Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Strange noise whilst tightening stem clamp on carbon bars
  • yoshimi

Been playing about with different stem lengths, heights etc – got one of those Ritchey WCS wet black stems, tightening up to the correct torque (using a torque wrench) on my Eaton Monkeylites and heatrd a horrible sound as if I’d started to seriously over tighten them – took the bar off and a visual inpection shows no signs of damage – would you still use them? The monketlites are abuot a nmonth old, before that I had used the same Monkey bars for about 5 years, noe regretting the upgrade:(

yoshimi

my word, reading that back, I clearly have very fat fingers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is your torque wrench accurate at the low torque loads for a stem?

geoffj

Is your torque wrench accurate? Has it been calibrated recently? Are you a clumsy ham fisted oik (3rd one applies to me 🙂 )
    If it sounds borked, it probably is – you don’t want bars snapping mid ride. Instant fail + face plant. Why risk it?

lowey

You would be fine riding them mate… in fact I;d even suggest chucking yourself off a shed with them.

Seriously, If I was in ANY doubt about my bars, I’d bin them.

BigJohn

I can’t vouch for the safety of your bars, but windsurfers (when clamping their boom onto a carbon mast) always tighten it until they hear that satisfying creaking, crunching sound. Then we know it won’t slip down.

yoshimi

I’m pretty certain the torque wrench is ok, its the small Park one so only goes up to about 5nm anyway……….Lowey, I think you’re right, even though I am a light rider with lots of finesse :roll:, just don’t think its worth the risk – I think bars snapping whether on a drop or just riding along would be pretty nasty – ah well back to the trusty Alu Monkeybars

Big John, I’d like to think they’re ok but reckon I’d always be waiting for something to happen:(

sq225917
    Free Member

They’ll be fine you should have friction greased them first.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Strange noise whilst tightening stem clamp on carbon bars’ is closed to new replies.