Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stuck seatpost
  • Zaskar93
    Free Member

Probably been asked before but my Thomson seatpost is stuck in my Heckler frame. I am not a serial seatpost dropper so it’s probably been in the same position for months but it did have some copper grease on when it went in. So far I have tried heating it with a hair drier and it’s currently in my workstand, seatpost almost horizontal soaked in WD40 and I have gently prized the seat tube open by rotating a large flat blade screwdriver to introduce the WD40. If that doesn’t free it then tomorrow I guess it is BB out and introduce the WD40 from their with the bike inverted

Any other ideas most welcome.

bigthunder
    Free Member

I just had exactly the same problem. Tried all your ideas and nothing worked. It came down to putting the seatpost in a vice then whacking the frame with a copper hammer. The frame was protected with rags and I used a block of wood as well. Spent about 25mins at it. Felt crap coz I thought I was hurting my bike. I didnt though. Moral of the story is to loosen off the seatclamp and move the seatpost more often. Good luck.

portlyone

Penetrating oil? Or is that like snake oil??

When mine was a little jammed I found it easier to push the post in rather than trying to pull it out, thinking any movement is good movement.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

When I used to work in a bike shop the common cure was to take the wheels off, clamp the seatpost (with the bike upside down) in a bench vice TIGHT! and twist the frame around by pulling it from the head tube. Unfortunately it usually involved writing off the seatpost because of the ammount of pressure you have to use to clamp it. A thompson might be OK but I wouldn’t risk riding it after you get it out.

emanuel
    Free Member

maybe if you put an old saddle in the seatpost,then clamp that.
    or maybe clamp the top bit of the thomson,you can get a spare one.with some saddle rails/7mm tubes in the clamp to hold it solid.
    or a broom under the saddle.leverage.

Zaskar93
    Free Member

Cheers everyone for your tips. I’ll give almost anything a go. We did the same with my mates second hand Orange P7 a couple of years ago when the shim and seatpost were stuck in. That was a steel frame so half expected it. We tried various including the upside down in vice thing and completely butchered the post in the end. Keen to avoid that if possible. If it doesn’t budge then it’s currently where I want it so it could always stay I suppose. Finger crossed. Ta

Edric64
    Free Member

Argos just melted one out of an 853 inbred for me **** the paint so they put a binder bolt collar on ,its now at the powder coaters

jeff

Is this an old Heckler? I seem to remember some issues with the original ones and saw friend’s trip to Morzine ruined by a stuck post in his.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I soaked mine overnight in tesco value cola (midly acidic I think is the reasoning), then stuck a sacrifical saddle on it, stuck the saddle between two steps on my open staircase, and used the frame as a lever. After a fair amount of swearing and wiggling (and some fairly nasty creaking sounds) the seatpost came out. binned the post and saddle, frame unharmed.

Zaskar93
    Free Member

It’s a 2010 Heckler and the post was new when it went in but hasn’t been moved recently. Still hopefull of rescuing both but if it looks like going pear shaped I might just back off and leave everything where it is.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

had a similar problem although mine was an alu post in a steel frame…

dropped it off at the LBS back in April, cut a long story short its still there!

😯

PhilChap

Hot air gun has worked for me in the past a few times. More heat than a hair drier, careful you don’t bubble the paint though.

Zaskar93
    Free Member

GOT IT OUT!! 😀

Undamaged, apart from a couple of scuffs but perfectly useable too.

Been spraying WD40 down the inverted frame for days and then on Saturday I plugged it and filled it with diesel and left it to soak. Stuck it in the bench vice yesterday and got it turning in the frame and then popped an old saddle on and my wife gave me a hand to screw it out of the frame. Some of the black anodizing has come off the inserted part but that’s a not a problem. Cleaned it up, blathered it with Waxoyl, car body underseal to avoid any other kind of corrosion, and popped it back in.

I’ll be popping it in and out regularly from now on (ooer!) 😉

Didn’t get a ride in this weekend but just happy to get that sorted.

Thanks for all the various advice everyone.

bigthunder
    Free Member

I love it when a plan comes together.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Good stuff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stuck seatpost’ is closed to new replies.