Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Strava not finding GPS
  • RobinL

Just got a new Sony Z5 Compact and when I try to record an activity in Strava, it says acquiring GPS, then after a minute or two, says No GPS Signal. I have set GPS to high accuracy, un-installed and re-installed strava and it’s still not working – any ideas please ?

weeksy

Does the GPS functionality work within Google Maps/Location etc ?

RobinL

I have changed the settings to just use device rather than wifi and it shows my current location ?

weeksy

Go into Google maps and plot a route to somewhere… Does it work ?

RobinL

Yes …. directions from work to home look fine.

RobinL

GPS test app is showing No Fix and no accuracy despite being able to see a number ( 23 ) of satellites. Although I have never used this when it’s working so I don’t know what to expect !

tthew

Yes …. directions from work to home look fine.

I’d try using these directions to actually navigate then. It’s worked out a route from knowing your location, (because you told it in your search or from the WiFi or mobile phone mast). If it fails on route then that point to a GPS problem on the phone, not with the app.

What weeksy is asking is to try and isolate if it’s the phone, not the app, but is sounds like it’s the phone from your GPS test app.

tthew

oops – double post.

RobinL

I’ve spoken to both Vodafone ( supplier ) and Sony Support and the best suggestion is a Xperia Software Repair !
    This is a new phone, because I had a similar problem with my previous Z1 Compact after using successfully for 2 years.
    The routes shown on Strava were slowly looking more and more vague ( zig-zags ) and I thought it was the GPS slowly failing. I was due an upgrade, hence the new phone !

gonzy
    Free Member

couple of weeks ago at the top of jacobs ladder…getting ready for the big descent. wanted to time it. switched strava on. it connected to a gps signal. location setting was switched on on the phone.
    pressed start and shoved it in my pocket and i started riding. got to the bottom only to find that it had decided to pause itself after about 30 seconds and had allegedly clocked me going at about 164mph!!
    reinstalled it and then did the app update when i got home but i’ve not used it since

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Strava not finding GPS’ is closed to new replies.