Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Strava stalkers
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Had a couple of rides in the last couple of days, nothing spectacular, just a smallish loop around FOD then an off road commute home last night, only about 11-12 k.
    In there were a handful of PR’s but nowhere near KOM’s.

This morning I have triathlete from California giving me kudos for both rides.

WHY?

Is it some form of spam or something as I can’t think of a logical reason why he’d want to look at my paltry 70-80ish kilometres a week considering he’s doing upwards of 300k per week?

legend
    Free Member

Cliff Nielson by any chance?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a few as I have the same name as a local national xc racer, does confuse them slightly…

DT78
    Free Member

I have this regularly. Think they are members of the same club. That said I’ve also got randoms from all round the world following me till I turned on enhanced privacy.

dknwhy

Yep. It’s weird. I had a random guy from Brazil giving me kudos for a couple of rides I did in the Alps. No idea why, as they were pretty bland.

davosaurusrex

I had kudos from triathlete Cliff Nielson from Phoenix a few days ago, looks like he moved recently looking at his strava feed. Is he just trying to get more followers by giving kudos to randoms? Weird. Imagine he has a product or service to sell.

jimjam
    Free Member

You will get spammers from time to time. Just set your profile to private. I had a different kind of stalking where two teenage brothers on dh bikes spent a month or two systematically trying to steal all my KOMS. Looked like all they did was session and repeat each track till they got it then on to the next one 😆

They got them all bar two, bless ’em.

flatfish
    Free Member

Cliff Nielson, thats the fella.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I get them from randoms every now and again. I’d doubt it’s stalking, probably someone browsing a club feed.

bigjim

Yeah I get kudos for doing terribly from Cliff Nielson too, whoever he is.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cliff Nielson, thats the fella.

He popped up on mine last night.

It wasn’t even a ride, it was 2x20min @100% FTP on the turbo. I presumed that without a GPS log that maybe it defaults to STRAVA HQ (a bit like Garmin have a default for the Garmin HQ) which was maybe in California and maybe local to him?

sniff
    Free Member

Why not stalk him and his plant powered ways? http://www.thecliffedge.net/

Or maybe his burd – http://www.thecliffedge.net/about/

larkim
    Free Member

My wife (only follower me and my son) gets Kudos regularly from some guy in Scotland for her running. Some people are just weird.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I get them from various club feeds, no big deal.

I also give them, (rarely and only for running), for efforts of suitable epicness

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know a few friends who kudos everything, a bit like some people ‘like’ everything on facebook.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I get around fifteen a day just commuting to and from work 😕 But then it’s not my fault, I can’t help being popular 8)

BoardinBob

I seem to be really popular in Germany for some bizarre reason. I’m the David Hasselhoff of mountain biking.

z1ppy

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I know a few friends who kudos everything, a bit like some people ‘like’ everything on facebook.

I’m some-one who give kudo to all my friends on strava (they are friends and tend not to be random strangers), as I think it’s healthy encouragement… I definitely do not do the same on FB.
    So they do not equate to the same thing
    Have had a couple of random ‘follow’ requests but not many, the only one I did accept was some-one looking to poach my routes (he freely admitted it)… which is fair enough, it’s why I started using strava myself!

nickc

I’ve some random guy from a ride I did in Wellingborough a couple of years ago, gives me kudos on everything…

whatever..if it makes him happy.

Northwind

I got stalked by GW 😯

ferrals
    Free Member

Kudosing is a kind of vicious / virtuous circle I find. I get kudos from someone and tend to then give it in return, whereby they give me more, ad infinitum.

I’ve followed a couple of randoms locally, typically when they are KOM of a segment I’m second in or vice versa, kind of stalkerish, but was having a good KOM battle on various sections with one of them so it’s a bit of fun.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’ve just had one from california, liking tonight’s TT is fine but last night’s commute was rather unremarkable.

joat

I give kudos for my friends’ rides, but only comment if it’s, well, worth commenting on.

cookeaa

Had someone at work mention that I keep popping up on the same segments he rides, but he’s not added me as a follower, I actually said, oh so you’ve been Strava stalking me, which was funny, but I think made him feel a little self conscious, I might go stalk him back an add some kudos to make it up…

lightman
    Free Member

All of you have have your rides open for everyone to see, I hope you have at least made your home private so nobody can see where your bikes live?!

Travis

Someone gave me a Kudos once, I then returned the favor, then it escalated, next we connected via LinkedIn, and then I passed some work his way.

You can look at it as another form on networking, and or as, this is someone who has the same interest in me.

shadowrider
    Free Member

My Cliff Nelson is from Chandler Arizona

njee20
    Free Member

All of you have have your rides open for everyone to see, I hope you have at least made your home private so nobody can see where your bikes live?!

Irrespective of privacy settings folk can look at individual rides all they want. Check any segment leaderboard and click on one of the times.

ferrals
    Free Member

yep if I am going to do a race i quite often look at the strava details of the past course to get an idea of hilliness and speed.

Never realised you could kudos someone without followin them.

lightman
    Free Member

Irrespective of privacy settings folk can look at individual rides all they want. Check any segment leaderboard and click on one of the times.

Which is exactly the reason you need to make sure you have set up a privacy zone!
    Also, they cant see anything if you block them.

flatfish
    Free Member

My Cliff Nelson is from Chandler Arizona

Sorry, mine is too but I realised that after the 15 minute edit window closed.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Cliff doesn’t like me…….!!…….follow me ya bastard!!…lol

thecliffedge
    Free Member

I see giving kudos as a form of providing encouragement for others. I frequent many many groups, right now and see many others’ activities via the group feeds. I have no malicious intentions and view Strava as an excellent medium for spreading a positive message through exercise.

Thanks to my ‘excessive kudo-giving’, I have connected with many awesome and inspiring people. I would encourage all those that wish to have their activities protected from peering eyes to set their accounts to “private”.

Ride on!

z1ppy

Which is exactly the reason you need to make sure you have set up a privacy zone!

Also worth checking that anyone you ride with, from your home, also has it setup as a privacy zone too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I really just use strava to log my mileage. I commute average 4 days a week, 8 miles each way, so about 65 miles a week plus any ‘leisure’ rides. Someone I know gives me kudos on every single ride. I dunno why. I don’t really look at anyone else’s activity, it’s purely for my own interest.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I don’t like the fact you can accidentally give Kudos (due to having large knobbly fingers on my Moby) and then unable to remove it. Its a bit sh#t like that.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Strava stalkers’ is closed to new replies.