Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Strava to massage Ego's
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As it says …

And in the old feed, if too much time passed between the end of your activity and when you uploaded, you likely missed the so-called “kudos window” completely. It’s easy to do, with no internet access, a missing GPS cord, or you simply forget – we’ve heard it all and are hard at work on ways to improve your feed experience.

We’ll soon elevate those awesome posts that your friends have been commenting on while you were away. And we’ll work to ensure that they notice when you upload a tough workout, capture that epic sunrise photo, nail that ultra-clever activity title, or finish a race or event that really matters to you.

Look at me, look at me 8) 😆 🙄

scaredypants

will it run back to 2003? I did an awesome ride in June

martinhutch

Awesome post FD.

🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ego’s what?

nickc

Look at me, look at me

well, as a business model, it’s clearly working,right? And what’s more important than keeping your customers happy?

jekkyl

possessive or plural?

jonba
    Free Member

Same as Facebook then. Pushes things up that are more popular. Could make things more interesting. More inspiring rides and less zwift/commuting.

Still, if you don’t want to see the rides of people appearing in your feed don’t follow them, surely? I like to see mates race results. I’ve got plenty of inspiration from friends going interesting and new places as well.

mos

I use Strava and not one word in that first post makes any sense to me.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Groan! Why do social media companies think people want this?! Deleted facebook because it thought all I wanted to see where posts from some random person I raced against because I liked one of his photos.

Deleted Twitter for the same reason and now Strava will be telling me about some random person I follow because he has 1000 followers and they all gave him kodos for riding 10miles.

julians
    Free Member

Just wait until they start putting ads in the feed

scotroutes

now Strava will be telling me about some random person I follow because he has 1000 followers and they all gave him kodos for riding 10miles.

Do you follow lots of “random” people on Strava then? Surely the point is only to follow folk in whom you have some interest. Are you one of those folk that just follows everyone hoping they’ll reciprocate and then it looks like you’ve lots of friends?

tmb467
    Free Member

Time was – social media actually meant social and your Facebook friends were mostly people you knew (or went to school with)

Now it’s all about followers, and social media is now individual media.

Anyway – look at me!

jekkyl

I follow a few random people, not that I care about kudos but I generally added some of the top 5 or top 10 people who’ve ridden decent offroad segments in my local area. I figure if they’re getting top 10 out of 500 they’re likely to be pretty keen cyclists and I can look at their routes and copy them 😀 which is a strategy that’s worked pretty well. The consequence is that I have loads of randoms on there and no idea how they were added or where from.

chakaping
    Free Member

xc-steve – that’s a bit like throwing out the baby with the bathwater, you can customise what you see on FB reasonably well – there are several “friends” I’ve muted because I don’t want to cut them off, but equally find their FB activity highly irritating.

chakaping
    Free Member

And putting aside the OP’s facile contribution, the Strava feed clearly needs some modification IMO.

I’m not interested in seeing people’s commutes or Zwift rides, so weighting according to my previous engagement & other kudos might address that.

Also I often upload big rides a days or weeks after the event, on returning from a trip. I’m sure my adoring public is eager to see these, which the changes might allow them to – as opposed to burying them way down the feed.

The “kudos window” is a daft turn of phrase though.

😀

thegeneralist
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Ego’s what?

Dunc, you still haven’t answered Flash’s question.

whitestone
    Free Member

Most of those I follow are: members of the same cycling club; friends; local riders I happen to have ridden with at some point. Similarly most of those following me are from the same categories. Most are on both lists, i.e. there’s not many I follow who don’t follow me and vice versa.

I get “kudos” for my commute – it’s obvious it’s my commute. These days there’s few PBs or cups so it’s just a ride. It’s usually the same individuals doing it.

If I do big multi-day rides then they get dropped into the list at the time I started riding so they get “lost” in the mess of everything.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Does anyone actually review their friend’s ride before hitting the thumbs up button?

I don’t, I go for a ride, my mates give me a thumbs up, I do they same for them – I never look at the distance / cups etc, it’s more of a virtual high-five for effort.

chakaping
    Free Member

Does anyone actually review their friend’s ride before hitting the thumbs up button?

We did this before, yes I have very strict criteria, including…

Never kudos anything under 500m ascent.
    Unless KOMs or top 10s involved.
    Or kids, or people recovering from injury/illness.
    Nice pictures increase likelihood of kudos.
    Anything over 1,000m ascent or 40km distance (offroad) 80km (road) very likely to get kudos.

etc etc.

HTH 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

If I notice a KOM on a friend’s ride or something I’ll give them kudos.

I’ve been KOM stealing from a friend, and he’s been very good for giving me kudos each time, for instance.

I’d like a bit more of a notification when someone has got kudos or a PB on a segment they’ve ridden a few times before (it’s a bit meaningless if it’s the second time they’ve ridden it) or something – as long as it’s not based on how much kudos they’ve already had on the ride then that’s OK (the etiquette in road club rides seems to be to give the other 50 or so riders in the bunch kudos, which is fine and all that, but not a particularly important/impressive ride from my point of view).

edit – the kudos I appreciate most is actually when I’ve not been going that fast or anything, but someone has noticed the shitty weather I’ve been riding in or the nice scenery/ride of their own accord “because they care”…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I only ever give Kudos if you actually did something to deserve it
    Simply riding your bike is not enough we all do that.

last one was when a mate [ on here] cycled 40 miles off road into to work starting at 4 am

I dont really use it for much mind as this is pretty much my only foray into “social media”

P-Jay
    Free Member

Some tough players above, but you’ve got to respect them – me, I give Kudos out like confetti – I gave one yesterday for a GPS Error.

whitestone
    Free Member

Generally the ride has to have something “special” or extra about it to warrant being given kudos. That might be distance; height gained; a series of KOMs or cups; bad weather; returning from injury, etc. One of our club members was one of those seriously injured in last year’s Ride London for example so he gets kudos.

chakaping
    Free Member

Almost forgot, amusing ride titles can override all the other rules to win kudos.

scotroutes

That.

spot
    Free Member

certainly not massaging my own ego with my strava times

🙂
    cuz i’m slow

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Strava seems to be key facilitator of cycling becoming the new golf

jekkyl

bit weird when you check the flyby after to find that you passed one your random local strava friends and didn’t even say hi!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Now it’s all about followers, and social media is now individual media.

it doesn’t have to be though – i made facebook a lot better by deleting idiots. my feed is much slower but it always interests me, makes me happy to know stuff.

people who moan about it often moan about idiots on there, well sack them off and they are no longer on there!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Ego’s what?

Dunc, you still haven’t answered Flash’s question.

Sorry, I have slapped my own wrist if that helps you both feel better 🙄

Strava has definitely been moving more in to social network thing with clubs and photos etc. This is the next step taking it from a way of recording rides/runs/training data in to a social app.

I like the chronological approach, I can see what training others are doing, not just how popular they are.

I follow 1 local world class athlete just so I can see what type of trainnig he does, every run he does he gets 100+ kudos, this means he will be at the top every time I open the app! (so will have to ditch him)

I reckon it wont be long before adds appear as mentioned above.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I reckon it wont be long before adds appear as mentioned above.

They’re going to need adds, as they keep ignoring basic features on their ‘suggestions’ list leading to more and more people unsubbing.

For example, how is it we still cant add photos from PC despite the improvement requested years ago. As has been pointed out, the API exists, and its about a days coding for an experienced web developer, so why’s it not done?
    Clearly because they’re too busy making updates to the feed that no-one wants.

scotroutes

FWIW, the VeloViewer site will now post a nice 3D profile of your ride via the Strava photo API.

cookeaa

I suppose the question has to be, is Strava still a training tool with bolted on “Social Media” or is it social media app with a “Fitness tracking USP”?…

It’s starting to feel a bit like the latter now, where before it just reported chronologiacally who’d done what lately, kudos or not… which I much prefered.

I’ve bee quite Choosy about who I follow, stuck mostly to people I know/ride with on occasion and not just loads of randoms or Pro-Athletes…

The prospect of “Targeted advertising” really doesn’t fill me with enthusiasm… I’m sure they’d use it as another inducement to take up their premier subscription…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just wait until they start putting ads in the feed

They are 🙁

A few special athletes can now post content in the feed, other than activities, like photos, adventure reports, and gear reviews

‘Special people’ 😆

Oh dear

To be fair I already know of one ‘brand ambassador’ who does it in his feed, but this will be so much worse…

fifeandy
    Free Member

A few special athletes can now post content in the feed, other than activities, like photos, adventure reports, and gear reviews

Time to remember my password for Garmin connect 🙁

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

where before it just reported chronologiacally who’d done what lately, kudos or not… which I much prefered.

Same here, so is it going to put your own rides out of date order now based on kudos etc 😕

I log my commutes for mileage but it would be nice to have the option not to see them as I’m sure lots of people don’t like the same boring rides appearing in their feed 😆

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I follow lots of people and lots of people follow me.

I only tend to follow people I have ridden with or spoken with rather than just randoms. I ride with and speak with many people.

Some randoms follow me but I don’t really mind.

There is an element of ego massaging but so what? If you don’t like social media then no-one is forcing you to partake.

Is the OP’s ego being massaged by this moving onto the second page?

finbar
    Free Member

I only use Strava as a training diary (and to collect Rapha Festive 500 badges), so I get a bit annoyed when people comment on my rides or give me ‘kudos’ – means I have to think about reciprocating.

I should just unfriend everyone on there really 😆

sirromj

Was wondering where I could post the fact that the top 100 members of the Singletrackworld Strava club collectively rode 14644.8 miles last week – quite impressive considering none of us ride a bike 😉

(I didn’t make the top 100 last week).

weeksy

That’s an impressive number!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Strava to massage Ego's’ is closed to new replies.