Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Stu McGroos lets put this Alfine weight issue to bed once and for all thread!
  • mintimperial

Smashing post! More of this sort of thing I say.

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Lovin the post McGroo…… but really, gears? HTF did you pursuade xckeith to get involved….?

SpaceCowboy
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it look better in purple?

s-keeper

First of all, I’ll repeat what many people have already said to the OP, what a great post!

My solution to the weight distribution ‘issue’ was simply to move from a saddle bag to one of these. In my case thats around 1.5 pounds of weight brought forward.

I’d be a bit worried using 5mm chainring spacers to get the correct chainline. To get around a 42mm chainline you can use this and its a solid piece too – 4mm thick. If you flip the sprocket around to get a 47mm chainline, I’ve been eying up this with amusement, and in future the granny on any of the new double chainsets should be great too.

My mmmBop with u-turn revs comes in at at about 29lb, or 26lb with singlespeed wheelset (however this also has much lighter 2.1″ wtb nano tyres). For vertical dropouts, the only tensioners I found that work ok with a 42mm chainline are the YESS ETR-D and the Shimano one. With 47mm chainline, the One-one Doofer is ok (but I massively prefer the ETR-D anyway).

Northwind

Have to admit I’m kind of at a loss as to how it weighs so much? You sure your scales aren’t on the piss? Unless it’s got a load of weight stashed in the finishing kit or tyres or something…

Oh, and sorry but
    “Fitted 32T chainring and 20T rear sprocket, this gives me the same range as a middle ring x 1-9 + granny ring x 2 on my previous SLX set-up.”
    I have no idea what this means :mrgreen: Probably just me being dense but could you clarify it a bit?

clubber
    Free Member

Have to admit I’m kind of at a loss as to how it weighs so much

Largely because most people’s claimed weights are bs so when an accurate weight is quoted…

My Swift @ 28.5lbs real weight with decent non-silly heavy kit on.

problem0
    Free Member

I am astounded by the content of this post – suffice to say fools seldom differ.

Northwind

clubber wrote,

“Largely because most people’s claimed weights are bs so when an accurate weight is quoted…”

I’m comparing it with my own verified weight of my Soul when it’s in rigid form though, not with random claimed weights which as you say are pretty much always lies. 30lbs for a rigid mtb is pretty heavy even with a scaffold pipe frame, that’s more than my Hemlock 😕

bruneep

I have no idea what it weighs, but I like the Alfine hub. Still have the 11spd on back order………any day soon Mr Shimano?

clubber
    Free Member

Wasn’t specifically pointing the finger at you Northwind 😉

nicko74

ChrisS – Member

Another myth/rumour to attempt to dispel is the one about all the mass being concentrated at the end of the bike affects handling etc…

Except IMHO it does. I have an alfine equipped cannondale badboy that I commute on every day and the concentration of weight at the rear hub is definitely noticeable when bunny hopping up kerbs or over speed bumps.

Don’t get me wrong it’s still a fab choice for commuting though, especially in this sort of weather.

Exactly my experience with a Rohloff’d hardtail. The Rohloff is heavier than an Alfine, and it didn’t feel quite as lively or eager to get air as a ‘standard’ geared hardtail. So I switched back to external gears.

adeward
    Free Member

here is my alfine bike it also has a qr wheel setup

adeward
    Free Member

picture of alfine qr wheel setup

Shinythings
    Free Member

Quite funny how this whole Alfine issue has evolved on here. It would seem that the net result is; that they are quite good really.
    Had mine for a couple of years now and it hasn’t exploded yet.

Like Mr Del I switched from a light (explosif) build to a meatier P7 build and we both find it a very stable ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF is going on with that chain?

BadlyWiredDog

So… the end result of this, predictably, is that on paper there’s not much difference, but you can still feel it when you ride the bike? Here’s a thought, swapping an Air Pike for a Dual Air Revelation on my RC405 which lost, I don’t know, maybe 0.75lb and increased the crown-axle measurement by maybe 10mm made a huge difference to the way the bike felt in certain situations – it climbed like a drunken donkey, steered lazily and basically felt like a different bike, to the point where I put another Pike on up front. Bikes are quite delicately balanced things and I have no trouble at all believing that sticking most of the weight of the drive mechanism in the middle of the rear hub makes a significant difference to ride feel, because it doesn’t take much.

I’ve ridden three Rohloff/Alfine-equipped bikes and in all three cases, you absolutely knew, from the way the bike handled, that it had a big chunk of weight in the rear hub. And surely what matters is the way the bike feels to the rider and how it rides?

packer
    Free Member

Great post!

Regarding the weight balance, I think a better way to measure it would be to put the bike on two sets of scales, one under each wheel, and look at the ratio between the two weights.

adeward
    Free Member

this is how I tension the chain ,, it runs as either a singlespeed or alfine i have run this setup on a Marin mount vision SS since 1999
    and never had any problems

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I love my Alfine. I think with more shimano development it could really turn into a viable gear system for all mtbs. I certainly hope so. Thankyou for the write up stu.

ampthill

Brilliant initial post, really well done. I particularly liked the CG location.

In terms of how it feels I think we could also consider moments of inertia. We are moving alot of mass away from the centre of gravity. This will make it harder to get the bike to rotate in the air.

I’m sure this would irrelevant to me and most. But maybe its what some people can feel when they talk about the change in balance

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

not only has this thread been polluted with so called “facts”, theres also some seriously ugly bikes on here too.

Was actually quite a useful post, cheers for that. I can believe the weights too. Sticking a suspension fork like a reba on that bike would only add 600grams so the bike would weigh 31 lb which is about right for a geared steel hardtail 29er slx etc

69er
    Free Member

How refreshing to have an interesting post about bikes!

Good job OP, nice looking steed. Not for me though, I’m going fixed. And probably beardy.

jimmers
    Free Member

Excellent post. I’ve been Alfine-curious for a while. The link below is a review on the roadcc site. I read this post with interest and especially that the 11 speed is 90g lighter than the 8 speed. Hoorah I thought until I read…

linky

The claimed weight of the 11 speed is 90g less than the 8 speed though in this review it is 68g heavier than the 8 speed. Is that a poke in the eye for folks waiting for the 11 speed version?

And yes I am an anal retentive weight weenie which is why when I ride with gears it’s using a 1×9 setup.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nice post, I’ve also been considering an Alfine as I bloody hate “normal” gears. How do they hold up to xc, downhill and jumping abuse though seeing as they were designed for commuters?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think they were designed for off road (you may be thinking of Nexus) and reports have been positive.

adeward
    Free Member

i hthat have been told a company who runs a hire fleet of alfine mountain bikes have never had a faliure

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Nice read Stu. I sort of like my Alfine but I’ve got a singlespeed wheel in it’s place most of the time.

One of the best threads ever on STW.
    I thought about doing something similar when I first went to Rohloff. The difference is, you did it. 8)

pypdjl
    Free Member

i hthat have been told a company who runs a hire fleet of alfine mountain bikes have never had a faliure

Mine has got incurable bearing play in it after a years riding in the peak.

epicyclo

If it’s incurable and you’re tossing it out, I’ll have it 🙂

I’m pretty sure it’s curable, just the average lbs has no idea where to start on hub gears.

But rather than take advantage of you – Hubstripping site shows how it’s done. A couple of special tools needed.

GW
    Free Member

WTF does that frame weigh?

My dirtjump bike with old saint, 721s, 2.35 minions 2×8/bash and Pikes is less than a lb heavier than your rigid XC bike? 😯

pypdjl
    Free Member

If it’s incurable and you’re tossing it out, I’ll have it

Heh, nice try! It’s still in use, just on the commuter bike now.

mboy
    Free Member

Nice one Stu… Good facts to put paid to all the silly myths about Alfines!

Absolutely staggered your build weighs almost 30lb though… Must mean that mine, with Reba’s and beefier tyres is probably more like 31-32lb!!! Hmmm… Still rides like it’s a lot lighter though…

When we doing an Alfined 29er ride then mate?

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

There seems to be a break in the posts so I’ll attempt to respond.

First of all I did this out of my own curiosity, I expected the usual piss taking but was surprised by the compliments so thanks for that.

A few of you have commented on the weight of the bike. It’s a large frame and it’s cheap and that’s the actual weight not some manufacturer or media bullshit. I did weigh the finished article on a second set of scales at 20 odd grams lighter but 19g of that is excess cable that I removed so they’re pretty close.

However this is a before and after comparison experiment so the weight of the bike is irrelevant, if it had weighed 19.63lbs before it’d now weigh 19.64lbs.

Also, there have been some references to Rohloff, obviously this little experiment only relates to Alfine. I have no experience of Rohloff so shouldn’t comment but from the opinions of others it would seem heavier and suffer more with drag. Personally speaking the cost of Rohloff makes it a non-starter.

As for the weight shift, which I must stress is the balance point of the bike not the centre of gravity, I’ve added some amendments at the end of this post. I’m sure better riders than me will feel the difference, so far I haven’t noticed it that much but riding conditions are all over the place at the moment. Also the heaviest component on my bike is me, at 97kg and I’m moving all over the place so counter balancing a 33mm* shift isn’t proving too difficult

* see amendment

woody2000 – Aaah, bless you Stu McGroo. I’d love to have that much free time

I know, great isn’t it, you can have everything in the world but without time you have nothing!

cynic-al – You’ve cheated in saving weight by using 185mm spokes, they should be 260-something?

Sorry al, typo error, but edited in time so no one knows what you’re on about

alexpalacefan – Nice post Stu, you should be writing this sort of stuff for publication, not free on a forum.

No can do, I’d get the sack for using facts and refusing to tow the corporate (bullshit) line and capitulating to the demands of advertisers!

pypdjl – I’m unconvinced by those weights! You’ll also need to carry a 15mm spanner, so that’s another 200 grams or so…

Unconvinced based on what? What did your experiment turn up then? Feel free to be unconvinced but please back it up! As for the spanner, here it is with the open end ground off.

Fits nicely in my tool kit along with full set of allen keys, Gerber suspension multi-tool, chain splitter, spare links, puncture repair kit, spare tube, zip ties, velcro straps, rag, tyre levers and pump. Then there’s a bag of jelly babies, 3 or 4 mars bars and 2 litres of water in the camel back, all of which is carried by me at 6’4” and 97kg. The spanner weighs 63g so I don’t think it’ll make much difference!

BenjiM – I may have missed something but You’re comparing weights with triple rings up front to a single ring up front, regardless of ratios this would still contribute a considerable weight difference no?

Not considerable but it all adds up, took 3 rings off (24/32/42) and added a 32 single speed ring that is a bit thicker.

rOcKeTdOg – I thought you’d given up riding stu, how much for the 10 speed stuff?

Why? you’ll be getting an Alfine 😉

chalkstorm – Lovin the post McGroo…… but really, gears? HTF did you pursuade xckeith to get involved….?

He has no morals, it’s all a sham 😯

Space Cowboy – Wouldn’t it look better in purple?

No, it’d look gay, obviously 😉

s-keeper -I’d be a bit worried using 5mm chainring spacers to get the correct chainline.

I’m not, been ok so far, but I’ll keep you posted.

Northwind – Oh, and sorry but
    “Fitted 32T chainring and 20T rear sprocket, this gives me the same range as a middle ring x 1-9 + granny ring x 2 on my previous SLX set-up.”
    I have no idea what this means Probably just me being dense but could you clarify it a bit?

Ok I’ll have another go, 32:20 on my Alfine gives me the same range as 32:13 down to 24:30 (10 gears in all) on my SLX. 32:18 with be equivalent to 32:11 down to 32:34. That’s the best I can do, if you still don’t get it then yes, you’re probably right.

ade ward

you need help 😯

BadlyWiredDog – So… the end result of this, predictably, is that on paper there’s not much difference

From what I’ve been reading over the last 12 months on STW I thought the result was anything but predictable! And from the responses I’ve seen here I think there’s a fair few who are surprised.

Sorry if I’ve missed anyone out.

Now the extra weight shift stuff. My measurement of rearward weight shift along the top tube didn’t take account of the top tube being 17.7 degrees to the horizontal. If you’re sad you do this

and then you can see that the actual rearward weight shift in the horizontal plane is only 31.4mm.

Furthermore, with the SLX set-up my rear wheel was on the stops at the front of the dropout. If I’d adjusted it to the center of the dropout (like it is now) then the difference in the before and after weight shift measurements would be less still.

emac65
    Free Member

P’haps if you spent half as much time riding you’d be really fit & quick,then wouldn’t have to worry about silly little weight shifts ‘n stuff 8)

I agree about Keef though,morals of an alley cat that “keef” …… 😈

Keef
    Free Member

oh JJ you’re soooo sweet !

bruneep

The claimed weight of the 11 speed is 90g less than the 8 speed though in this review it is 68g heavier than the 8 speed. Is that a poke in the eye for folks waiting for the 11 speed version?

Nope

edoverheels
    Free Member

What a depressing thread. I was going to build an alfine bike but because of the delays with the 11 speed I have gone 1X10 instead. All those photos of lovely simple looking bikes and positive comments have made me question whether I have done the right thing. As stated, very depressing.

chalkstorm
    Free Member

lol@JJ and xckeith1 – what a pair of keefs….

s-keeper

I wonder how many people with Alfines run carbon folks compared to say, Toras. That’s basically a 3lb difference right there at the front of the bike. If you were hugely worried about the rearward balance, just fit a meaty fork…

As well as the Rev U-turn (4lb) on the bike I actually have a brand new Lyrik coil u-turn (5.5lb) I brought over from the states, was going to sell it on cause just cutting the steerer would massively reduce the re-sale value. BUT THANKS TO THIS THREAD (groan), even though my riding doesn’t warrant a Lyrik, I might just feel the need to compare….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Stu McGroos lets put this Alfine weight issue to bed once and for all thread!’ is closed to new replies.