• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Strava will no longer be linked to Garmin Connect
  • iolo
    Free Member

I just had an email saying Strava will no longer be linked to Garmin Connect.
    It will work with Express but this means I will no longer be able to pair my Fenix watch via bluetooth to my iphone.
    That’s annoying.

MSP

I use https://tapiriik.com/ to keep them synced.

iolo
    Free Member

Dear iolo,

Over the past year, Garmin has stopped supporting their Communicator plug-in. Many popular browsers (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox) have taken steps to disable and eliminate the plug-in framework that the Communicator uses. As a result, the Communicator plug-in has become unreliable and problematic for thousands of Strava athletes.

For this reason, Strava will stop supporting the Garmin Communicator plug-in as an upload method on June 30, 2015. We encourage all Garmin users to link their Garmin Connect and Strava accounts and use Garmin Express for uploading their activities. Learn more.
    Alternatively, users of some USB-compatible Garmin devices may still upload their activity files (.fit, .gpx, .tcx) directly.

atlaz
    Free Member

No. It will no longer be linked to Garmin Communicator which is the webpage plugin. Express/Connect as a combo works fine

iolo
    Free Member

Is there a phone app for that? Connecting the watch via USB is a pain.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, which is a good thing IMO.

Sorry you won’t be able to sync, but we’ll be alwriiight, and thats all I care about 😆

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I have a garmin but long ago stopped using Garmin websites. I always upload directly to strava using the Garmin Communicator.

I noticed on Monday that this was no longer possible and uploaded the file directly from the garmin device. Shame, but not really much more hassle for me.

scotroutes

Just to clarify… Strava will still be linked to Connect, just not Communicator?

bikebouy
    Free Member

i thought express replaced communicator, clearly I’m wrong.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve always uploaded to Strava directly from the device or more recently via file upload having copied the file from the device to my computer.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I have a garmin but long ago stopped using Garmin websites. I always upload directly to strava using the Garmin Communicator.

You still can, you just have to select your activity log files manually.

nickdavies

I just had an email saying Strava will no longer be linked to Garmin Connect.
    It will work with Express but this means I will no longer be able to pair my Fenix watch via bluetooth to my iphone.
    That’s annoying.

Phone will still work fine, strava will be linked to connect The email says communicator, not connect. It’s only the plugin that you use to upload to strava via a web browser when plugging your garmin in they’re referring to – so you won’t be affected if you’re connecting via your phone and the app.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member

You still can, you just have to select your activity log files manually.

Wow! Thanks for bothering to read the second paragraph of my post! 😆

theflatboy
    Free Member

wittonweavers – Member

I noticed on Monday that this was no longer possible and uploaded the file directly from the garmin device. Shame, but not really much more hassle for me.

Same. Same. Same. Same. Same. Same. And same.

jontykint
    Free Member

GARMIN DEVICE –> ANT+ DONGLE –> GARMIN EXPRESS –> STRAVA

As soon as I turn my laptop on that’s what happens

Piece of pee pee

jontykint
    Free Member

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Garmin express isn’t reliable for me on Windows 8.1

The whole thing is getting to be a PITA

higgo
    Free Member

Not working for me.

I have an older Garmin (Forerunner 305) so, as far as I know, I can’t access the files directly.

I have loaded Garmin Express and synced it with my device. The run is showing in Garmin Connect. I have connected to Garmin Connect through Strava. But the activity is not syncing from Garmin over to Strava.

The irony is that this is probably the worst/slowest run I’ve done in the last twenty years but that’s not the point. I want to get this sorted.

I have tickets logged with both Garmin and Strava support but if anyone else has had and fixed the same problem I’d love to hear about it.

higgo
    Free Member

Found a short term fix… load activity into Garmin connect, export as gpx, import file into Strava.

dyls

You can link garmin connect to strava, so garmin will automatically upload to strava – no need to export as gpx etc

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’ve got my Garmin linked to Strava and it works well since the last Garmin Connect update. Before Garmin Connect was very unreliable for me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I uninstalled Express as it appeared to be causing problems with my PC. Not shutting down properly etc after I use it.

I have Strava connected to Garmin Connect (somewhere in the settings on Connect or Strava as I recall), and then manually upload the FIT file under Activities in Connect using the Import button. I also backup the FIT file first as I don’t trust my Garmin to not delete it randomly as it used to.

I’ve also got Connect linked to Endomondo.

Once uploaded to Connect it syncs automatically to the connected accounts. Except when it doesn’t. Like right now 🙁

br
    Free Member

My Express has been working fine (last upload was on Tuesday), but for some reason it isn’t uploading todays ride to Strava…

So it could just something that isn’t working now, rather than not at all.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Strava will no longer be linked to Garmin Connect’ is closed to new replies.