Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Strange legality problem, any experts about?
  • 40mpg

Allthegear, that car you cleaned was dropped round by a major crime boss to remove incriminating prints after a seriously violent robbery, the jewellery having been dropped in the boot during the getaway. Police have been waiting for 15 years for the gems to be laundered so they can finger the culprit.

Just a thought…

allthegearnoidea
    Free Member

Last 2 points are very valid, if scary.

I can’t morally just sell it as scrap, & I can’t sell it as the owner, so what to do now, drop it at a charity shop?

PS, CharlieMungus & others that I have not answered/quoted directly, your opinions are most valued & obviously just as valid, it just that some of them take the urine or are a little less pressing than others 😉

Cheers.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Seriously though, I’d hang on to it for a while, because you’ve been so public here, then sell it on. Claim it was found

allthegearnoidea
    Free Member

Thanks, but I have no intent to profit now, this thread has made me think a bit. I’m now looking for the easiest way out with a balance of morally/ legally right.

Cheers.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Just hand it in saying you found it, just be prepared for the when and where questions. You don’t have to go into details about finding it in a hoover 15 years ago! Come on now common sense, you are hardly going to get done now for theft, it’s just to make people think about these things and you did ask, so we is telling you it is theft 😉
    good luck and don’t fret!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If it has a serial number you might be able to trace the owner via the manufacturer / retailer. failing that hand it in to the cops

allthegearnoidea
    Free Member

MC, if I don’t have to go in to the Hoover story, then how do I answer the when and where question?

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Are you Lindsay Lohan?

crankboy
    Free Member

The legal position is as Mungechick has posted. There is always a possible argument about dishonesty as at the end of the day what is dishonest boils down to what twelve random people think is dishonest on the day of trial. munggechick gives you an idea of the questions you would have to answer if you wanted some one to say you were not dishonest.

The practicalities of prosecuting you so long after the event are large but not insurmountable. Your successful prosecution would however depend on you supplying information to the police or them reading STW.

The reality is if you hand it in saying it is lost but traceable by it’s product number you are sure it came originally from a car sold to x co and leave it at that then if the true owner can be traced and reunited with their necklace they will be if not it will come back to you after 3 months.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If you need a back story, tell them it has been in with the toy jewellery for the last 15 years and that you only just noticed it might be worht something.

Can’t you send ti to MC’s husband for him to take to the station. I’m sure he won’t ask any awkward questions.

wwaswas

and hope it’s not someone who uses stw at the place you sell it…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

LOL @ Charlie Mungus!
    just do as Crankboy says.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Strange legality problem, any experts about?’ is closed to new replies.