Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Strava on a Huawei phone (p9 lite) cutting out
  • damascus
    Free Member

Just bought a new Huawei p9 lite phone. A great phone for the money but it’s got an over sensitive battery killer app.

It seems to be OK on rides up to an hour but anything after that it cuts it off. When I open the phone strava recovers the ride but there’s a lot of straight lines etc.

If I unlock the phone every hour it’s fine but normally I don’t stop that often.

I’ve gone into settings, tried everything, told it to ignore strava but that didn’t work. Told it to ignore all apps and that didn’t work. Disabled the task killer and that didn’t work.

Has anyone got one and made it work? I can’t find a solution on Google. It seems lots of other users on Huawei phones of all models have the same issue.

Thanks

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

You need to make Strava a protected app. It’s in the settings somewhere

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve tried that too.

damascus
    Free Member

I finally got a response from Huawei but I’ve already done this. Waiting again for a reply.

On Wed, 20 Jul, 2016 at 10:12, mobile.uk
    <mobile.uk@mail01.huawei.com> wrote:
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Huawei Customer Care and we apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

Regarding this issue, I suggest you go to Settings> Advanced settings> Battery manager. In the Battery manager screen, tap on the settings icon (shaped as a cogwheel) in the right upper side of the screen. You will see there the option “Close excessively power-intensive apps” and make sure that it is not enabled.

I hope that the information above will prove to be helpful and for any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
    Sam
    Huawei Customer Care Team.

damascus
    Free Member

Has anyone else using a Huawei phone managed to find a fix?

Thanks

jay_tht
    Free Member

Got the same problem to with my P9 gets a hour in then stops.. gggrrr

cooie

That explains why Strava stopped on my Honor 7 when I did Pass’portes Du Soleil 👿

mattyfez

I’ve had a similar issue with my p9, not the lite version.. with map my ride, now and then it will draw a straight line for a kilometer, but it doesn’t seem as bad as the above but still annoying, my old htc m8 didn’t have this issue with mapmyride.

Mind you, I tend to run the phone in normal mode in the power settings, as opposed to ‘performance’ which I’ve not tried.

dubber
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but how are people finding the p9 camera for picture quality? As there’s quite a few mixed reviews. It’s on offer in carphone warehouse at the moment so has fallen into my price range. I would prob use an older phone for strava etc.

Thanks

Stu.

fizik
    Free Member

My p8 lites gps has packed up completely, used to seem to lose its fix and litter my strava rides with 120mph straight lines when it did work. Have read similar on the internet about these phones, avoid.

damascus
    Free Member

Phone is brilliant. Battery is fantastic. Pictures are far better than my htc one m7.

Would highly recommend it especially for the money but only if you have a garmin to strava.

Hopefully there will be an update shortly to fix it.

What’s the deal at carphone warehouse?

martinhutch

Mine has no problems with all-day stuff on Strava, just to complicate matters.

damascus
    Free Member

Hi Martin. What phone is it and what are your settings?

How long are you leaving strava recording for without touching the phone?

Thanks

dubber
    Free Member

@ Damascus
    My girlfriend got offered the p9 with 1gb data , 500 minutes , 5000 texts for £21 a month . This was an upgrade with EE (the EE shop next door couldn’t get close to this ??) We went in looking at the same deal on a Samsung a3 2016 for £15.50 a month on their own network , more basic phone but better looking. But all the staff in there seemed to be pushing the p9 (they were all showing everyone pictures on their own phones which they all happened to be p9’s so wasn’t sure if this was just a gimmick to push sales up on them)

I’m interested in it myself as I need a phone with a decent camera , but as I said previously there’s a lot of mixed reviews.

damascus
    Free Member

I think I might have fixed it.

For a while I’ve noticed the GPS keeps turning back on. Couldn’t work out why. I tried everything but couldn’t fix up.

Then I checked the web browser and Google was allowed to know my position. I’ve removed this and tested strava and it’s had no issues.

Going to do a longer ride 2mo to fully test it. Will report back.

As for the phone, it’s the best phone I’ve ever used. It’s as good as my friends new htc or Samsung at less than half the price. If I can fix the strava issue then I’d even recommend it!

damascus
    Free Member

Just a further update.

I stopped using my phone for strava as I’d been using my garmin. However, I’ve just seen this on the strava website. Looks promising. Will test it 2mo and let the fellow Huawei users know if it works

Settings –> Apps —> Advanced (left corner at bottom of the screen) —> Ignore optimization (last option of the menu) —> Allowed —> All Apps (it will now show all the apps on the list) —> Strava —> Allow. Now the app will ignore every energy saver settings allowing me to track without any issue.”

damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

Still cannot get this to work.

Strava have replied but it’s not good news

Keith (Help Center)
    May 28, 2:58 PM PDT

Hello,

Sorry about that – this is a known issue with this phone manufacturer. The Strava app is stopped at some point during the recording and that section of the activity will not be recorded. Unfortunately, we’ve tried various permissions and settings to prevent this, but have been unsuccessful.

The only thing that’s been reported as preventing the app from being closed is to keep the screen on while recording. To do this, go into the record settings (open the recording and tap the slider icon in the top left of the app) and enable ‘Keep screen on’. The battery will drain quicker with this setting enabled so to minimize the drain we suggest you turn the screen brightness down.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best,
    Keith
    Strava Support Team

Poopscoop

Would an app used to turn the screen on, say every 55 minutes, be a work around?

damascus
    Free Member

Yes, possibly.

Do you have anything in mind?

renton
    Free Member

I didn’t realise there was another thread on this and have started my own.

It’s very annoying to say the least.

I’m thinking of using a another phone for strava instead.

Apart from this I can’t fault the p9

jonnyzero
    Free Member

Ridiculous that this is not resolved yet, I’ll be going back to Samsung for my next phone.

My only solution to this problem… was to buy a Garmin. And it turns out their reliability is questionable also.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Strava on a Huawei phone (p9 lite) cutting out’ is closed to new replies.