• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Strider Bike vs Islabike
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Any thoughts on what’s best for a small toddler? We have a Toddlebike which is pretty good, but growing legs are beginning to get in the way of the rear wheels. These two look like the best options, but are there any others I should consider?

With Striders, is the aluminium one worth the extra money?

Thanks all!

jam-bo

strider has a much lower standover than the smallest islabike. its also about half the weight which when they are small is a real bonus.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You’ve forgotten Frog, they now do a Tadpole mini with miles of standover.

In our experience frogs are great bikes, we have 4

moonsaballoon

Just retired a strider bike as the boy has just moved on to a pedal bike . The strider was great and would definitely recommend it , bombproof as well .
    We didn’t have the all aluminium one , ours was about £80 I think and it was light enough for him to ride as a two year old

wrecker
    Free Member

Weight is important, you’ll end up carrying it a LOT!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Haha! I’ll remember that!

I’ve joined the Facebook group. Let’s see if I can score a cheapo second hand one.

pdw
    Free Member

Both of ours have had Striders. Second the comments on weight – you’ll be carrying it a lot. We had the “sport” one and that was light enough. I don’t regret not spending the extra for the alu version. It comes with two different seat posts which gives it a really good range of heights.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Strider’s are brilliant little bikes. We have the aluminium version and it is ridiculously light but we chose it purely for the looks and not the weight. The standard one is hardly heavy.
    My only dislike is the domed bolts on the rear wheel stick out quite far and my lad keeps bashing his legs on them but he is too young to understand how to avoid doing it. I might look at getting some lower profile ones.

DT78
    Free Member

We have a strider and a toddlebike. Would buy both again. Currently cannot get my 2 year old to move onto the strider even though he is too big for the toddlebike.

In terms of carrying bikes, I have a large Velcro strap which came on an ikea mattress, it is pretty easy to run through the frame and then across the shoulder so you can carry it on your bike. I even do it when I’m riding and he is in the weeride.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Anywhere apart from eBay I can get them second hand? Is there a Facebook group?

wrecker
    Free Member

Even if not, that £66 for the little classic strider is the best £66 I have ever spent on cycling stuff.

poah
    Free Member

We have a Verenti Nippy, cheap and light and Sophie loves hers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Strider Bike vs Islabike’ is closed to new replies.