each time. They took their very first repayment from me in August 2011.

I have now packed in work and sent them a letter advising as much. No more payments to be made until I am back in employment (won’t be for a while) so since 2001 I have paid approximately 1500 quid off my original 13k loan. They can bury me with the debt as far as I am concerned. Sod ’em.

BruceWee

A couple of years ago I got in touch with them to let them know I was living abroad and to give them my new address. I spoke to someone on the phone and they told me if I didn’t send in salary statements then they would charge the full amount. Since I don’t like sending anyone personal information like that I told them to just charge me the full amount which I think was round about £500 a month. I also paid £1500 with my credit card to get things started.

Two years later I’m still waiting for them to send me a bill. The other day I got a letter saying I had to send them salary statements or they would start charging me the full amount per month. In the next paragraph they threatened to send someone after me and make me pay the costs for that. So I’m not sure if they want me to pay the full amount or if they want to send someone to find out how much I make.

How can they be so stupid as to contradict themselves in a single letter. And why can’t they start sending me bills so that I can start paying them back. Going to call them now and find out what they mean.

Do they just prefer threatening people to actually collecting the money they’re due?

unklehomered
    Free Member

But what’s the salary level to start paying it back? 22-25k

I chuffing wish, 15 K,for me, and not going up with inflation , so dropping every year in real terms- I pay 9%. And I graduated in 2002. For those my generation does anyone know if it expires at all like the newer ones or am I stuck with this shit for the rest of my life? Cos I’m yet to earn enough to even reduce it, I’m just paying the interest. I used to work in consumer finance, if this was FSA regulated I’m pretty sure it would be illegal.

BruceWee

So, I just spoke to them and apparently the only way to repay them is by filling out their form and giving them my salary statements. I asked if I could just pay off the full amount by credit card over the phone but the nice lady said that I had to send them the form, as if it was the most natural thing in the world to refuse money until I had given them information I didn’t want to give them and they take the time to process that information (my salary statements are in Norwegian so I guess they’ll have to get someone to interpret that for them) and send me another form so that I could start repayments. Naturally emailing this information is a big no no, it has to be hard copies.

It felt quite strange to be begging someone to take my money and them wanting nothing to do with it 🙂

andybanks
    Free Member

You borrowed the money and agreed to pay it back. Their terms were acceptable when you borrowed it – why aren’t they now?

ebygomm
    Free Member

For those my generation does anyone know if it expires at all like the newer ones or am I stuck with this shit for the rest of my life?

It’s written off at retirement (or if you die), but then they keep moving the retirement age….

orena45

unklehomered – Member

But what’s the salary level to start paying it back? 22-25k

I chuffing wish, 15 K,for me, and not going up with inflation , so dropping every year in real terms- I pay 9%. And I graduated in 2002. For those my generation does anyone know if it expires at all like the newer ones or am I stuck with this shit for the rest of my life? Cos I’m yet to earn enough to even reduce it, I’m just paying the interest. I used to work in consumer finance, if this was FSA regulated I’m pretty sure it would be illegal.

Similar situation for me – graduated in 2003, been paying back something every month pretty much since I left uni, and literally still owe as much as I left uni with. As far as I know, it stays until paid off or death – whichever comes first! 🙁

Edit – until retirement makes more sense

ebygomm
    Free Member

You borrowed the money and agreed to pay it back. Their terms were acceptable when you borrowed it – why aren’t they now?

I agreed to terms that said the interest rate would be linked to RPI or interest rates whichever was lower. When RPI went negative they wriggled out of it on a technicality.

And as a naive 18 year old in the first year of the new style loans I didn’t really comprehend the differences between pre-1998 and post-1998 loans and the repayment threshold wasn’t linked to average earnings in the same way.

burgatedicky

I’m pretty sure that the repayments they’re taking from me barely cover the cost of the interest going on.
    Did a fairly costly 5 year course, graduating last year.
    To be frank as it comes off my payslip every month I just write it off in the same bracket as “tax” and get on with it.
    Had some hilarious dealings with them at Uni however, so I can sympathise with the ignorant f-wits remarks!

I agreed to terms that said the interest rate would be linked to RPI or interest rates whichever was lower. When RPI went negative they wriggled out of it on a technicality.

THIS!!!

MSP

Do they just prefer threatening people to actually collecting the money they’re due?

Yep, In my experience SL and most council tax departments just take the default line that everyone is scum, and should be treated as so.

I remember when I was younger seeing some story about a farmer taking his muckspreader down to the town hall and spraying the place (I think it’s been done a few times). Back then I thought what a nutter, these days I fully understand the frustration that is caused when dealing with the faceless stupid bureaucracy that pervades government.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Similar situation for me – graduated in 2003, been paying back something every month pretty much since I left uni, and literally still owe as much as I left uni with. As far as I know, it stays until paid off or death -whichever comes first!

Genuinely intrigued by this. I graduated in 04, and have about two years left. I’m not a high roller, only earn a few k more than the median Uk wage. The current interest rate is 1.5% on the loan, so am surprised that you’ve not made much headway into the capital?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Friend of mine has recently started making inroads into his since he got into the mid twenties earning bracket, until then the contributions never added up to enough in a year… To me now Its just another tax and it really is best not to think about it.

But for the reasons above I had no problem with the new SLs brought in a couple of years ago, the repayment threashold rises with inflation or thereabouts, and they expire after about 25 yrs. If you have to have them, that seems the way to do it to me. And a much better system negotiated by current government than was brought in by labour (who also went against an election promise).

ebygomm
    Free Member

Interest rate on student loans in 2008 was 4.8% and before that was much higher than it was now.

This was the bullshit fed to us as teenagers

“There’s no ‘real’ interest cost because the most you’ll pay is the rate of inflation – the rate which prices are rising.”

Well, I’m still waiting for my 4.8% pay rise 5 years later!

andrewh
    Free Member

Similar situation for me – graduated in 2003, been paying back something every month pretty much since I left uni, and literally still owe as much as I left uni with. As far as I know, it stays until paid off or death -whichever comes first!

Genuinely intrigued by this. I graduated in 04, and have about two years left. I’m not a high roller, only earn a few k more than the median Uk wage. The current interest rate is 1.5% on the loan, so am surprised that you’ve not made much headway into the capital?

I graduated in 2003 with about £12,500 debt. Currently stands at £13,400. I have spent a couple of months of that time unemployed, I have mostly been earning. I earn nothing like the median wage.
    Currently paying back £8/month and being charged interest at £11/month. Could take a while to clear at that rate….

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yeah loads of hassel with them here – repayments (which i could just afford) bearly covered interest – worked out I would be in my 60’s before it was paid off at that rate.

Moved to oz – not on a salary but a day rate on a roster and had no end of hassel trying to arrange payment with them as they wouldn’t have it that I wasn’t earning that day rate 365 days of the year – as oppose to circa 200 days of the year.

Wouldn’t comunicate by email, had to phone them by sat phone at ridiculous times of the day as they wouldn’t comunicate via mmy folks back home.

Ended up tell them there lawyer could deal with me via my lawyer.

Seemed to shut them up.

Going to pay it off it full next year as I refused to let the govt. have anymore of my money.

SLC can go Foxtrot Unform Charlie Kilo themselves however as they are the single most unhelpful entity I have encountered.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i make extra payments as i can’t bear to see the amount owed going up after paying off all year.

I spent several years paying my overpayments to the wrong place after they gave me incorrect information, several times, regarding what bank account to pay it to and then what to use as a reference!

finally got it to a 4 figure amount owed on the last statement. feel like an achievement.

Northwind

They are famously and inspirationally terrible.

I’ll not bother with my own story, it’s totally bogstandard and predictable- every year they “lost” my forms then made up some reason not to accept them, in order to levy charges. Or my brother’s, when they refused to stop taking money after he became unemployed.

And of course, when you do as they ask but they screw up, that’s still your problem and they can only backdate refunds for 3 months because “That’s policy”.

So I’ll go direct to the bank one. When I was at HBOS, we were trying pretty hard to get their business. We’d agreed terms and signed contracts. And then it got down to the “Actually make it work” phase, which lasted an entire year of constant incompetence and lies.

Eventually, it was taken up to board level and SLC received a phone call “We would rather take the penalty clause than continue to work with you, because you are that ****”. Number of times this has happened in the history of the bank, with a customer of this size? Once.

Northwind

Oh but one last less ranty comment- if they ever owe you money, don’t wait for it to come back, it’ll take forever if it comes at all. Do a direct debit indemnity claim, you’ll get your money immediately and when you tell your bank who it is you’ll both have a good laugh. And assuming you don’t actually owe them money, cancel the DD as otherwise they’ll break the DD rules to take more money from you.

They may still break the DD rules to set up a new DD, but at least make them do it.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Only works if you pay by direct debit. I know several people who have had deductions made via PAYE despite completing payments on the loan.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Anyone know the implications for the SLC if they are unable to produce copies of the orginal signed documents?

thegreatape
    Free Member

F ME!

I just googled them. Turns out they aren’t a loans company run by students, they are actually a loans company for students.

bails

Or my brother’s, when they refused to stop taking money after he became unemployed

Doesn’t it come out of the payslip, like PAYE?(mine does) If so, how can you still pay it when you’re not getting paid?

Northwind

Nah, he’s old so it’s a “mortgage type” rather than the current pay-at-earning type.

But yep, should probably have made it clearer that the indemnity method only works for a DD not for deduction-at-earning.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Scary that there are at least 4 different loans now with different conditions and we’re trusting SLC to keep track of it all correctly!

HansRey

I moved abroad and sent them the appropriate form, which they acknowledged receiving. They sent the acknowledgement letter to an address i had lived at 5 years ago… in the UK! Along with all my payment info and whatever else.

They then start threatening to fine me because i haven’t started the payments. They couldn’t send the details to the right address, how could i know how and what to pay!!! Inept fools. It took over a month of arguing on the phone to get this sorted.

On the back of it, i should have been dishonest and not paid. More trouble than it’s worth.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Student Loan Co’ is closed to new replies.