Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Street / dirt / singlespeed hybrid ? Need Inspiration
  • endorphinix
    Free Member

I’m dreamin up a new bike build project and need some ideas.

I have a Giant Trance x1 full suss (older 100mm version) already and ride enduro xc events on it and its great. But I want a second bike for playing about on. Something that I could maybe run single speed, that is very chuckable can do some street etc. Really I just want something simple, cool and fun. Poss rigid at first but will get a short suss fork eventually.

However

When I’m ridin at these events on some occasions I wish I had a back up bike in the van.. So the post will need to be able to go up and ride it like I stole it over miles of xc if necessary.

Any ideas peeps?

Budget is flexible but will be looking at second hand stuff to keep cost down.

Euro
    Free Member

DMR Sidekick

endorphinix
    Free Member

Looks quite good, got good review on bike radar, thatand the trail star. DMR website didnt seem to have it on it I’m guessing its an older model?
    That suits me though.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

mk1/mk2 Chameleon
    PDC Kingpin (if you can find one – my prototype one looks very pretty hanging on my wall)
    Orange MsIsle
    etc
    etc
    etc

Any kind of ‘large’ 4X/jumpy frame should suit.

_tom_
    Free Member

DMR Sidekick or Trailstar would do nicely and they’re so cheap 2nd hand. I think the older short travel versions had problems with head tube cracks, I know mine did! Have since had a long travel (130mm forks) version for a few years.. its taken an absolute battering and is still going strong. Awesome bike for DJ on and it’s ok for pedalling around as well. You’d most likely need to use a tensioner for ss though. 32-16 works well on a trailstar without a tensioner until the chain stretches. I find a rear mech works best as a tensioner, just looks a bit crap.

endorphinix
    Free Member

looking at all the above, any other riders out there with a fun bike that can be taken on a longer jolly if required.

GW
    Free Member

I usr an old style STP for everything from DJ/DH riding to all day XC jaunts (it’s around 28lb with 20mm Reba, saint double, DH/DJ strength wheels and 410mm post) it’s the most vetsatile bike I’ve ever owned. A new style STP would be perfect for what you want (similar to the old ones but SS friendly dropouts). If you’re under 6 ft.

Could easily build it SS to around 25lb with a short 20mm thru axle fork and keep it strong enough for giving it some abuse.

Spesh P bike too ( the alloy DJ one)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

DMR trailstar or a sidekick if you’re very small. You can buy the frames dead cheap 2nd hand. Everyone has to own a DMR at some point in their lives!

tracknicko
    Free Member

i had both trailstars and sidekicks for the last 10 yrs or so.

sidekick feels much better at bmx track/trails. trailstar better on singletrack type stuff, but still not an xc bike.

MUCH preferred the sidekick overall.

im 6ft3

chamley
    Free Member

Like GW, I have a Giant STP and use it for everything. Looks comical with my 410mm post but it works and is fun. They do a medium and a large. I have a large and i’m 6ft1, does the job.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The only problem with the sidekick is you may struggle to get the seat to a decent pedalling height due to the 14″ seat tube.

endorphinix
    Free Member

Have always loved the look of a Chameleon, but had Aluminium hard tail and a carbon one before so fancy steel or if cheap enough a used titanium.

What do people think of the Charge Duster? Or something from Ragley..

Its hard to say just how my riding time will be divided up, between playing about trials ish and for longer 10mile rides.

Any other ideas

lardman
    Free Member

I have a mountain-cycle ‘Rumble’ for all my non-FS duties. Its a damn sweet machine.

Not too heavy, but tough as old boots. If you buy the long/large frame and put a short stem on it, its a great trail bike that can be jumped and dropped.

Found my frame for peanuts. Comes with slotted, and standard drop-outs for choice of drivetrain.

like this – here

endorphinix
    Free Member

Found this and now dont know what to do..

Stanton Bikes

The Slackline looks great, but will cost a good bit more than a used frame off here… Hmm do I hold out for a new lead bike… looking at that even the deore spec build has some really good stuff in there. Wonder what id get for my 09 trance 1… he he

kayak23

Stanton are soon to have a new frame to consider. The sherpa.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/36377851[/video]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Street / dirt / singlespeed hybrid ? Need Inspiration’ is closed to new replies.