• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Strange overland conveyor belt thingy?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Was out in the country round Midlothian today. Came across a massive covered conveyor belt thingy between Middleton and Gladsmuir Reservoir. I’ve seen it before and assumed it was derelict but today it was running. Anyone care to enlighten me as to it’s purpose? If it’s agriculture why not fill the harvest into tractor trailers? something to do with the lime works at Middleton maybe?

Didn’t stop for a picture, natch. Too busy being a badass on my bike…

Jamie
    Free Member

Used to be loads round my way from LBC’s brick pits. Assume something similar, given you mention lime works.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Maybe it’s for a jet plane????

tomhoward

Reckon a plane could take off from it?

soobalias
    Free Member

i think it was put together back in ’04
    someone challenged a big hitter in the “aeroplane on a conveyor belt” thread.
    dont remember the outcome tbh

MussEd
    Free Member

Nah, you’re not reading my post lads.The moving belt was covered. No plane could get it’s landing gear on there…

jonba
    Free Member

IT’s about air speed not land speed so it doesn’t matter if the belt is covered the wheels don’t provide propulsion.

But I have no idea what the conveyor belt was really for.

T666DOM

It’ll be for transporting rocks/rubble, they use a belt system in a local potash mine

richmars

As T666DOM. One near here was used for gravel extracted from pits. it used to move around as the pits moved. It went across a river once, always tempted to use it as a bridge.

kcal

we have, or had one – extraction of gravel, sorts it, at a mobile sifter, then conveyor belt runs to near the quarry / pits entrance..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Strange overland conveyor belt thingy?’ is closed to new replies.