Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Stuck in hospital 140 miles from home
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Came to Devon on holiday last Saturday. By Sunday evening I’d caught a bug and was feeling unwell, aching joints feverish. Self medicated.

Started to feel better, but Wednesday morning noticed a bite on my very swollen foot when I woke up. Went to emergency GP who prescribed penicillin. Wednesday early evening, the infection was tracking up my leg so went to a&e, where they admitted me within 30 mins of triage. Liquid IV antibiotics.

A day or so later they think it’s in the blood and change the Antibiotics. So after 4 nights I’m stable, but no real improvement. Less mobile than I was when I came in as the pain spread to other muscles including wrist and shoulder and knee.

Feel fine when I’m laying down but going to number twos takes planning and preparation. I’m an independent person but need help to do virtually everything Fed up now. In the back of my mind I imagined the antibiotics would start showing an improvement after about 48hrs. Feels likes I may be here well into next week.

I was on hols with my wife and parents. They’ve all been fantastic and are staying in a local caravan park. Had to get Green Flag to take my car home after my wife and parents packed it all up after sleeping in it for just 2 nights. We were meant to leave yesterday.

It’s humbling, there was a biker opposite me who was in an RTA with a mashed up led and my route to recovery is insignificant compared to his.

Every single member of staff has been fab.

martinhutch

Ouch. I guess if it’s stable and not spreading, the antibiotics probably are kicking in. Heal fast.

I’m sure you’ll get plenty of offers from on here if you and your family need bits and pieces of support while you’re stuck in there.

Harry_the_Spider

Ooof.

Been there, done that. The wife spent a week in Barnstable after a fracture dislocation of her ankle that needed surgery and I ended up in Truro after my son kicked me in the balls so hard that I passed out!

Chin up fella. If you have access to an ebook may I suggest that you download “Chickhawk” if you like helicopters. It is about helicopters.

scaredypants

Yeah, infection’s a bugger – and the immune system’s reaction to a good one makes you feel grim too (bugs may well be “all” dead already, depending on what was there and where they got to)

Get well soon – a platitude and a prediction all in one !

jon1973
    Free Member

Thanks all. One godsend is free wifi, so I have my tablet, with Netflix and Prime to stop me going insane, and of course a phone and a family Whatsapp group which is keeping me amused. I have good family and friends.

If I had to rely on the entertainment console they provide it would have been a lot worse.

scaredypants

If I had to rely on the entertainment console they provide it would have been a lot worse.

Hospital radio – get it on. How else can you know you’re truly suffering?

BigJohn

Do you have travel insurance? I have a permanent policy through my Nationwide Bank account. It covers being away from home in the UK.

jon1973
    Free Member

Hospital radio – get it on. How else can you know you’re truly suffering?

Now that made me laugh.

No insurance unfortunately, just usually get a single use policy when we go on out main holidays abroad. I will be looking into doing that from now on though.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Good luck with getting better. Blood infections are not good, but if your feeling bored your not dying which is always good

The biker with the mashed up leg wasn’t a Scottish fella called John was he? A mate of mine is in a hospital down that way.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I have a permanent policy through my Nationwide Bank account. It covers being away from home in the UK.

I’ve got one similar which also includes worldwide & UK cover (inc MTBing in the Alps) European breakdown cover & even gadget cover. Just as well as we had to cancel 2 self catering UK holidays this year. I’d never claimed before & got refunded ok, minus the excess of course.

Get well soon!

Jamie
    Free Member

Is everything related to whatever bit you on Sunday?

spawnofyorkshire

Healing vibes fella.

Also check out the documentaries on red bull TV, there’s some good ones on there to while away the time

jon1973
    Free Member

The biker with the mashed up leg wasn’t a Scottish fella called John was he? A mate of mine is in a hospital down that way.

John James?

Thanks for all the reassuring words and healing vibes from everyone.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sounds like a nice holiday..

Did you save up for it ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

This is why us MTBers need to set up a charity aimed at outdoors types that donates towards antibiotic research – there’s **** all profit to be had in it so new antibiotics are coming out at snails pace.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Exeter? If so is there anything you need?

jamj1974

Sorry to hear that Jon. You might want to download ToView. It’s a live TV app.

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m in Torbay Hospital. Fortunately I have everything I need as my wife and parents are staying nearby in Paighton. Thanks for the offer.

Was actually a cheap holiday..£85 for 7 days, pitch + electricity

jon1973
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at ToView. Thanks.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The joke was related to the expense of the hospital stay 😀

Anyway, sounds bloody painful.. hardly rest and relaxation but try to enjoy just lying around for a while at least.

jon1973
    Free Member

Haha . Slow on the uptake today. It would have been a cheap holiday.

jamj1974

Hi Jon, hopefully you should get an email shortly. You might want to check junk or clutter folders.

Jay

jon1973
    Free Member

Hi jay,

That old domain / email in my profile no longer exists. Can’t seen to change it as it cannot validate I guess.

Alternative email is

Jonchapman1973 AT gmail DOT com

Thanks

Jon

jamj1974

Hopefully that has now come through!

soundninjauk

Chin up fella. If you have access to an ebook may I suggest that you download “Chickhawk” if you like helicopters. It is about helicopters.

‘Chickenhawk’ I think, but it is indeed a great book. If you want to stick with the same period of history but read about planes instead, I can strongly recommend ‘War For The Hell of It’.

Harry_the_Spider

Chickenhawk. Bloody typo!

“The Martian” is a proper page-turner too with way more in it than was covered in the movie. That’ll burn through some time for you.

moose
    Free Member

“Chickenhawk” is a good book, also try “Low Level Hell”

Andy

Get well soon Jon, sorry to hear this. Take consolation that whatever bit you is probably a lot worse off 😉

jamj1974

The Martian is a great page turner indeed. Well worth a read.

cheers_drive

Sound like you got the best deal if they are staying in Paignton 😉
    Get well soon

jamj1974

How are you doing Jon?

eskay

Sounds like you were lucky and they caught the infection early. I had sepsis four years ago and it nearly finished me off. Two GPs told me there was nothing wrong with me, I ended up collapsing and spending some time in intensive care (and 6 weeks off of work).

Hope you are recovering well.

mildbore

You have my sympathy, fella. I had 2 spells in hospital in June due to infection, thankfully all sorted now but alarming at the time. Glad you’re into the “lucky it didn’t turn out worse” phase, but counting your bless ings only takes a moment then it’s just boring/can’t wait to get home/when will they let me out. Any progress yet? I found it was just waiting until all of a sudden you can go. This didn’t help much because you know it could happen at any moment, it would almost have been easier to resign yourself to a fixed period. Anyway, give us a progress report?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Stuck in hospital 140 miles from home’ is closed to new replies.