Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Stu McGroos lets put this Alfine weight issue to bed once and for all thread!
  • Mugboo

Bloody good read that.

All that techy stuff has made feel a little fick though!

pypdjl
    Free Member

Unconvinced based on what?

I’m not convinced you have scales that are accurate to 0.01 lbs.

Saccades
    Free Member

I have access to E2 (or is it E1, I forget) pharmaceutical dispensing scales and I weighed my alfine bike and got 14.485Kg (or an ounce under 32lb). The scales are set up so there are no corner loading errors and big enough I could just lay the bike down. You would be hard pushed to get a more accurate reading…

Which is why I’m stunned the bike in the OP weighs in at 29.5lb when it looks quite a mincer compared to mine.

scaffolding pole 456EBB (which is chromed and then powdercoated on top for extra lightness), the only light thing are the Forks I guess.

hoojum
    Free Member

Great post Stu. I’ve been thinking if going 1-9 having gone from an Alfine to single speed. Havng read this I might just dig the Alfine out of the loft and give it another go.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Alfine was designed for a shopping bike not to win World Cup MTB races and costs accordingly.

Er, I won a race once with my Alfine. It was the 2008 Guernsey Autumn XC (Veterans class). The only race I’ve ever done with a figure of eight course. All very gentlemanly at the crossover.
    Also 7th Male Pair in the 2008 Dusk til Dawn on the Alfine.

Saccades
    Free Member

My best result ever in a NPS was on my alfine bike…

timber

Any other ways of running one on a full sus without an ade ward style tensioning monstrosity? Would a regular SS tensioner do or would it need more movement?
    Bike I have in mind is the previous gen. Heckler.

Would welcome the weight shift, riding weight all the way back, but still nose landing everything big time.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Any spring loaded tensioner should do. When built it’d probably be worth unbolting or depressurising the shock to check the tensioner through the full range of suss travel.

still nose landing everything big time

Try upping the rebound damping at the rear.

adeward
    Free Member

i tried a std single wheel tensioner on my marin and whyte but it wouldnt pull enough chain so i went for the other option i had an old sunn dh chain device,, it has been on my fs ss bikes for over 10 years now first used at cheddar 99 i think so may not look nice but it does the job

s-keeper
    Dibbs
    Free Member

spokes and stainless nipples,

Stainless nipples?? Really??

rOcKeTdOg

Which is why I’m stunned the bike in the OP weighs in at 29.5lb when it looks quite a mincer compared to mine.

his has rigid forks though and even if they are a bit portly they’ll be lighter than your suspension forks

monkeyboyjc

Soooo I just upgraded to an Alfine 11 – i did a similar thing to the op – takeing weights before and after and here are the results:-
    Before – 1×9 set up, with xt / xtr parts

After – with Alfine (no rear rotor)

Obviously there are some diferances (no front mech etc), the Alfine 11 system is also slightly heavier than the 8 (by about 70g) – Shimanos Alfine 11 guide weight of 1600g is for just the hub (no fitting kit, sprocket or shifter).

ahwiles
    Free Member

the alfine8 weighs 1690grams

the alfine11 weighs 1690grams.

which i thought was odd, so i weighed ’em a few times to make sure.

(no fitting kit or etc.)

monkeyboyjc

interesting, the lists are Alfine 8 1500g and alfine 11 1600g.
    My Alfine 11 weighs 1674g (on the kitchen scales), not the best pic though:

The 11 was ment to be smaller too (iirc).

There is a good comparison of the Alfine 11 weight vs a Rohloff here: linky

DaddyPig
    Free Member

How does the 11 compare to the 8 speed performance wise?

thepodge
    Free Member

Adam, you got an Alfine? what you running it on? I’m considering one for the trance

monkeyboyjc

How does the 11 compare to the 8 speed performance wise?

Havent a clue at the mo – only built it up last night – however…

My commuter has an Alfine 8 on it so i’ll be able to compare them pretty well. will lat teh forumn know later on if i get a chance (it’ll only be a road test though as i need to shorten the hoses and put the rear rotor on).

monkeyboyjc

been out on it (just on the roads) for an hour or so, and its great – just what i wanted .

In comparision to running 1×9 with a 11-32t cassette, and by feel, it seems to have the it has the low rage of some where around mid 22t and the high rage of the mid rage 44t ring.

There is noticable pause between 5th and 6th, just like the pause from 3rd to 4th on the 8 speed Alfine – This is due to the switching from ‘underdrive’ to direct drive.

Gear changes are incredibly smooth in comparison to the 8 speed – no crunching or noise, and are almost unnoticable (other than at the pedals).

DaddyPig
    Free Member

Sounds spot on. Less drag than the 8?

monkeyboyjc

TBH i never really felt any drag on the 8, i suppose as its on a road/hybrid (cannondale badboy) with slicks it feels quicker than my MTB any way, but the Alfine 11 is definatly a hell of a lot smoother.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Podge! i can’t comment on the behaviour of the alfine yet, i’ve got to buy a fitting kit before i can … er… fit it.

(wheel’s built, i’m almost ready to go)

you’ll be more than welcome to have a go with it when it’s ready though – unless you’re averse to fully rigid inbreds?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

The lovely people at http://www.justridingalong.com have 11sp Alfine hubs in stock and will build one into a wheel for you for little more than the retail price of a hub…

thepodge
    Free Member

Adam, I’m currently building a fully rigid my self so that’s fine, I’ll just have to cover up the stickers on yours before trying it out.

thanks for the offer.

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Stu McGroos lets put this Alfine weight issue to bed once and for all thread!’ is closed to new replies.