Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • struggling to source a 24inch front disc wheel
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m after a 24″ disc wheel to convert my daughter’s bike from Vs to disc but I’m struggling to find a suitable wheel. You can pick up cheap and nasty ones, and burly jump bike ones but not much in between, it seems.

Any ideas? Best I’ve found so far is a Halo T2 24 for £90.

I just need:
    QR 6-bolt hub
    mid-level alu rim

Stans do a 24 Crest rim but built onto a XT hub I’m looking at £120ish, which is too much.

AdeC
    Free Member

I’ve looked into the same for my daughter’s Islabike. I concluded the only viable option is buy a 6-bolt disc hub and get that built using the existing rim.

My second conclusion was v-brakes are good enough.

cheers

jonathan
    Free Member

I built them myself – found some 24″ Spank rims off ebay (heavyish, but not silly, and they’re red anodised!) and built up with SLX hubs. I suspect the Crest rim is pretty much the only “not heavy” option though – wasn’t available when I built mine.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yeah I had a quick look at Spank but didn’t find anything obvious.

anyone know an online retailer that might be worth checking? I’ve tried all the usual suspects (CRC, Merlin, SJS, et al)

Stevet1
    Free Member

One point of note if you’re building your own is most of the 24″ BMX type rims are 36H so make sure you get corresponding hubs.

martinhutch

I’m building an XT hub into the existing 24″ rim tomorrow…

Most surprising thing was just how light the existing rim was once I’d unlaced it. Kitchen scales had it at roughly 400g – I can only think of the 24″ Crest which is significantly lighter than that, and that’s £60 just for the rim.

DT spokes means the rebuild is costing me about £35.

DezB
    Free Member

Doubt they’re the greatest quality, but
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/77104/Raleigh_24Inch_Disc_Front_Wheel

Agree with conclusion was v-brakes are good enough.

martinhutch

My second conclusion was v-brakes are good enough.

I’d agree with this too. My only reason for doing it was to put a much lighter fork on it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you’ll be saying road bikes don’t need discs next… 😉

I’m taking her out to the Alps this summer so fancy something decent for braking. Plus I like the idea of better brakes, in itself.

jonathan
    Free Member

When they stop complaining of hand ache after downhills you realise it’s worth it 🙂

martinhutch

When they stop complaining of hand ache after downhills you realise it’s worth it

Yes, her new rigid forks will get rid of that issue…

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ve got some spare halo combats for sale..

Only 2kg …(for the front only…)

poah
    Free Member

superstar do 24 inch builds. I got some alex ace rims and got them built up onto switch evo hubs using DB spokes. cost me £150 in total incl build.

Light weight 24 inch wheels for kids bikes

reggiegasket
    Free Member

oooh….

reggiegasket
    Free Member

superstar build using the 24″ DHX rim is £85, on a switch hub.

Just noticed this rim:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Airnimal-24-507-Alloy-Bicycle-Rim-32-or-36h-/221361131206

but it’s a tad narrow. Like a roadie rim.

poah
    Free Member

those rims are stupidly thin and heavy

reggiegasket
    Free Member

indeed…

the search continues.

eulach

Try Tartybikes who sell trials stuff.

dai21t
    Free Member

I bought the superstar wheels on offer for my sons bike, paid £99 for the pair delivered. Did it mainly to convert to 10speed for him.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely the LBS? Get a standard cheap hub and have them build something up?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘struggling to source a 24inch front disc wheel’ is closed to new replies.