Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Strange noise – BB probably
  • atlaz
    Free Member

So I’ve finished building my new road bike and there’s a really odd noise from the left hand crank. It’s a BB30 FSA carbon thing, the LBS greased and fitted the BB and I’ve put loads of grease on the threads and the splines. It’s only the left hand crank that makes the noise when pedalling (I’ve unclipped and pedalled one-foot at a time) and I’ve swapped pedals so it’s not those. I made a crap youtube video to show what the noise sounds like…

So, any suggestions? I am concerned about over tightening the cranks and I’ve tried with 0-1-2 and 3 spacers.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ4u0MMxkSo[/video]

samuri
    Free Member

Have you had the BB out and checked?
    Have you taken the crank off and cleaned it verily and then regreased, put it back?

Does it do it when you’re stood up?

atlaz
    Free Member

It does it a bit when stood up but not so loudly. It’s done a total of 30km so far, BB was installed by the shop. Cranks were brand new and all I did was add grease and fit them.

tinribz
    Free Member

Had some thing similar. On an octalink chain set but drive side. Tried a new BB, new pedal, tightening etc. It was the splines just worn out, could have been shoddy workmanship fitting, probly was, I’d refitted a few times. Anyway, just cut my losses and got a square taper instead.

metal_leg
    Free Member

Chainring bolts. Defo chainring bolts. Undo, grease, redo.

EDIT: unless you already greased them. Then its your seatpost.

atlaz
    Free Member

Chainring bolts but only does it on the non-drive side?

metal_leg
    Free Member

You put power through chainrings from both pedals. If all else has been ruled out…

atlaz
    Free Member

yeah, but if I unclip and pedal with only my right leg, it doesn’t make the noise

metal_leg
    Free Member

Why not just try and see? Bloke in our club had exactly the same problem – lbs went right for the chainring bolts as they never get greased in the factory. Sounded just like yours. I should know I had to listen to it for 40 miles.

atlaz
    Free Member

In their wisdom, FSA have used T30 chainring bolts, something I don’t have here. Trip to the LBS no matter what then :/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Strange noise – BB probably’ is closed to new replies.