• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hope.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Struggling to choose a new tyre!
  • hope
    Free Member

I am currently running the standard SpeedKing 2.1 on my bike and wanted to go for a substantial upgrade.

I was going to go for rubber queen 2.2 wire bead but they are way too heavy and the folders are too expensive.

I have also seen that the Nobby Nic Evo folding is quite a good price and quite a bit lighter than the continentals. There doesn’t seem to be any comparisons of these two though, and I have never had Schwalbe tyres.

I am quite a tyre noob, but it will be mainly used in the dry on off road steep climbs and rocky downhills, sometimes in mud and silt type surfaces, rarely on tarmac (but don’t want something that wears down to a slick after one mile on the road). So overall I need an all-round tyre.

I wondered if there was any advice from members here?

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I’m loving my ingitor front and vertical rear combo…good all rounder combo IMO. Rear becomes vague on wet trail centre stone pack path however. Other than that, fine.

soundninjauk

I recently got a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 single ply super tacky for the front, and I am in love with it. Rode Cwmcarn last weekend and my front wheel just felt planted and stable in just the right way.

neil853
    Free Member

Maxxis ADvantage 2.25 folding, light, excellent grip, low rolling resistance and (relitively) cheap. Maybe a Maxxis Larsen TT on the back for the summer

ndg
    Free Member

I ran nobby nics after having speed kings for a year, massively better (in 2.25 evo form). Just swapping one after I sliced it though, and am going to a Fat Albert EVO Snakeskin from on one for £23. I’ll see how I get on with it.

stumpy01

Specialized Purgatory on the front & Sauserwind on the back seems to work quite well.

Speed Kings are a pretty good all round tyre though – although mine are a nightmare to get on & off the rim.
    They also last about 10 mins on the road….

lunge

Maxxis Minnion DHF 2.35″ single ply 60a front (42a is grippier but draggier).
    Maxxis ADvantage 2.25″ single ply 60a rear.

This is as good an all round combo as I have found in far to many years riding.

rickon
    Free Member

Rocket Rons are ace, by far the best tyre I’ve used. They’re bonkers light, as much grip as the Nobby Nic, and alright durability wise; unless you ride like a tool or clip sharp rocks a lot.

Cheap on Merlin cycles in the sale Schwalbe section now – £24 a tyre.

bigyinn
    Free Member

One question, a thousand answers, all right and wrong at the same time…

soobalias
    Free Member

ok, you seem to have picked your size – 2.1ish
    manufacturers vary, as do models, but anything between 2.1 and 2.35 written on the side will likely be ok

weight you seem to favour light(er) weight so rule out anything dual ply, DH or SuperTacky (ST, 42a, etc), UST, LUST
    rule out everything at either (far) end of the speed spectrum regarding tread, racing and mud
    price you seem to want cheaper rather than the latest/greatest

what you are left with falls to personal preference. its a bit early in the year for STW to have come to a conclusion about this years next best thing

previous winners
    conti vert pros
    nobby nics
    kenda SB8s
    conti mountain kings
    high rollers
    ADvantages
    rubber queens

to be fair even some of those were not really all-rounders, but just high fashion that particular year

kiwifiz
    Free Member

plus +1 for Lunge’s setup

Maxxis Minnion DHF 2.35″ single ply 60a front (42a is grippier but draggier).
    Maxxis ADvantage 2.25″ single ply 60a rear.

This is as good an all round combo as I have found in far to many years riding.

but I run a 2.1 advantage on the rear for a little less rolling resistance….beefs out with surprising volume on a stans flow rim. Going to try a 2.1 crossmark as a rear alternative for hard pack summer trails

fizzpup
    Free Member

so what you want mate is a light weight fast rolling mud tyre thats good on roads?

bloodyshins
    Free Member

+1 for the Advantage. Great in the rocks (cause they come up pretty big for their size), lightish, grippy, roll fast, ok if not great in mud. Best allrounder I’ve found

lee93
    Free Member

I asked the lads at cyclewise about Tyres as they sell hobby nics and maxxis the nn where £48 each and maxxis igniters where £ 38 the lad told me the bobby nic does not work well at whinlatter its Gerry slippy told me to try the igniror well I love them fast rolling good sticky compound excellent tyre

rudedog
    Free Member

I had a Rubber Queen 2.2 folding – good fast tyre until the side wall blew apart.

I’m now running a Crossmark 2.25 which feels just as fast and also high volume like the RQ. Cornering feels better with the Crossmark – the RQ could feel a bit squirmy at certain pressures which the crossmark doesn’t suffer from.

Tried a small block 8 in between which I thought was OK but nothing special – plenty of grip on most surfaces but not fast.

colournoise

Just switched back from Trailrakers to my ‘3 season’ tyres.

I’m a bit contrary so I run Michelins rather than Schwalbe, Maxxis, Conti or Spesh – Wild Grip’r 2.25 up front and a Wild Race’r 2.10 out back.

slainte 8) rob

hope
    Free Member

Some great advice. Thanks to all who have posted.

I read around and ordered some 2.2 Mountain King IIs

They seem to be getting good reviews. I steered away from the 2.4s because I was worried about frame clearance even though people are saying that they are a narrow 2.4

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Struggling to choose a new tyre!’ is closed to new replies.