Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Strava…….. Sorry if its been one before.
  • alexathome
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m new to this strava thing, only been on it a couple of months. It is quite addictive thou I must admit. But it’s really tough getting good results on it that’s for sure. Where I live there are some really good riders, pros etc that seem to have all the segments wrapped up and of course I’ll never get close to their times. Besides the advice of setting my own segments that end in my bathroom with the door locked is there any advice on getting ‘achievements’ to keep me motivated? Or should I try and wein myself off strava and go back to map my ride?

Cheers all

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Look at some of the sites that use the strava api to give more detailed info on how your performance is improving.

Also try some of the challenges.

The kom’s are just a bit if fun. As you go you will get some pr’s which is a good little encouragement.

chiefgrooveguru

Look at your own times rather than everyone’s. And now it’s muddy look at recent (weekly and monthly) leaderboards.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Nodrog2’s knob shaped ride around Thrunton is the main reason for using Strava.

alexathome
    Free Member

Hmmmm yer I suppose that I should set a segment on a loop I do. I know what a good time on that is already, so maybe it won’t help. Can I waste some of my wife’s money on gadgets to inspire me? What’s the one that shows yourself (via your best times) up the road on a little screen?

I’m just finding it hard to motivate myself to get out riding and wonder if this will help,

I think that if some gits locally were not so damn quick I’d have more motivation, you don’t like to see up there in lights how much slower you are, stupid strava.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Just aim at improving your own times and don’t worry about where you are too much.

Forget about others and use your own times as a target, you are where you are. Use the times as motivation.

Of course one of the otherways to improve is to cut corners etc, but then you’re only cheating yourself.

It’s not racing and a great tool for improving your own times and getting quicker.

A few people moan about strava and bin it, but I think they take it too seriously because their not as quick as they thought they were. Forget about the tables and work on your times.

clubber
    Free Member

As above, if you’re not going to trouble the KoM leaders then you can just use it to monitor your own times. You get achievements (Personal Records / PRs) for setting new personal best times.

or, just get on the EPO 😉

http://www.303cycling.com/boulder-commuter-receives-2-year-ban

alexathome
    Free Member

Thanks clubbed, sound advice. My misses has some evening primrose oil, I’ll nick some and see if it works 😉

I’ve managed to get a few KOMS but not good ones, just ones that no one else has bothered with ‘yet’

I am pretty sure that the usual suspects target all the local routes to get as many as they can, as I would too if I had the youth and the legs.

I think that I’ll change my strategy and just try and better my own times, sound advice.

martinhutch

You could always set up a private segment – then it’s just you against yourself.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Strava…….. Sorry if its been one before.’ is closed to new replies.