Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Straw poll – 'enduro' 150/160 mm travel bike pedals flats or clipless?
  • filks

What do you use?
    Love clipless on my xc machine but building an enduro beast and can see the advantages of both options……

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Clip in to win (and have fun).

honourablegeorge

For me, I’m not in a hurry to the top, and not racing, so flats every time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As the mood takes me I switch between the two.

br
    Free Member

Both.

Sunday it was spd’s, mainly due to the weather so wanted to wear my winter boots whereas the previous week it was flats for off-piste fun.

superfli
    Free Member

Race in clips, playing on flats.

trailhound
    Free Member

80% on clips, like to swap to flats for steep/sketchy stuff.

jam-bo

Clips if it dries out and I can be bothered to change.

nuke

Clipless…because I’ve never used anything else for the past 20+ years

breadcrumb

I don’t get on with clipless pedals off road so flats every time.

dandasbike
    Free Member

Clips

coogan
    Free Member

Flats

jamesfts
    Free Member

Clips most of the time and for racing but throw flats on now and again for foot-out, sideways fun. Also good to make sure you’re riding properly and not relying on the clips.

Tracey

All on flats and Five Tens in our house.

teethgrinder

SPuDs since 1991.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Flats for me. Foot out flat out

kudos100
    Free Member

Flats for everything, including on the road bike. I thought I needed clips when I got a road bike, turns out the bike works fine without them.

Nothing against clips, I used them 20 years ago, but I cannot be arsed with another thing to buy and then have to swap over.

Also I like to be a rebel like Sam Hill (Possibly the only thing I have in common with him)

tmb467
    Free Member

Flats.

I had spds on the HT for years and they were good but lo the wonders of full suspension opened my eyes and I was converted

munrobiker
    Free Member

Clips. I don’t have as much control with flats. And more power is good.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No clips for me.

Tried it, but just can’t make it work for me.

Use what’s comfortable, if you’re good enough, you’ll win on flats or clips. They don’t make a difference in one being better than the other, apart from personal preference.

chiefgrooveguru

Clip in to win

Exactly (XC/DH/4X/BMX/Enduro). And as I’m never going to, I always ride flats! 😛

tymbian
    Free Member

As per Tracey.

lucky7500

Flats here.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Clips but I shouldn’t in snow because they just get clogged and frozen up and you can’t clip in :/

edward2000
    Free Member

Used flats all my life. Tried clips and couldn’t see what benefit they offered, I could do everything on flats that I could on clips. In the bin* they went.

*pinkbike classified

philjunior
    Free Member

SPD’s for everything here. Feel more in control rather than really being all that fussed over every 0.1% of pedalling efficiency tho. And I have toasty winter boots 🙂

tomhoward

Last summer in whistler I saw a guy ride a Spesh Enduro down ‘Crank it up’ on toe clips and straps… 😯

Flats for me, but may give clips a whirl.

stevede
    Free Member

Same as CaptainFlashheart I switch between the two when I fancy. Always clips for racing but I chuck the flats on (and tend to keep em on for a good few rides) when I feel like I’ve been clipped in for too long just to change things up a bit, have some fun getting loose and prevent the odd bad habit creeping in.

andyrm
    Free Member

Flats – switched from SPDs 2 years ago – I’m faster on them by a decent margin. Probably a confidence/commitment thing but all that matters is being faster!

Northwind

Flat pedals for heterosexuals. Or something.

Seriously, use the one you like. If either is better, it’s SPDs but it’s not a big enough difference to outweigh personal preference, unless you’re at the pointy end of racing.

Still, there are times when flats can be a whole lot better and these times do come up more regularily if you’re a) doing a typical UK slop-filled enduro and b) not brilliant at it. There’s been races/stages like sooks pipe at kinlochleven or not for poofs at inners where I was seriously glad to be on flats

Oh and of course try both, properly, don’t just do that nonsense thing people do where you spend 5 years on one pedal, do a single ride on the other and say “I don’t like it”.

Simon

Flats.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Clips if your committed

Flats if your scared.

Or

Flats if your cool

Clips if you dont care (which means your cool)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Flats because they don’t shit up your knees.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Flats if you dont know how to set up clips properly

nickc

spds

knees are fine

nickdavies

Clips on everything. Occasionally think I should be on flats for more DH stuff but then try it and hate it.
    Enduro is all about crashing in spuds….

sbob
    Free Member

Flats, because cycling is a normal part of everyday life. 🙂

frood
    Free Member

Clipped in for the win on everything except taking a BMX to a skatepark. Used to do a bit of DH about 7 or 8 years ago, tried flats but got fed up after 2 runs.

euans2
    Free Member

I used to run clips all the time but got bored and lazy so went back to flats

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Clipped as always, it’s just better

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Straw poll – 'enduro' 150/160 mm travel bike pedals flats or clipless?’ is closed to new replies.