• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by flow.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stroker Ryde REVIEWS ?
  • bollard
    Free Member

Are these as powerful as the nines ?
    Any reviews welcome
    Also would they bolt onto existing brackets (nines) as i have a 203m rotor on the front ?
    Merlin seem the cheapest ? 😆

cullen-bay
    Free Member

dont buy hayes- they are s**t

bollard
    Free Member

My nines gave up saturday after 4 years !!! (of heavy use)
    What do you recommend a/m and x/c ?

househusband

SLX at Ribble – about £50 an end if you've got the discs.

taka
    Free Member

mine are shiT dont work most of the time and refuse to be blead

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

bollard to answer your questions, yes and yes.

Had 5 trouble free years with HFX Nines, all I ever had to do was change a hose when I cut it in a crash. Got 2nd hand Strokers off here for a new build and they are very similar (hayes are known for being very on/off with little modulation but its never bothered me and I jump straight from that bike to one with M800 Saints with no worries).

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Didnt really get on with the stroker rydes as i found them such a pain, they only ever generated enough power for about 1 week and the seals have died in the lever (I believe) after one winter of serious use.

I replaced them with stroker carbons as i paid £75 for a nearly new set on here. Amazing brakes for the money, okay they class them as AM/FR brakes but who cares even if you are riding XC. I find they do have a bit of modulation, maybe not as much as shimanos but a little more than my rydes. Perhaps due to the different lever design and easy reach adjustment.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Brakes at that price are much of a muchness.
    I would ride strokers( have done before) if they came on a bike, but wouldn't buy them myself as an upgrade. Quads or cheap Avids are probably a better bet.

dustypumpkins

They're not that bad to bleed, I did it fine with a DIY bleed kit. Had loads of problems with them, sent them to the distributer to get fixed. They didn't fix the problem and their "bleed" was shockingly bad so had to bleed again myself.
    I've got 2 pairs on 2 bikes. They're cheap and they slow you down and I like the lever feel. That's why I've still got them.
    More powerful than nines? I wouldn't say so. I've been using nines for ages and I don't think the difference between the 2 is hugely noticeable.
    As for mounts, aye use the old ones.

I got 1st pair off CRC for £70 odd for the pair and 2nd pair from Merlin £70 odd again with no rotors. For the money why not.

bollard
    Free Member

Munqe:would you recommend the trails over the rydes?

I know that hayes are more on than off got some shimanos basic! on my Io
    but they aint bad 😆
    Not as much power as the hayes though
    The stroker ryde pad size looks small in comparision to the trail model ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Stroker Trails powerful than my Deore, a little grabbier but still OK. Mate has Rydes – no reported problems so far.

flow
    Free Member

Hayes Stroker's are absolute crap. Got to be the worst brakes I have owned for a long time, and they were the top end carbon ones. Powerless, a pain in the ass to set up, and always needed re-adjusting every time I took the damn wheels out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stroker Ryde REVIEWS ?’ is closed to new replies.