Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • stripping
  • lyons
    Free Member

What is the best way to strip the paint from a pair of bmx forks, and then re-spray them?

I want to do it myself, as i'm a tight bagstard and dont want to spend much money. But i do want to do a good job…

Cheers, Andy

Potdog
    Free Member

Nitromors! Worked for me on a frame last week. Came up a treat. I was almost tempted to leave it raw and just add a coat of laquer.

lyons
    Free Member

cool,I'll check it out, I presume you just paint it on then leave it? then scrape it off? How does it work exactly?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just sand thw paint down thats on them and spray onto that.

I just stripped all the paint off my bmx and left it at that since paint chips really easily. Hast a few rust patches but its been fine for a few years, adds to the character!

lyons
    Free Member

Yeah, a mate was saying i should just strip it and leave it… I'll see how it looks once its done…

Potdog
    Free Member

The Nitromors gel stuff i used was just painted on. Left it for 30 minutes and then scraped it off. Worth getting any stickers off first as it stops the stripper actually getting to the paint. I took of the loosened paint with a wire brush.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I used some form of paint stripper to do mine, the paint was hard to budge so i ended up sanding it off which gives a shiney brushed finish. A few of my mates just rubbed it off with a cloth and you get the natural look of the steel.

Only pic of mine i can find, doesnt show it very well but its quite shiney 'in the flesh'

lyons
    Free Member

nice, I think it should work. Rest of the bike is red white and black, so if i leave it unfinished it may look a tad strange.

59 – I wat to learn table tops properly. I noticed that you have one fot on the crank, is that normal? I stuggle to get the bike properly flat, and maybe that would be the answer?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, you need to get your leg across the top tube and to do it properly your foot just automatically comes off the pedal, it helps you tweak it a bit more.

I learnt em on a mtb, but there much more fun/easier on a bmx cos you can really 'snap' them out.

Justin Inman is the guy to watch, try and copy his style. About 28 seconds into this vid is a good un. The best trick you can do, except for an endo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBt1tU_F5CE

lyons
    Free Member

cheers mate, I'll get practising them next time i get up to corby…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If corby has a hip jump, learn em on that cos your leaning/turning to the side on take off so your bike starts flattening out anyway. I also think there a bit easier if you boost the jump a bit or pull up a bit on the take off cos it helps the back wheel to come up

lyons
    Free Member

just watched the justin inman vid- hes a seriously good rider.

Corby doesnt really have a hip actually, but there is a foam pit, so I'll try them into that i guess with my mate dom. I should really learn some more basic tricks first, but i think ost of them look crap, so i'm aiming for barspins, tables and 360's…

Ambitious? Moi?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well, you'll never learn em if you dont try em.

However, I dont live by this motto, all I really do is table tops n thats it.

If your learning them into foam then your sorted, I bet you learn 360's before you learn how to do a decent table top though!

**** knows with bar spins, probably safer to learn in a manual I'd say

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘stripping’ is closed to new replies.