• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Straw poll 2: camping in -1 degrees, using a carful of sheets, duvet etc…
  • jhw
    Free Member

…but no proper sleeping bag (as left it in my home overseas and can’t be arsed buying a new one).

Will I die?

palmer77
    Free Member

Well I camped in -10 last year and didn’t die

molgrips
    Free Member

No.

jhw
    Free Member

Ta. even with completely inappropriate/no equipment

I don’t know what’s warmer, a duvet or a sleeping bag.

This is going to be such a half-assed trip

takisawa2

Camped in bit lower than that as a teen. And that was just duvets & blankets. Woke with hair frozen to makeshift tent wall. 🙂
    Parents thought us foolish, but were happy to risk our demise.

cp

you’ll be fine. There’s nothing magical about a sleeping bag except the construction generally allows them to be compressed small for a given warmth. Your duvet will be far warmer than many sleeping bags…

jhw
    Free Member

OK thx- I’ll sleep in the full face and goggles (and pants) as well as driving in them (per the other thread)

Sidney
    Free Member

What will you be sleeping on? Make sure you’ve got some insulation between you and the floor!

molgrips
    Free Member

Duvets are lovely for camping though, much more comfy than a sleeping bag 🙂

palmer77
    Free Member

Try rubbing yourself in goose lard to be on the safe side 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Duvet / blankets will be fine. Keep a hat on and buy or borrow a ground mat of some sort, the foam ones can be had for less than a tenner.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes, although the big advantage of a sleeping bag is you don’t get nasty drafts when you turn over.

Applying my usual duvet technique – rolling into a tube – to the annoyance of my GF.

jhw
    Free Member

Maybe I could fashion a sleeping bag out of my duvet using gaffer tape.

I was thinking about just taking my couch cushions (I know how half-assed this sounds)

epicyclo

Nice plump GF makes a difference…

TheFopster
    Free Member

Done this and was very cold – heat loss to floor was a killer. If you have inflatable mattress rather than a cell one you’ll need something pretty thick underneath you – duvet on top will be fine. I bought a sleeping bag from the local camping shop after one night and was comfy for the rest of the trip. £20 well spent…

retro83
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

Yes, although the big advantage of a sleeping bag is you don’t get nasty drafts when you turn over.

Applying my usual duvet technique – rolling into a tube – to the annoyance of my GF.

It’s all about the tuck:

molgrips
    Free Member

Just get a cheap thermarest knock-off or even a karrimat. Will help loads.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks, not an option though. Need it for this weekend and Brussels has no camping shops. Or anything particularly practical in fact.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Straw poll 2: camping in -1 degrees, using a carful of sheets, duvet etc…’ is closed to new replies.