Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • stuck seatpost – getting it removed manchester area
  • piemann
    Free Member

The alloy seatpost is stuck in my steel framed commuter. Is there anywhere in the Manchester area that can remove it? It's not been stuck for that long, so probably just needs a bit of vice & torque action.

Anyone had owt similar done?

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I soaked mine in WD40 and removed BB and got some down seat post with frame upside down. It's amazing how far that stuff will penetrate. Twisting it can sometimes just make it tighter as the alloy picks up on the steel.

jond
    Free Member

I'd be inclined not to use WD40:
    penetrating oil (WD40 etc) works ok on steel vs steel, the rust is pretty weak and a bit more porous. Ally vs steel, the ally oxide expands into the gap and isn't permeable.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

looks like ammonia helps to dissolve the oxide (think there's a few other possibilities too) – lobbing wd40 down might stop that working.
    Tho' your lbs will probably use brute force, rather than chemistry.

FWIW, on one mate's bike (ally vs ally) it took about an hour of assorted violence, on another (ally in a steel frame) we wound up cutting along the length of the post – 3 slots eventually, with only one slight groove in the seattube butting. Took about 3 hrs 🙁
    That'll learn 'im not to ride in the sea 😮

skiprat
    Free Member

Don't use ammonia, it smells and doesn't work!! Got some from a chemist pal of mine. It was strong stuff and all it did was make the garden smell like a pi$$er!!

For an old road bike i had (alloy post in steel frame), long slots with a hack saw time!!!

Just find something good to watck on tv and get going.

Enjoy 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had this ally in ally it has been stuck for about 7 years now Ive almost given up on removing it. But I will sit down again one day with another hacksaw blade and try to remove it. I might try to remove chunks of metal rather than just long slots. BTW mine is pretty much all the way down and I have no purchase at the top because the clamp snapped off.

Remove the seatpost clamp as much as you can IE slide it off the frame it give the frame extra stretch also remove bottle boss bolts and the front mech every little helps.

Stoner
    Free Member

aluminium post in Ti frame.
    Took a while 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oooh I didnt think of a wooden block.

Whats the longest hack saw blade you can buy?

DM52
    Free Member

nip down the garage and ask the mechanic if you can borrow their vice. That is how mine got removed and upgraded to a thomson.

bluemooner
    Free Member

try pouring boiling/hot water on the frame,then ice cubes,or bag of peas around the post,, i.e. expanding the frame then contracting the post,,
    worked once for me.

nbt

I've a masssive vice, just haven;t got it connected to a workbench yet

piemann
    Free Member

cheers all. in a flash of inspiration i noticed the drain outside my house could be used to hold the seatpin while i turned the upside down bike around it. it worked like a charm. i don't think it was really really badly stuck though, so it might not be the best idea if your's has been stuck for years.

Pie. :mrgreen:

speaker2animals

I recommend the hot cold water route. Worked for me. Ally post in steel. I'd advise against WD40. It's not really an anti-seize. Go for Plusgaz. Take out BB, turn frame upside down, seal seatpost and lob in a load of Plusgaz and stand overnight. Have a go next day. Boiling water/cold water and repeat. If that don't work probably time to cut the post out.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The problem I have with mine is that there is only about 2mm out the top of the frame.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘stuck seatpost – getting it removed manchester area’ is closed to new replies.