Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Strava. E-Bikes. Why?!
  • wbss
    Free Member

Firstly, I think strava is balls.

I had an email to tell me some goon as burgled one of my KOMs from 2013 on a sodding E-bike.

frankly, what is the point of logging E-bike rides on strava?

You might as well include the car journey there and back too?

wwaswas

Firstly, I think strava is balls.

yet you still use it?

if it *really* bothers you dispute their time with Strava, it’ll get deleted.

ndthornton
    Free Member

How did you know it was on an e-bike?

mos

I didn’t realise people took KOM’s so seriously?

wbss
    Free Member

i had an email from strava informing me of it.

i don’t care. I just thought it was hilarious.

User name is something like ebikecoaching

njee20
    Free Member

Hilarious enough to start a thread ranting about it? On a service that’s “balls”. But you still use it? And you don’t care?

Oooook.

Just flag it. Not difficult.

amedias
    Free Member

what is the point of logging E-bike rides on strava?

because its a bike ride, and he was riding a bike, and they use Strava to capture mileage and routes and compare to their own past performances?

A seperate category on the boards might be a nice feature for Strava to add so you can split based on human-only and assisted-power results if you were being really picky, but then you could say the same about segments where the KOM is only achievable with a massive tailwind, and drafting.

Basically, just get over it. 🙂

ndthornton
    Free Member

User name is something like ebikecoaching

At least he’s not hiding it
    He’s out…. and load n proud

v666ern
    Free Member

surely you 29 people are all cheating us 26er people with your faster rolling wheels.

i demand the follwing categories

26 ht
    26fs
    27.5ht
    27.5fs
    29ht
    29fs
    fat
    ebike
    hybrid
    roady
    carbon
    steel
    ti
    pro
    semi pro
    lazy

good rant though x

nealglover
    Free Member

username is something like ebikecoaching

My username is nealglover

But I’m not wearing gloves.

GregMay
    Free Member

SS

aracer
    Free Member

e-bikes in the TdF then? Is insisting on human-only power being picky?

If Strava is going to be any use at all at comparing yourself with other people, then there is a huge difference between using an e-bike and having tailwind assistance. Where exactly do you draw the line, e-bike OK, motor scooter not?

legend
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

That makes you GW’s new account!

I claim my 50p

martinhutch

You would say that though, wouldn’t you?

Would be gutting for the OP if he found that Mr Ebike’s ebike was in the garage that day. You need more than a username – does the ride data suggest it too? If so, just flag it.

ndthornton
    Free Member

BOOM-TISH

Would be gutting for the OP if he found that Mr Ebike’s ebike was in the garage that day

I find that highly unlikely

aracer
    Free Member

Are you going to post up a link to the ride? One on here recently which I think we eventually worked out to most likely be an e-bike from the data. Alternatively you could just flag it and stop worrying.

amedias
    Free Member

e-bikes in the TdF then

Strava isn’t a regulated racing format though is it?

Like I said, category/filter listing options might be nice, but ultimately it’s a semi-social tool for comparing your own performance, sometimes that’s against other riders, but they could be fitter than you, on a different bike, tailwind assisted, electric assisted etc, which is why you always take it with a pinch of and salt and compare with riders of roughly the same or a known ability as you.

I don’t see the problem with people logging E-Bike rides with it*, especially if their username makes it as obvious as that, he’s probably done that deliberately because there are no filters.

*other than it being against Strava T+Cs unless listing it as private/other workout. If they made a category then they could be public without a problem

njee20
    Free Member

I’d not expect you to be, unless your name was Nealgloves, glover sounds like an occupation to me. I’d always assumed your role was to put gloves on others.

DON’T TELL ME I’VE BEEN WRONG ALL THIS TIME!?

amedias
    Free Member

I’d always assumed your role was to put gloves on others

He could be both the Glover and the Glovee though could he not?

wbss
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

@amedias Do you really not get the difference between an e-bike and a tailwind? If an e-bike is OK, then why not a motor scooter? Maybe they should add a motor bike category too whilst they’re at it.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Strava fans:

http://www.strava.com/activities/260278104

Hahahahahaha, yeah minor difference in speed there then!
    Flag it, and have him dragged through the streets and flogged while being ridden by a semi naked Nigel Farage.

qtip

If you take a look at the emtbcoaching web page then you’ll see they coach normal mountain bikers too. What’s to say he wasn’t riding a normal MTB? It is possible that he’s just faster than you.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh wow, local to me – some segments I’m on (though not the one in question). I’ll flag it if you don’t!

ndthornton
    Free Member

I’m on that segment – though never realized it was one!
    Who is he – lets string him up!!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Strava fans:

http://www.strava.com/activities/260278104

I don’t think you’re really Silvio Burlesconi – what else aren’t you telling us?

medoramas
    Free Member

From my experience: you say “I don’t care!” to the whole Strava-thing only until you loose one of your KOMs (which you had to gain before, obviously). Then the game changes. Well… Shall I say “life” instead of “game”? 😆

martinhutch

He certainly trashed your Bunga Bunga fun there. 😀

I can imagine the conversation at Strava HQ now.

“Who to believe, Mr Ebike or Mr corrupt former PM?”

ndthornton
    Free Member

2.5 mins difference – def legit 🙂

beano68
    Free Member

I took Strava way to **** seriously at first as it took the enjoyment out of my rides so stopped using it 😡 Now gone back to Moveslink and just log and ride my bike and no need to chase segments anymore.. its lush 😆

njee20
    Free Member

ndthornton
    Free Member

That’s a daft segment anyhow – everyone always stops at the stone circle for a 5 minute chat before starting the climb – maybe he just didn’t stop and that’s where the big difference comes from…..?

zippykona

Obviously anyone who is quicker than me is definitely on an e bike.
    All e bikes shold be made to look a divi as possible by law.

amedias
    Free Member

@amedias Do you really not get the difference between an e-bike and a tailwind? If an e-bike is OK, then why not a motor scooter? Maybe they should add a motor bike category too whilst they’re at it.

Of course I get the difference, that’s why I’m sating a category for them would be a good thing, but I’m also saying that in the mean time while there isn’t one I’m OK with people still using Strava while on eBikes, especially if it’s obvious from the profile name and givven all the other dirty-data problems with Strava I take it with a pinch of salt even when things are correctly categorised.

eBikes are going to become more and more popular and I think excluding them from Strava is not the way forward, and the current rule of forcing rides to be private isn’t a great solution.

But then I’m just some random bloke on the Internet so my opinion carries about as much weight as yours, we don’t have to agree, I’m just saying how I feel about eBikes on Strava.

— SIDE NOTE —

eBikes are ven harder to categorise as there’s so many variatiosn in the way they work, some cut the assist at a certain speed, some cut the assist at a torque/power output, some have been chipped to not cut the assist until you’re doing 30mph+, most have selectable boost options too so you have almost as much variation in assistance levels and options as you do variation in fitness between riders.

Even with a category for them on Strava you’ll get people griping about chipped bikes being used and things like that, its the same problems all over again, which brings you back tot eh same conclusion, that you can only use Strava as a basic comparison tool with your own previous performance, or if you want to compare against others you either need to do so against people of roughly-known ability, and take everything else with a pinch of salt.

If you want a proper comparison then racing is the option, Strava isn’t regulated on routes and shortcuts, weather condtions or anything else so you can only go so far with the data it provides.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t understand why e-bikes riders need to be able to upload their rides publicly to Strava any more than motor bike riders do. What exactly is wrong with the current solution of not allowing vehicles which don’t meet the criteria? If you want to use Strava, ride something human powered, it’s quite simple.

Suggesting that it’s OK because there is other dodgy data is whataboutery at its finest.

Just my opinion, but thankfully (for once) Strava and the wider community appears to agree with me.

eBikes are ven harder to categorise as there’s so many variatiosn in the way they work…

You make an excellent argument for why they shouldn’t be allowed on Strava.

andytherocketeer

e bikes are human powered (mostly)

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t see why they shouldn’t upload to Strava (it’s a good tool for logging ones riding after all), but they should be excluded from leaderboards, as indeed they are.

You could use Strava to track the miles you drive if you make everything private for all I care!

aracer
    Free Member

Some of them might be, but I’m not sure that’s universally true – where do you draw the line?

AlexSimon

They have separate sections for Ride, walk, swim, etc, so they could just add ebike.

poah
    Free Member

this thread is a waste of the internet

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Strava. E-Bikes. Why?!’ is closed to new replies.