• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stratford upon Avon/ Warwick
  • timidwheeler

Anyone know this area? Mr TW is injured and can’t ride or drive. We fancy a weekend away and we can get to this area by train. Any pub/hotel/things to do recommendations? Outdoors stuff good but must only need one hand 😀

Cheers

rOcKeTdOg

Lots of good pubs in Warwick,”younger” bars and restaurants in leamington. Towns are so close together they are basically one. Lovely canal walk from one to the other too
    If you’ve never been the castle is good fun. Riverside walks. Best beer from The Wild Boar 2 mins walk from warwick station.
    Best cake is cafe architects in leam

bamboo
    Free Member

+1 to the wild boar.

Also try the cape of good hope on the canal in Warwick, good food and beer

timidwheeler

Thanks guys. Sounds like Warwick trumps Stratford.

Eyepic
    Free Member

I would be careful about Warwick and especially around the canals….. When Dangerfield was on folks were constantly being “bumped off” …. must be one of the most dangerous places in UK if not the world.

LeeW

SO works in Warwick, hateful place. Closed on Sundays. Leamington a bit livelier but good god it’s up it’s own harris.

timidwheeler

Cheers Lee. Read that post about 10 minutes after I booked a romantic weekend in Warwick town centre 😆

Not worried about being bumped off. I worked in Midsomer for three years.

onewheelgood

I live in Warwick, wouldn’t call it hateful. It’s quite sleepy, so if you are expecting Las Vegas I can see that you might be disappointed. The castle is interesting, but not cheap. There are some good pubs/bars – as well as the Wild Boar, the Punchbowl and The Old Post Office both have a good selection of beers. The canal is a good walk – go to Leamington, or go the other way up the Hatton flight of locks and there’s a good cafe and an OK pub at the top. St Mary’s church is spectacular, more like a cathedral, and the view from the top of the tower is great. You can get a bus to Kenilworth and see the castle there too – it’s totally different to Warwick and has some interesting stories.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The Bear in Kenilworth was always a good drink. Live music too iirc.

kayak23

I live in Leamington. It’s a nice town really. Lovely gardens at Jephson gardens on the main street. Lots of shopping if that’s your thing. Saxon Mill is nice in Warwick for food and can be walked to. Lovely spot by the river.
    Stratford is ok, very busy and a bit too much Shakespeare milking.
    Good area to visit though. All areas are accessible with one hand.

timidwheeler

Best food pub in Warwick?

nre
    Free Member

I live in Warwick too. As above, saxon mill is lovely location and OK for food. Saffron in town great for curry. Chopsticks for Chinese. Walk down Smith Street and you can find loads of nice places to eat, 2 OK pubs in market place too. The walk to Hatton along the canal is pleasant and the locks cafe is great, Hatton arms also good.

IHN

For something a bit different and for a bit of culture, there’s always the RSC in Stratford. Great theatre, and great restaurant in there too.

onewheelgood

Best food pub in Warwick?

Without knowing how you judge a food pub, it’s hard to say. The Rose and Crown certainly thinks it’s them:
    http://www.roseandcrownwarwick.co.uk/gastro-pub/
    If you are OK with their prices, they may well be right.

timidwheeler

I like pubs who sell hearty traditional food. Big burgers, nice steaks, proper pies and most importantly decent chips (not stacked into a jenga).

hora
    Free Member

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186400-d968239-Reviews-The_Aubergine-Warwick_Warwickshire_England.html

We went here, round the corner is a lovely square with nice pubs. Hateful place? That’s abit strong. What does ‘SO’ mean? Are you from mumsnet?

bamboo
    Free Member

If you like hearty food then definitely try the cape of good hope on the canal. Traditional pub with great food and great beers

As mentioned, the Saxon mill is a nice environment but it is very gastro pub, and I often find the food very underwhelming

rOcKeTdOg

Oh and go to the Portuguese cafe in Coten End, 5 mins walk from the station & opposite the sainsburys local. Amazing cakes in there!
    http://www.pastelariaportuguesa.co.uk

pondo

I quite like Stratford, there’s nice pubs but there’s a definitely a hint of slightly posh tourist town. The RSC is fantastic however.

rmgdsc76
    Free Member

I live in Stratford.. Lovely place, and much quieter this time of year.. Lots of walks along the river and welcome hills, and easy peddling along the disussed Greenway cycle lane. Lots of quirky Cafes and restaurants and the RSC is worth spending time in, back stage tours and tower lookout are good.. Check out the BEAR Pub on the river, box brownie for coffee. Anymore advice or MTB routes needed let me know..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Crabmill, Durham Ox??

LeeW

The Crabmill is ok, one of it’s sister pubs – the Farm is my nearest pub/restaurant. Bit pretentious but ok.

Durham Ox used to be great, do they still do the cheese table?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stratford upon Avon/ Warwick’ is closed to new replies.