Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Strongest chain?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I snapped another chain yesterday and bashed my knee on the stem. To be fair it wasn’t new, but it broke quite spectacularly. Do chains get stronger the more you spend? I’m looking at one of these spangly ones
    from KMC,

http://www.highonbikes.com/kmc-x9-l-gold-9-speed-chain.html

Any good?

cynic-al
    Free Member

IME/O, they don’t.

How did yours break?

tracknicko
    Free Member

how many have you broken?

if its more than one, and they weren’t old. i’d suggest setup/technique.

Bagstard
    Free Member

It is my second in a couple of months, broken when cranking up a short steep hill standing up. Orange alpine 160, 1×9 and e13 LG1+ chainguide.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d say its more likely to be setup or technique rather than the chain itself.

Were you changing gear at the time?

Did you stamp on the pedal?

Was there a stiff link in the chain ie where it was joined?

Is the cassette or chainset worn?

Are you using the correct joining pins if its a Shimano chain etc

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best I had was PC991 cross step

ran 1×9 and didn’t snap it

Superficial
    Free Member

Do chains get stronger the more you spend?

No, they get lighter.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Pretty sure the set up is fine, I wasn’t changing gear as it was too late to do so and would likely break the chain! Not stamping, but using some muscle.Almost new renthal sr4 and sram redwin DH cassette and it broke into two halves, not on a power link.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IME all my snapped chains were down to technique and forceing the gears to change too quickly, never snapped a chain with rapid rise mechs, lots of foreward planning and shifting before the gears needed not when it’s needed and I’ve not snapped one in years.

It’s not nececeraly shifting that snaps the chain, it just forces it to work at a sharp angle between the mech and cassett that forces the outer plate works off the rivet, so the next time you apply some power it pulls the link appart. So the dodgy shift could have occoured minutes/hours/days ago.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks tinas, all the excuse I need to push instead of pedal! :-)So the general consensus is they are all the same?1

cynic-al
    Free Member

wot TINAS said, I think.

I try not to shift under pressure, I don’t snap chains.

righog
    Free Member

Check out YBN Superstrong.

They have compensated for my bad technique, and lasted longer than others I have tried.

My chain snapping reduced dramatically ( completely ? )when I swapped, from FSA chainsets to Shimano.

jameso

The only test info I saw said the chains with shorter pins tended to have the highest strength. And that strength was a UTS of such a high number that there’s almost no way you’d break a chain with pure pedal force, it’d need to have been fitted wrongly or be damaged somehow first. Or, you’re Chris Hoy.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Well I have just ordered a gold KMC chain and shall endeavour to be less clumsy in future.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have the same gold KMC chain – I like it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Strongest chain?’ is closed to new replies.