Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Stuck Pro2 end cap
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

The end cap on one side of the axle on my rear Pro2 Evo hub is stuck fast. My first port of call was to drift the axle out from the other side, clamp the axle in the vice, and see if I can knock the cap off.

Any other advice, or is there something really simple that’d help? I guess Hope could supply another axle, as I’m going to use a 10mm bolt through, so need to change the caps.

Cheers

Ricks

shindiggy
    Free Member

definitely removed the Cassette lock ring? Never had any of mine stuck before.

neninja
    Free Member

If they’ve not been removed for ages and perhaps weren’t greased they can be devilishly hard to remove.

Clamping them in a vice and wiggling the wheel upwards has always worked for me.

glen815
    Free Member

Clamp the end cap in a vice and twist and pull. They are only held in by an o ring.

gee
    Free Member

Clamp end cap in vice, put arms under each side of wheel, whack wheel upwards with forearms.

GB

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve been at it with the vice for about 10 minutes, decided I’d knacker the bearings if I tried any harder for longer.

I’ll give it a go again a bit later – but with more vim and vigor 😉

shindiggy
    Free Member

soak it over night in oil/light lubricant?

Heat it up?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

As per Gee above but watch your face VOE !!

coatesy
    Free Member

Dribble a bit of GT85 in there too, helps if the O-ring is lubed.

bruneep

pour boiling water over it

rickon
    Free Member

Are we still talking about my end cap?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Grip across the end cap with a pair of mole grips then carefully lever it off with 2 screwdrivers against the hub body and under the jaws of the molegrips. That’s how I shifted mine when it wouldn’t budge in the vice.

rickon
    Free Member

How many hands have you got Dave? 😉 I’ll give that a try too

davewalsh
    Free Member

Two, one for each screwdriver 🙂
    Grip the hub in a vice, the mole grips support themselves !

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Stuck Pro2 end cap’ is closed to new replies.