Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Strava – anybody managed to walk away?!
  • ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I tend to only use it for road stuff but more as an overall tool to see what distance, average speed, calories burned etc. are and not because I think I can beat anyone on specific segments. I’ve used it once or twice for a mtb ride but I don’t see the point as it just spoils the fun you have on the trail if you are constantly wotrying whether you’ve beaten someone on a segment etc. I go mtb to have fun not stress out whether or not I’m quicker than someone I don’t know, I’m slower than my mate I ride with so keeping up with him is usually my motivation.

cheekyget
    Free Member

It’s all about the strava for me…..for the road bike anyway…..MTB ..I’m no too fussed

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Used Strava for a bit. Took it with me for my first ‘big’ weekend MTB ride with it a week later. Broke my sternum and displaced my collarbone, during the same ride. Haven’t used it ever since.

I’m not sure it’s the most healthy thing really, for someone ‘hyper-aroused’ like me. I don’t struggle for motivation just riding about on my own anyways. With it, though, I turn into a prat.

nach
    Free Member

no_eyed_deer: oof. Does the same happen to you if you wear an action camera?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Good job you mentioned that ‘cos I was starting to feel a bit ‘camera curious’ – might nip that one in the bud before it starts then – as I feel it could turn out similarly! 🙄

nach
    Free Member

It did me, but I found the effect wore off in a few rides.

adsh
    Free Member

Once a week my programme has me doing 5 minute hill repeats until I nearly chuck. Being able to see if I’ve improved is a good motivator when I want to throw in the towel 3 minutes in

jody
    Free Member

Strava is a great bit of kit. Use it all the time when I am out regardless of road or MTB. It helps keeping me motivated, pushing up hill when I really can’t be arsed and is great for keeping track of progress. Seeing friend’s rides also helps me get out instead of putting it off for other things,
    Most climbs I am in the bottom quarter and this is what motivates me, as I realise how much fitness I have lost in the 12+ years of being out of the saddle. It becomes a little dangerous chasing times on the offroad downs though especially when my skill set is not what it used to be. I try to not do this too much as I have a family to look after.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mostly just use the social side of it to chat about and share rides. Don’t really pay that much attention to the whole KOM thing.

bigrich

look at a new area, download .gpx files, find new trails.

Jamz
    Free Member

Good news folks! Soon you’ll be able to get LIVE stava segments on your Garmin while riding:

“Although Strava Live Segments will be available first on the 520 (more info on that below), a firmware update in the third quarter of the year – so some time between now and the end of September – will make it available on the Garmin Edge 1000, 810, and 510 devices.”

road.cc article

Wahoooooo! cannot wait…

luke1688

Anyone else get a bit frustrated with it. Ride tonight with a mate and we were both using it, 2 and a half minute descent and I’m in front all the way down and getting away. My mate ends up being a minute faster than me? How does that work? Same phone and same version of strava?

jam-bo

Anyone else get a bit frustrated with it. Ride tonight with a mate and we were both using it, 2 and a half minute descent and I’m in front all the way down and getting away. My mate ends up being a minute faster than me? How does that work? Same phone and same version of strava?

you will have either ridden into the segment and then stopped at the top, or stopped before the end of the segment.

they should start putting handy orange markers on trees and stuff….

luke1688

Pretty sure I didn’t jambo? It’s a section within a descent so I’m pedalling into and out of it. It is half covered by trees though so I’m thinking interrupted signal

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Strava – anybody managed to walk away?!’ is closed to new replies.