Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stripped Threads in Fork
  • obelix
    Free Member

I’ve managed to over-tighten the hex bolt attaching my brakes to the fork, so it’s just spinning.

Is there some way to get it attached so I can avoid replacing entire fork?

I’m thinking along the lines of epoxy into the stripped threads and then letting it set with bolt in place.

tomd
    Free Member

Find a local machine shop who can fit a helicoil insert

mildred

Take them along to your local motorcycle shop and ask them about Helicoil.

If you don’t know what it is have a look here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert

obelix
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, helicoil is right on the money.

Looking into it, I reckon I’ll try get a kit and do it myself.

Anyone with a link to a suitable kit? It’s a rockshox recon fork, so am guessing it’ll be size M6, but not sure about thread pitch or what else is needed besides the kit. Taps?

njee20
    Free Member

If you’re sufficiently ham fisted to strip a calliper bolt may I suggest you are not the ideal person to start fitting helicoils…

nedrapier

Were you using the correct length bolt? I managed to strip a few mm of thread using a too short bolt (stupid and hamfisted) Now got the right length bolt and there’s plenty of intact thread to hold it securely (top bolt thread is unmolested). Threadlock on there too.

mildred

A decent kit (i.e. not likely/easy to cock-up) is prohibitively expensive for a one-off job. Plus, it’s a skill that’s not as easy as it seems. Just take for someone else to sort. Last time I had a helicoil it cost me less than a tenner for the whole job.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member
    ineedabeer
    Free Member

Got a kit and did it myself it was a piece of cake plenty of help on tinternet just do a search

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stripped Threads in Fork’ is closed to new replies.