Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Strava noob question
  • dashed
    Free Member

So just had my first ride with Strava (yes, this could be addictive). Anyway, it picked up some of the segments I rode but not all. I tried to set up a new segment and then it suggested a list of similar segments that exist, which look more like the trail I rode than my plot. So is this just something I have to put up with – the fact it doesn’t always track the route correctly? on an iphone btw…

muggomagic

I stopped using the Strava app as this happened all too often. I used motion x then uploaded to gpx file.
    Yes it is addictive, so addictive I went and bought a garmin edge 500.

tpbiker
    Free Member

is the a stw table? Would be interesting to know whos the fastest..and the slowest on here!

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, stw forumites, or something. Should know, I set it up 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Good man! Would’ve done that myself but I’m on my phone.

warton
    Free Member

wait till you’ve definitely got a PB on a segment, and possibly a KOM and it doesn’t register. heartbreaking…

simondbarnes

Strava is making me batter myself a bit on my commute. 2 KOMs today 🙂

crazy-legs

Strava is making me batter myself a bit on my commute. 2 KOMs today

Me too, I buried myself on a climb the other day and moved from 8th to 3rd. 🙂

Found out today there’s a segment on the road almost past my house but because I’ve set the privacy settings to hide the area round me, it won’t show up. This is annoying cos a mate is in 2nd and I know I can beat him!

Doing a Sportive tomorrow that uses timing by Strava – the organiser can’t be arsed with all the transponder stuff and doesn’t really believe in Sportive Timing anyway so all he does is put a few segments in on his routes.

simondbarnes

Found out today there’s a segment on the road almost past my house but because I’ve set the privacy settings to hide the area round me, it won’t show up. This is annoying cos a mate is in 2nd and I know I can beat him!

Move house 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I don’t use it on the commute, only on weekend rides and extended weekday rides, using every day would be too much

dashed
    Free Member

So you can’t “tell” it you’ve ridden a segment, even though it registered you going through the start and end points??

fontmoss
    Free Member

Same here but if you ride away from your house then back towards the segment and head off again it’ll pick it up. It’s just the start and end of rides it hides

muggomagic

No you can’t add it manually as such. There is certain criteria that is used to register the segment. It’s all explained in the Strava Zendesk

You can email them with the details and request that it is added if you think it should have registered.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

wait till you’ve definitely got a PB on a segment, and possibly a KOM and it doesn’t register. heartbreaking…

amen

just taken 57 secs off a KOM loop and it didn’t register it – ****!

session88
    Free Member

How does it work? Do you record a full route but if you ride between a segment it is supposed to pick it up for KOM etc?

What I mean is I dont have to start at point A press start then finish at point B and press stop?

Cheers

miketually
    Free Member

What I mean is I dont have to start at point A press start then finish at point B and press stop?

Just record a full ride and it should pick up all the segments you go through, whether you know they’re there or not.

session88
    Free Member

Thought that would be the case. Cool cheers.

timmys

Like anything in life the key is to use the right tool for the job. In this case, for recording a GPS track, you’re better off using a GPS unit rather than a telephone.

allthepies
    Free Member

Personally I use a telephone which happens to be a GPS also 🙂

wwaswas

a telephone which happens to be a GPS also

although telephone’s have pretty average gps capabilities compared with a dedicated unit.

timmys

Personally I use a telephone which happens to be a GPS also

I am aware of the concept 🙂

However, using a GPS that is; a) more accurate in the first place & b) usually on the bars rather than in a pocket, is a big help when you are trying to record a ride accurately for Strava.

Kato

wwaswas – Member
    although telephone’s have pretty average gps capabilities compared with a dedicated unit.

This. I’ve had no problems recording tracks since I bought a Garmin. When I was using my iPhone it was all over the place. Plus the phone would be flat within about 2 hours

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for garmins, or even better a GPS logger you can leave in a jersey pocket, I reckon my £20 one off ebay was even more accurate than my edge as it had a better view of the sky (someone else did some testing with a forerunner on their wrist with similar results).

Doing a Sportive tomorrow that uses timing by Strava – the organiser can’t be arsed with all the transponder stuff and doesn’t really believe in Sportive Timing anyway so all he does is put a few segments in on his routes.

Why pay for the sportive then? Park in the same place the next day, without having to fight for a place, ride the loop navigating by GPS, then spend the £30 on as much cake and coffee as you can consume at regular ‘feed stations’ and be glad it’s not SiS and half bananas.

I enjoy sportives, but I’d not pay for one!

nick1962
    Free Member

When I was using my iPhone it was all over the place. Plus the phone would be flat within about 2 hours

Think that might just be an iPhone issue,no such problems with my budget Chinese Android phone 🙂

wwaswas

Chinese Android

like normal Android but with more pictograms?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Strava noob question’ is closed to new replies.