Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • stripped out thread on suspension fork.
  • dirac
    Free Member

first post here, hopefully someone can help me.

i have a rockshox domain suspension fork and earlier i was removing the brake calliper so i could replace the pads. the thread in the lower of the two screw holes where the calliper sits on the fork has gone and i can’t tighten the screw fully. i think i’ll have to re-tap the thread. has anyone ever done this on a fork before? i’ve never re-tapped a thread in my life.

druidh
    Free Member

You could try a slightly longer bolt.

cynic-al
    Free Member

helicoil?

dirac
    Free Member

ok thanks mate. i was considering that but i didn’t know if it would make it worse. i don’t have anything to hand but i’ll give that a shot.

dirac
    Free Member

@cynic – would you recommend that over a longer screw?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Helicoil. Done a couple for ham fisted mates. Stronger than the original thread when done properly.

chives
    Free Member

Helicoil it. An over-long screw will just bottom out in the hole.

somafunk

You could either bodge it with an application of suitable threadlock such as loctite 262 but if it was my bike i’d tap it out to an M7 and use a light threadlock such as loctite 221 or 222 on a suitable stainless bolt.

Not a hard job, if you are comfortable with doing your own servicing then it’ll be a doddle if you follow online instructions or google “tapping an m7 thread into alloy” and should only take a couple of minutes.

dirac
    Free Member

ok cheers folks. helicoil it is.

somafunk

Helicoils are tricky to fit correctly, especially for a novice and seeing as you only get one chance at a correct fit i’d advise against it.

I speak from experience of fitting literally 100’s of helicoils over the past 20 odd years, i’d much rather tap and resize if possible.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have had to do a few of these and the chepest solution is tap to M& and use an M7 bolt. Takes minutes and the caliper bolt is very secure.

Helicoiling is the other way but if you get the drilling wrong it game over.

I do wonder why hardened steel threaded inserts are not used in forks for the caliper bolts to be screwed in. It would reduce the frequency of these problems and save forks.

dirac
    Free Member

no worries. i’ve just spoken to a mate on the phone and he has a tap and die kit. he’s used it loads so i’m gonna go with that, thanks for the help everyone.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Helicoils aren’t that difficult-don’t let people scare you.
    I’ve done three sets of forks this year without any problems, just take your time or get someone who knows what they’re doing to help.
    No harder than drilling out & resizing.

wwaswas

I’ve done three sets of forks this year without any problems

Can I recommend that sir invest in a torque wrench 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Helical is easier the more thread that has been stripped out.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    I’ve done three sets of forks this year without any problems

Can I recommend that sir invest in a torque wrench
    Arms like popeye, what can I say.. 🙄

johnners
    Free Member

I do wonder why hardened steel threaded inserts are not used in forks for the caliper bolts to be screwed in. It would reduce the frequency of these problems and save forks.

I think you’ve answered your own question there!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Helical is easier the more thread that has been stripped out.

Doesn’t really make much difference as it has to be drilled & tapped for the helicoil anyway, so as long as the right size bit is sharp, the amount that’s stripped out is irrelevant

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s only easier in that if you’re not overly happy with a drill, a bigger hole gets it in straighter, so to speak.

In fact, the last one I did for a mate was so mullered, it didn’t need drilling really.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘stripped out thread on suspension fork.’ is closed to new replies.