Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Streaming Video from the PC to the TV
  • jon1973
    Free Member

They mention on the PC world ad about wirelessly streaming video (and music maybe?) directly from the PC to your TV.

Sounds like an interesting idea. What device would you need to do this?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

a wireless compatible TV

will become more common

wires are SO 1900s

jon1973
    Free Member

really? not something I can do with my current setup then?

You can't just plug some wireless reciever into my CRT TV scart then?

tragically1969
    Free Member

You can do it with an XBOX 360 very easily.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

plug your laptop in ?

Looks like this is what you want

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/113954

or this

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175291

could put media on a SD card ? or flash drive ?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

although personally I've realised the answer with most new technologies is to wait till everyone is doing it. Then the devices are generally cheaper and more stable.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

You can use a console (say Wii or 360, etc) already connected to TV and to your wireless network.
    You'll need software (free) to allow your PC to act as a media hub and then access all the video/music via the console.

I tried it a couple of years ago with limited success. Worked but was a bit clunky so it fell out of favour with me. I will have another go when I get my next PC.
    Can't remember the package I used, suggest you google "free media hub" or similar.
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if the solutions available have moved on a bit since I played at it.
    Cheers.

tragically1969
    Free Member

For the XBOX you dont need any additional software on your PC, it just hooks into your Media Player 11 library, was playing about with it last night, dead simple and seems to work well over wireless.

MrNutt
    Free Member

xbox and a mac also works using a thing called connect360

Burts
    Free Member

XBox360 works very well. No other software required, it uses Windows Media Player on your XP/Vista/W7 computer to share the files over your network. It can handle standard def or HD.

If you don't want a games console, then you can buy a media streaming device to do the same thing. I've seen these in my local shop, not used them myself though:

WD Media Streaming Boxes

Dancake
    Free Member

I built a cheap media centre PC a few years ago and found it really useful.

Ive since upgraded and use it for all my movies, internet and gaming (COD 6 is great on a 42 inch telly!)

The PC sits in a cupboard under my telly and is networked to my other PC

Makes a great PVR too

nb you want to go passive cooling though; fans can get a bit annoying when you are volume 1 trying not to wake the baby uP 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Streaming Video from the PC to the TV’ is closed to new replies.