Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stuck SRAM powerlink – any ideas?
  • stevious

Hi all,

I'm installing a new chain on the roadbike, but the powerlink is proving somewhat resistant to engaging.

It's a 10sp chain and I'm aware SRAM's 10sp links are not re-usable but this one seems un-usable full stop.

Anyone got any cheeky hints/tips to get it to play ball?

Cheers,

Steve

DT78
    Free Member

Ignore me – thought you said 'dis-engaging!'

dano
    Free Member

ignore me too…

stevious

😀 Ignoring you both.

gusamc
    Free Member

dont know if this will work but on mototbike chains you could use a pair of pliers to push the circlip on (one jaw on end of circlip one on other end of link and compress to force circlip over the pins)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Could you devise some kind of fixed, toothed interface to "grab" the chain at one side of the Powerlock, and a similar set-up to "grab" into the chain at the other side, then, at one end, use some kind of rotating leverage arm, held in place, perhaps, by the frame of bicycle and allowed to turn freely by utilising a set of bearings, and attached with bolts to the toothed interface, to apply a relatively large force to the Powerlock, in order to snap it closed?

It would be easier with some kind of handle on the end of the arm to improve the ergonomics; you could even try incorporating a perpendicular rotating platform to the afformentioned arm and use your foot to operate it.

Just an idea…

ziggy
    Free Member

Surely just stand on the pedals and apply a bit of force no?

Works whenever I use them.

Edit: Oh right, what he said 🙄

markgraylish
    Free Member

Lol @ Three_Fish

Cougar

I'd be checking that it wasn't bent or misaligned. But, wouldn't be easier / better just to replace the Powerlink? If it's this hard to engage, are you going to be able to open it again?

zaskar
    Free Member

I just remember it was a pain in the butt (enter swearing) as one was fine and had to wrestle until the other side engaged.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stuck SRAM powerlink – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.