Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Streaming machine's……
  • mrbiker473
    Free Member

So I’m after something that can comfortably stream 1080p video off the net (Netflix, skygo, nowtv e.t.c) and run desktop programs like chrome and the BT sport app (windows 10 specific) without lagging e.t.c

Would something like: below, run, such things easily?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-OptiPlex-Desktop-Intel-Core-i5-2nd-Gen-2400CPU-3-1GHz-5GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-/222364343369?nav=LOST

Or any other ideas Welcome…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Basically a pc? It’s what I use for my TV but 99% of what I do would be covered by chromecast and a firestick

mrbiker473
    Free Member

Yes. Basically a PC that would do what I need.

But not Chromecast, since I want full flash player support via chrome or ie/opera e.t.c? And the BT sport app (via ee mobile) what can’t be Chromecast??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure, for 100 quid and a wireless keyboard you can stick win 10 on it and do just about anything

mrbiker473
    Free Member

Not sure, for 100 quid and a wireless keyboard you can stick win 10 on it and do just about anything

Chromecast/ fire stick or did you mean a PC?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the PC, you can get both the others for less, only the PC will run Windows though.

hols2
    Free Member
    twonks

Most functions are relatively easy on a processor so any reasonably new system will cope. The problem is the 1080p video. If you are just playing it with no transcoding on the fly fine, if not, you may have issues.

I’ve looked into the same many times and the issue is always around the movies files.

Transcoding is using a processor in real time (as your watching it) to change the 1080p into something the device your watching it on supports.

Basically if the only thing you watch films on plays the files in 1080p then no problem. If you want to watch on multiple devices then there could be problems.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Raspberry Pi.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Streaming machine's……’ is closed to new replies.