• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stuck seat post shim- help
  • hora
    Free Member

In my haste and exuberance to build my bike up I stuck a shim in (to see if I could get away with a 27.2 seatpost). It looks like its a 26.8 shim though.. but anyway.

Its stuck solid. soaked in WD40 overnight. With large pliers clamped all the way round I found I could rotate the shim out slightly- but this then rounded the metal making another similar attempt possibly too difficult- following this theme-tonight I was going to buy a big adjustable monkey wrench. This should do it?

Its steel (or alu) on alu frame.

Ideas and tips?

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

If it is split all the way down, try to fold it in on itself. If not, you need something that will lock on (molegrips) so it can’t slip. A slide hammer might also work depending on the length of the shim

hora
    Free Member

Molegrips- thats the word I was looking not monkey wrench.

kayak23

If you could put a bit of tube slightly into the shim, THEN get some FO-molegrips onto it, that should grip it without crushing it.

wwaswas

Molegrips would do it. Lock them up *really* tight on the lip and it’ll let you twist/pull it out. I wouldn;t worry about compressing it – just put the grips on one edge.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Hacksaw blade down the full length of it from the inside?

Cut a split in line with the seatpost split so it’s then in two halves, should fall out then.

Just be careful not to cut through to your frame!

daveh
    Free Member

Think id be hacksawing down the length of the frame slot to aid folding it in on itself.

globalti
    Free Member

Drill into it through the stress-stopper hole at the bottom of the slot then lever it out using a hard steel lever such as a thin file end.

Obviously your lever will need to be able to fit in the slot as it rises.

Northwind

Yeah, moleys and pull. If you can get a squeeze onto the shim too that’d help but quite likely not neccesary

takisawa2

Fashion up a slide hammer from a long bolt, & it should come out.

Failing that, a hacksaw blade wrapped in a rag blade & chop along it’s length internally.

hora
    Free Member

Fashion up a slide hammer from a long bolt

Hang on- I’ve got a long threaded metal rod with bolts/plates on that I use for headset fitting. That’d do it/help with the molegrips? (minus the plates)

binno
    Free Member

This stuff (also comes in a stray) is great at shifting stuck posts:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/171296124295?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0
    totally immerse the area you need coverage in it and be patient, 24hrs or more. Then go to town on heaving it out.

Given the shallow length though, i’d other wise cut it along the length (as mentioned above) with a fresh quality long hacksaw blade via a chop saw or bodged together alternative.

hora
    Free Member

Phil at Evans cycles Chill Factor saved the day. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stuck seat post shim- help’ is closed to new replies.