Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stripped Middleburn Crank Threads
  • thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

Last night the driveside crank’s pedal thread stripped out on my friend’s bike in the middle of a ride. S* happens, but they’re nice cranks and we’d like to rescue the crank if it’s possible.

Helicoiling is one option that springs to mind but is this a viable long term solution? it needs to be as straight as possible too which I imagine would only make the job more challenging than say ‘coiling threads on a stem.

If it’s of any help these are made of 7075. Some places say they’ll only helicoil softer 6-series cranks. I’m not sure why. Does anyone know of a good bike shop or competent mechanic that can repair it?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

I would personally organize steel sleeve with proper pedal thread and set it into the crank arm by pressing and/or liquid metal gluing.

Cheers!
    I.

nickjb
    Free Member

Helicoil would be fine. That said those cranks must be getting a bit old now, might be time to think about retiring them or moving them to a pub bike. Seen a few fail

Edric64
    Free Member

That “nice crank” looks like it has been used as a hammer ? Is it worth an expensive repair

thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

They used to live on a trials bike, now on my friend’s 26″ SSer.

Rescuing them would be the cheaper option than say getting a Zee crankset which is plan B if repairing the thread goes pear-shaped.

Who can get it done well?

letmetalktomark

I’ve had some luck in the past threading in a tap from the other side – Can’t tell from that pic how much meat is left.

May be worth a try first?

Edric64
    Free Member

Are middleburn small enough to send it back to for a repair.

duncancallum

Helicoil would sort that.

You could machine it out n plug it with an insert but I’d try a Helicoil first

thomthumb
    Free Member

highpath will be the people to speak to.

Highpath Homepage

bonesetter
    Free Member

I have some nice shiny proper nearly new ones FS

schmiken

Fully recommend Highpath, done a lot of excellent work for me in the past.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stripped Middleburn Crank Threads’ is closed to new replies.