Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 5:10 impact Low cheap? or alternatives..
  • toys19
    Free Member

My 5:10 impact low shoes are dead after 2 n half years of abuse including frequent trips through the washing machine..
    here
    So other than CRC at 79.99, is there anywhere cheaper?

Or is there an alternative shoe for dh/freeride/general messing that you would recommend?

acidchunks
    matther01
    Free Member

If you’re a size 10 then a guy is selling a new pair on here for £55…or Shimano AM41’s. I really rate mine.

toys19
    Free Member

7.5….

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

How about a pair of teva’s ?
    http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/item/Brand_TevaLinksMidMountainBikingShoe_2027_0_34652_1.html
    Ok they are the mid version not the low’s but at £49 they’re not to be sniffed at. Got a pair myself last week and although I haven’t been out on a trail with them yet in the car park test seemed to have as much grip as my old am40’s

thorlz
    Free Member

I have a pair of 7.5 for sale if you want, only used them about a dozen times.
    I found them too grippy, I like to be able to move my feet into position and also found them hard to dry out, as such I moved to AM41.
    They are in very good condition.
    £40 posted if you are interested. Mail me if you want and I can send photos
    bthorlz75@gmail.com

Northwind

Freerider is a better shoe than the Impact IMO… Though, maybe not so much now, they seem to have improved the construction of the impact since mine.

Think I’m going to stick with Sombrio now for as long as they remain cheap, tbh- grip is good enough that any difference between them and 5 10 isn’t relevant, and they’re a more quality item IMO. And cheaper 😉

Kwacker9
    Free Member

thorlz ygm.

honourablegeorge

+1 for the Teva above, been very pleased with mine

svalgis
    Free Member

While the Teva’s are really nice, they can’t really compare with the grip of 5.10’s so if you’re used to that (and like it) it might feel like a step down – it did for me.

I like the low Link enough in every other way to keep it and use it as a casual cold/wet weather shoe though.

wl
    Free Member

My impacts are coming apart after less than a year – third pair I’ve had in several years, but these ones are falling apart quicker. Might have to try CRC for warranty. Dubious build for an £80 shoe, but nothing matches them for grip.

honourablegeorge

svalgis – Member
    While the Teva’s are really nice, they can’t really compare with the grip of 5.10’s so if you’re used to that (and like it) it might feel like a step down – it did for me.

What pedals are you on? I’ve used mine on Vaults, Point Ones and Straitlines, and never wanted for grip in any way

svalgis
    Free Member

Nukeproof Proton. That and a Stealth sole is just the perfect amount of grip for me. Pedalling over rough stuff is where the biggest difference is – as long as the surface is smooth and/or I’m mainly freewheeling there’s not much in it.

I reckon I’ll try a pair of Freerider VXi’s this season.

Kwacker9
    Free Member

bought Impacts from thorlz above – this will be my first pair of 5.10’s to try with Superstar Nano’s, these pedals have destroyed everything else I’ve put on them…

rjhazell
    Free Member

+1 for Teva. I got the Pinner’s though. Really like them

Northwind

I’ve put in a load more miles on my Sombrios now- they’re better than I though, and still cheap, but I’d choose them over my 5 10s even at RRP.

Cheezpleez

Got a link to the Sombrio’s, Northwind?

jam-bo

my tevas are starting to fall apart after about 9 months daily use/wear.

might try some sombrios next as my LBS has them going cheep.

timmys

I switched to Teva Links and much prefer them. They are slightly less grippy but in combination with a grippy pedal (I use DMR Vaults), then the amount of grip is spot on (with the 5:10’s I actually felt the combo was too grippy; sometimes my foot positon would sometimes get stuck in the ‘wrong’ position and you coudn’t change it without literally lifting your foot off the pedal)…and of course they are way less orthopedic looking.

simonjj
    Free Member

I’ve just bought the Sombrio X Float from CRC as they have 50% off, not tried them yet but they are bright!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71080

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘5:10 impact Low cheap? or alternatives..’ is closed to new replies.