Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Stuck axle?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I have a HOPE Pro II front hub and Marzocchi forks with 20mm bolt through.

Before, to remove the front wheel, I’ve undone one of the side bolts and, with a little wiggle of the wheel, the axle slid out of the other side.

However, now, the axle rotates but won’t slide out. The front wheel spins freely. I have undone the pinch bolts.

I’ve tried half undoing one of the bolts and smacking it several times with a mallet (hard). The axle moved about 1mm.I tried spraying WD40 on it and then malleting it again but no joy.

I don’t want to damage the bearings or axle. I live in Thailand and can’t get spares until the end of March.

Thanks a lot

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The inner race of one of the hub bearings will have corroded onto the axle. You just need to carry on malleting (try and arrange the bike so that the opposite fork dropout to the side you’re clouting is on something solid – the malletinmg will have more effect that way.

You’ll probably find once the axle has moved about 8mm (width of the bearing) it’ll suddenly pop free.

Ive had this happen with maxles a few times when I’ve not had the wheel out the bike for a while, but it’s been washed. A bit of copaslip or grease cures it until it all gets wiped off again.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks Jon.

Not sure how I can hit it 8mm as with enough thread in for me to be confident in banging it, I don’t think I can get 8mm of movement.

Is the bearing going to be knackered? Like I said, no spares until the end of March so if the safe option is leave it in and hope I don’t get an unmendable puncture, I’ll do that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Stuck axle?’ is closed to new replies.