Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stravaists – get route info from a heatmap bit?
  • submarined
    Free Member

No idea if this is possible at all, but the other day I saw a few MTBers pop out of a gap in the hedge as I was going past. I’ve had a look on the Strava heatmap and found activity where I think they were coming from, and it’s a legitimate bridleway. Is there anyway to expand this out and find and routes that used that bit of the heatmap? It doesn’t appear to be an actual ‘segment’.

Forgive me bike lords, I’m not an adept Strava user, I only use it to compare my training rides…
    Cheers 🙂

otsdr
    Free Member

Try clicking “View Flybys” on your ride, maybe you’ll see who they were and where they were coming from.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m still trying to get that strava to gpx utility thingy to work!

https://mapstogpx.com/strava/

STATO
    Free Member

Find a nearby segment in the finder section. Click a selection of the times set by riders and it will show you their rides, then you can see where they go and what they have chosen to ride. You can also do this for segments you like on your rides, and see what others who do that segment ride, ive found a lot of good local stuff that way.

submarined
    Free Member

OTSDR – I haven’t got a FlyBys option – pretty sure I turned it off in privacy options. I’m guessing I can’t do that retrospectively?

STATO: Cheers – unfortunately the only segments in that area appear to be road ones, and it they were pretty much crossing the road.

antigee

Not an adept strava user just but have done similar I just bring up OSM next to the strava heat map and look for the obvious or go back and have a poke around

zilog6128

I haven’t got a FlyBys option – pretty sure I turned it off in privacy options. I’m guessing I can’t do that retrospectively?

You certainly can 🙂 Enable FlyBys, have a bit of a snoop, then just down periscope again & no-one will be any the wiser

dissonance

unfortunately the only segments in that area appear to be road ones

road segments tend to bury all the offroad stuff. I would try switching on the fly by and if that doesnt work just ride it and see if any segments come up.
    One thing strava is good/bad for (depending on sneaky trails etc) is, as Stato says, the ability to bring up a segment leaderboard and then click through and look at what the entire ride was for various people

petec
    Free Member

Suunto do it a little better

Especially – it seems – for off road stuff.

Probably less people using it though!

submarined
    Free Member

Excellent stuff, Flybys on > view FlyBy got it!
    Thanks a bunch people 🙂

Found out the guy’s route, and also, scarily, his name and where he lives, as well as his collection of bikes. Strava is pretty terrifying if you don’t lock it down :/

*Hurredly runs back to turn Flybys off*

STATO
    Free Member

You certainly can Enable FlyBys, have a bit of a snoop, then just down periscope again & no-one will be any the wiser

leave it on because everyone can see your ride anyway on segment leaderboards and all the clubs you are in.

dissonance

leave it on

Agree. Just use a somewhat vague name and add privacy zones round anywhere important. Even then start/end recording away from the home.

submarined
    Free Member

FWIW, I’m not in any clubs and my stuff it hidden from leaderboards. Fake name plus no picture plus no details. It really is just so a mate and I can encourage each other to train 🙂

welshfarmer

If you do find someones’ route you fancy and are not premium and want to convert it to a gpx I have found an easy work-around. While looking at their route if you click the “spanner” icon and then “create route” it will open an exact copy of any route in the Strava route creation tool. Sometimes nothing appears, but if you click Save it will create the route for you. It then gives the option to export it, either direct to your Garmin or to save it to your PC as a gpx file for future use.

molgrips
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I was discussing this with someone yesterday – can we get heatmap data and put it onto some other map.

And I found out that there is a way.. let me go google it again.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. ok so I have figured something out. You can view strava heatmap data in the OSM mapping editors. These are programs for editing OSM data itself, not for editing your own GPXes.

I think the only way to do that would be to create your own OSM map using the editor and draw the trails on it from the Strava data. Then find a way to use the new map you created in a route editor.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stravaists – get route info from a heatmap bit?’ is closed to new replies.