Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Strange and annoying brake problem
  • mudmuncher

Out today and my front brake squeaking a fair amount. Every time I got off, lifted the wheel and span it was absolutely fine with no hint of rubbing. Could it be something to do with the forks flexing and moving the disk out of alignment?

steviecapt
    Free Member

same problem as you, ive got rigid carbon forks, solved it by changing the compound of disc pads, from sintered to semi mettalic superstar pads, ok they dont last as long but for £18 you get 4 pairs so no problem, worth it to get rid of the annoying squeals, cheers steve

mudmuncher

Thanks might try that if it doesn’t go away. Just to clarify it is squeaking when I’m not pressing the brake levers. Bike is anthem x1 29er with Fox F29 evolution forks and avid elixir 5 brakes.

thejesmonddingo

Try setting caliper position using feeler gauges rather than the Avid method,cured my squealing and dragging brakes.
    Ian

mudmuncher

I assume avid method is just loosening off, pressing brake and retightening? I’ve done this a few times without success.

What is the feeler gauge method – assume you use two thin feeler gauges pushed either side of the pads to get them central? – correct?

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I’d like to know the answer too.I’ve got Elixir 1s, they used to squeal like a stuck pig. Moved to a 15mm axle and they still squeal but not as much. They are close to being ditched as they are so annoying except when you want to warn walkers of your approach, then it has its uses.

steviecapt
    Free Member

ive always found it best to align the calipers by eye, or sometimes ive put a cut up credit card as spacers either side of the pads, this helps to reset the pistons, also make sure you havnt got a sticky piston, if you have use some brake fluid on the pistons to free them up, make sure you wipe off the excess before replacing the pads though cheers steve

steviecapt
    Free Member

ive found my elixer 3s dont like sintered pads so i use the semi mettalic pads no probs since switching, they seem to squeal when using the harder compound pads,

pembo6
    Free Member

I have had the same problem with my Elixir 3. Piston wont fully retract, Wheel spins fine but as soon as I use the brake, one of the pistons stays out and rubs slightly on brake.

Plus Elixirs just seem to squeal when braking from what I have read. Good to know the semi metallic pads may fix it??

coatesy
    Free Member

The squeaking you’re experiencing will be the pads brushing the rotor at some point, so to cure it you’ll need to find out what’s allowing it to happen. Check your wheel’s fully in the dropout (if using a QR axle), and that the QR is tight so the wheel can’t move(check the rotor’s bolts too).Once that’s sorted, grip the wheel at the rim, and feel for any slight movement in the hub bearings that will allow the rotor to move side to side.Once that’s ok, sight down through the caliper, rotate the wheel, and check the rotor’s true,any side to side movement may cause contact(straighten using an adjustable spanner, or the correct tool), then check that the rotor is central between the pads in all planes, Avid’s CPS system allows for vertical, horizontal, and diagonal alignment(and mis-alignment too, unfortunately).Best method for this, is to loosen one end off, then loosen the other enough that you can barely move the caliper, and “walk” it into place a bit at a time by alternating which bolts are tight/ loose.

gonzy
    Free Member

could also be that the rotor or pads are glazed with comething…
    take the rotor off and clean with isopropyl alcohol or a dedicated disc cleaner…while its off you might as well check if the rotor is warped anywhere by placing in on a clean flat surface…
    to increase the bite on the rotor you can also lightly sand the rotor( do this in an vertically outwards fashion, moving away from the centre of the rotor)
    check the pads arent contaminated or dirty…also give them them a light sanding to remove the surface dirt/glaze but do this in the opposite direction to what you did on the rotor…
    fit it all back together and it should help the squealing die down

chriswilk
    Free Member

take the pads out and check that they are not too tight in the calliper.
    I had this problem with some hays and the problem turned out there was some corrosion on the edge of the metal backing on the pads causing them to stick in the calliper and not return properly

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Strange and annoying brake problem’ is closed to new replies.